[1.1.x] Speedy's Hex Truss System

SpeedyB

I have one other request once you have some time to think: Crew Tubes. The trusses look excellent and I like the goal of adding on panels also. I use truss systems and often they are the most efficient way to connect hab parts at an angle. The thing that bugs me is none of them (that I have seen) have visual accommodation for crew to move through them. Like your Hex Truss Hub, it has two circular mounting points...but I could see an alternative with a pressurized shell for crew to move through the truss.

Your doing excellent work Speedy and crew, keep it up.

If you look in the OP, you'll see "crew quarters and passages" under Planned Parts.

Ahhh...blind am I...fool do I feel...Yes.

Though looking I see a thought in the list, reactors. I do like a good reactor...but something no bound by reality..that much. This is something I thought of and sent to RoverDude...figure it may help you guys also as Rover is a little busy.

A thought for you...I do not have the skills to do what is needed. So I thought you might t-find this more interesting. Plus...we have so many things starting with a K... ;-D

Mineral: Acktonium

Originally found by kerbal miners, it was thought to be a kind of rock candy. After a few of the miners tried to eat some becoming deathly sick in the process, it was names Acktonium from the sound of "Ack, that is not a snack." followed by vomiting and all sorts of other unspeakable noises.

Acktonium was later looked at by Kerbal scientists who had plenty of snack on hand, and was found to not only react bady with Kerbal physiology but was also unstable releasing particles and slowly breaking down into other elements. When concentrated the Acktonium would also generate a lot of heat, unfortunately the research center was lost when the material went critical as the scientists were busy making smores. But there are always more Kerbals.

Reactor Core: The reactor core unit does not hold any Acktonium, instead it acts as a central control and power generating mechanism. The core unit Has nodes for the placement of Acktonium Reactor Chambers or ARC's. The amount of power that the core can generate is directly related to the number and type of ARC's attached to it. But a reactor core is limited in the number of ARC units it can hold, smaller units only holding one while larger units can hold many more.

Acktonium Reactor Chamber: The ARC is a self contained modular reactor that has Acktonium in it. ARC units range in capacity from 25 to 100 energy per second based on the Core they are mounted to. The ARC came about when Jeb saw the research and hazards that Acktonium presented. Seeing that this material was too tempting to took some Coffee cans, tubing, some shielding, and made the ARC to keep it out of his own mouth. Later his designs were purchased by Icky Things Inc. and mass produced as a safe and reliable power solution no Kerbal could eat.

ARC's are mounted to the Reactor Core radially. The Acktonium in the ARC is guaranteed to be good for a year of continuous operation. After that time the Acktonium is inert and useless. Fortunately while not in use, Acktonium will not decay. ARC's can thusly be used all at once or one unit at a time depending on the mission.

The ARC's can also be replaced in flight through the use of an EVA. The spent ARC can be easily removed and a new one installed due to a recent innovation in the design...handles. Spent units can be placed into an ARC Processor to have the Acktonium replaced and the ARC restored to operation...assuming you have mined the Acktonium.

ARC Processor: This module, while large (2.5m+ form factor) is a one stop shop for refining Acktonium and putting it into ARC units. It needs a good amount of power to operate, but given the lifespan of an ARC unit while in use, it is worth it to keep ARC's running without having to wait months for a new shipment so you can make your popcorn.

Colonial Facility: The Acktonium Power Facility is a second generation colonial structure that takes Acktonium and produces power at a higher efficiency than the Power Distribution Module. It requires a constant flow of Acktonium, but will provide a base with a supply of energy for much of its needs. the APF is useless without a large amount of Acktonium, so it is only recommended that it be used after suitable drilling operation have commenced.

---

I Admit it, I am an idea (explative)...any one that wants them can have them for a can of Dr. Pepper...I am so ashamed!

Edited by SyberSmoke

The Deployable Solar Panel part for the Hex Truss is ready to launch. Just load it into your GameData directory.

See post # 114 for the Solar Panels

In the images, the Solar Panel part is sitting atop the standard short Hex Truss.

3Aej7lz.jpgSKhBqhr.jpgpoa3GcB.jpgULeqG8D.jpg

SpeedyB has my permission to include this in any future update.

Edited by Apollo13

MQ3ebOL.jpg

Version 2 of the Hex Truss Solar Panels is now available

This version allows the solar panels to track the sun position to ensure the most energy is generated. The first version consisted of a single part with three panels (which prevented sun tracking...a game engine limitation). The newest version is actually two parts: a Hex Solar Truss and Hex Solar Panels. You first place the Truss, then place each of the three Panels (blue panels facing inwards). Each panel generates 12 electric; totals 36 for a fully-loaded Solar Truss.

Additionally, given the modular structure of the Hex Solar Truss, I may create non-solar modules for the Hex Solar truss:

-- Different panels which are more and/or less efficient than these. Less efficient are cheaper than more efficient.

-- KAS containers

-- TAC life support

-- Snack life support

-- Monoprop

-- Batteries

-- Cargo bays

See post # 114 for the Solar Panels

License is the same as SpeedyB's Hex Truss System license. SpeedyB has my permission to include this in all future Hex Truss System releases.

A special Thank You to raidernick, who was instrumental in resolving a particulary nasty issue.

If you use TweakScale, you'll need to download this TweakScale cfg file to see the changes - Hex Truss System

Edited by Apollo13

Configurable Trusses

In post #52, a request for trusses without pipes was made. There was further discussion about whether that could be configurable in the VAB. The answer is Yes, it can be.

This is a direct replacement for the Hex Truss Long.

Configurable Hex Truss Long

3aK2Qct.png

Installation: place the directory under the GameData directory

Usage: In the VAB, after adding the Truss, right-click on it. Click the "No pipes" button. If you change your mind, right-click again.

Note:

(1) Trusses without pipes will not automatically feed fuel. You can still manually transfer fuel.

(2) Trusses can be configured only in the VAB, not on the Launchpad nor in-flight.

I have provided the plugin source code to SpeedyB.

I want to say again that SpeedyB's system of modeling, i.e., UV mapping, has made my mod here easier. He did all the texturing and UV-mapping perfectly.

Edited by Apollo13

Configurable Trusses

In post #52, a request for trusses without pipes was made. There was further discussion about whether that could be configurable in the VAB. The answer is Yes, it can be.

This is a direct replacement for the Hex Truss Long.

Configurable Hex Truss Long

http://i.imgur.com/3aK2Qct.png

Installation: place the directory under the GameData directory

Usage: In the VAB, after adding the Truss, right-click on it. Click the "No pipes" button. If you change your mind, right-click again.

Note:

(1) Trusses without pipes will not automatically feed fuel. You can still manually transfer fuel.

(2) Trusses can be configured only in the VAB, not on the Launchpad nor in-flight.

I have provided the plugin source code to SpeedyB.

I want to say again that SpeedyB's system of modeling, i.e., UV mapping, has made my mod here easier. He did all the texturing and UV-mapping perfectly.

Unfortunately, to comply with Squad's rules, you must make the source code publicly available for any downloadable files. I also recommend (and is also required by the rules) that you choose a license.

Please check the forum rules. Specifically rules 1 and 2 in this case.

Unfortunately, to comply with Squad's rules, you must make the source code publicly available for any downloadable files. I also recommend (and is also required by the rules) that you choose a license.

Please check the forum rules. Specifically rules 1 and 2 in this case.

I have checked the forum rules and am in compliance.

As I've mentioned several times for my other mods to SpeedyB's mod, the license is the same as his Hex Truss System. I am not releasing this as a separate mod. Concerning source code, I've seen many, many mods where source code is not available.

Edited by Apollo13

Solar Panels for the Hex Truss System (3 Sizes)

qzSPaSJ.jpgRm59hX0.jpgMQ3ebOL.jpg

Retrieve the archive file here

No plugins are required. They use the Squad stock Solar Panels module.

LICENSE: Same license as SpeedyB's Hex Truss System

Distribution: SpeedyB has my permission to distribute these solar panel models with his Hex Truss System.

If you have questions or suggestions, PM me.

Edited by Apollo13

Next time I have a day off (Thanks Giving probly) I'll try for a small update.

Those configurable trusses are very cool Apollo13! How does the plugin work? Does it just hide the pipes or does it actually stop that mesh part from rendering?

I think the new B9 is using firespitter to actually hide the mesh part and improve performance.

The plugin prevents rendering, which speeds-up performance. In my PM to you, I explain how the plugin can be applied to all the Hex Trusses. We don't need anything as complicated as firespitter to remove the pipes.

pipesVisible = !pipesVisible;
compPipes.renderer.enabled = pipesVisible;
Events["ChangePipes"].guiName = (pipesVisible ? "No pipes" : "Add pipes");

Edited by Apollo13

As you know, Kerbals have a hard time with higher math. They have hard time counting past five. So, the standard six-sided Hub has always confused them. Well, be confused no more. Introducing the Hex Truss five-sided Hub. Just like the standard Hex Truss Hub, but with one less connection point. Give your space stations a unique look as well. And, of course, pipes are optional.

Here, it's shown with the standard six-sided Hex Truss Hub for comparison. Attached are three Long Trusses. On one of those Long Trusses, pipes have been removed.

5TF24qN.jpg

Go here for the parts archive:

New Hex Truss parts

Included parts:

1. Long Truss

2. Five-Sided Hub for Hex Truss System

Installation: Install under the GameData directory.

Usage: While in the VAB, right-click a part to remove the pipes. Right-click again to restore the pipes.

License: same as SpeedyB's Hex Truss System.

SpeedyB has my permission to include this in all Hex truss distributions.

In post #46/47, we discussed the five-sided hub. This is the result of that discussion. If you have questions, PM Apollo13 on the forum

Edited by Apollo13

Apollo13,

Why don't you start your own mod? You can call it "Hex Pluss: An Addon Pack for Hex Truss". That way, instead of releasing all your additions here, where they are scattered all over the forum, there will be a single place to download your additions that players could easily track via version numbers and so on. I think creating your own mod and thread would be more organized and advantageous for you, the people who download the mod, and for SpeedyB.

Edited by noonespecial
bad grammar

noonespecial, I appreciate the thought. However, SpeedyB and I are working together to update the Hex Truss System. He's creating new parts while I work elsewhere such as the solar panels et al.

Results may be available Soonâ„¢

Edited by Apollo13

noonespecial, I appreciate the thought. However, SpeedyB and I are working together to update the Hex Truss System. He's creating new parts while I work elsewhere such as the solar panels et al.

Results may be available Soonâ„¢

Of course you are working together. Just as SpeedyB and I worked along side each other to bring Senmi's THSS mod back from the dead. Just as SpeedyB contributed to the Karbonite. Just as a dozen modders are contributing to ChakaMonkey. Nearly every big and successful mod in KSP has been either a collaborative effort or been continue by someone who wasn't the original author. I wasn't suggesting that you break of collaboration and works alone on your own mod.

My point was organization and version control. The vast majority of the people who download mods don't go diving through every page on the forum. If they go the forum at all, they usually only scan the OP for the download link. Which means, most of the over 5,000 people who have downloaded this Mod are completely unaware of the additions you have made. As you are unable to edit SpeedyB's OP in this thread, the best alternative would be to create a new thread and a new download that users can easily track either by date or version number. Or, instead of posting your models, each with separate download links, scattered all over the forum, you can email the files to SpeedyB and wait for him to roll them into the next official update.

I'm hopeing to get a new version up near Thanks Giving. Basically the way things will work is apollo13 will send me all the parts and I'll go over the models and polish them up a bit and release the whole thing. The solar panels will be changed up a bit. I just came up with a cool idea for the solar truss. There will be a battery truss with nodes for the solar panels and a special truss with huge revolving solar panels on it.

rPxmvOy.jpg

I'm hopeing to get a new version up near Thanks Giving. Basically the way things will work is apollo13 will send me all the parts and I'll go over the models and polish them up a bit and release the whole thing. The solar panels will be changed up a bit. I just came up with a cool idea for the solar truss. There will be a battery truss with nodes for the solar panels and a special truss with huge revolving solar panels on it.

http://i.imgur.com/rPxmvOy.jpg

That is a pretty cool concept. If you need help figuring out the transforms for it, take a look at the old KOSMOS pack. They had a large solar panel with two rotating axis as well.

I can't get KOSMOS due to there being no working download link on the thread. I have no idea how to get solar panels to rotate on two axes. My original plan was for them to only rotate around the truss but if I can get them to rotate on their axles as well I will.

I can't get KOSMOS due to there being no working download link on the thread. I have no idea how to get solar panels to rotate on two axes. My original plan was for them to only rotate around the truss but if I can get them to rotate on their axles as well I will.

From what I remember, in KOSMOS, they actually treated it like two solar panels with two "deploy" buttons. One that extended the panels and allowed them to rotate, then a second that activated and rotated the base. So it should be two pivot transforms linked to two different modules in the part.cfg. Let me check some of my older back ups, I might have a copy of KOSMOS laying around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.