[1.1.x] Speedy's Hex Truss System

SpeedyB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't had time to work on this for the last few months. I need to finish the parts for Station Science first.

Hopefully I'll have time once school starts. (I thankfully don't have to work a job and do school at the same time this semester so I might have some time)

Haven't had time to work on this for the last few months. I need to finish the parts for Station Science first.

Hopefully I'll have time once school starts. (I thankfully don't have to work a job and do school at the same time this semester so I might have some time)

Yay! I love these parts.

• 1 month later...

I'm really enjoying these. Do you have a github up for part adjustments? Specifically the amounts held by the water/waste water truss and the LF/Ox truss

Suggested volume changes based on the tank sizes:

HexTrussLongWater

max WasteWater: ~600

max Water: ~600

HexTrussLongTank

max Oxidizer: ~800

max LiquidFuel: ~400

These are based on guesses on volumes when comparing the tanks to squad tanks. The truss with oxidizer and liquid fuel is not a great match for those fuels though. Most squad engines use Ox:LF at a ratio of something like 1.2, so it should probably be 800 oxidizer and 666 liquid fuel.

Edited by seanth

• 1 month later...
[quote name='renejant']This mod needs an update for 1.0.5
It seems the mod aint showing up in the parts menu...[/QUOTE]
At my side it works fine in 1.0.5.
Of course, I've updated it for 1.0.4:
- converted textures to dds with Lilleman's DDS converter;
- in all cfg files, in "node_stack_bottom" line, replaced fifth parameter with its negative value: "-1" instead of "1".

The same with its lesser cousin - Kommit Octotruss.

[quote name='kerbiloid']At my side it works fine in 1.0.5.
Of course, I've updated it for 1.0.4:
- converted textures to dds with Lilleman's DDS converter;
- in all cfg files, in "node_stack_bottom" line, replaced fifth parameter with its negative value: "-1" instead of "1".

The same with its lesser cousin - Kommit Octotruss.[/QUOTE]

I see what i did wrong, i installed it the wrong way.
i just installed it as "Gamedata/Hextruss" instead of "Gamadata/SPD/...." Thats fixed now! :)

And i use the Active Texture Reduction mod for compressing all those textures...

Could you explain to me why i should change those parameters in the config files? Didnt had those problems with it before while i played it in 0.90...
(havent played awhile, just picked the game up this week)

[quote name='renejant']Could you explain to me why i should change those parameters in the config files? Didnt had those problems with it before while i played it in 0.90...[/QUOTE]
Since 1.0.4 the node orientation is taken into account more strictly.
So in almost any pre-1.0.4 part: "node_stack_top" 5th parameter should be positive (usually 1.0), in "node_stack_bottom" - negative (usually -1.0).
(Unless that is a part with a somewhat tricky geometry.)
Without this the attaching node orientation is inverted or so, and the part can not be attached in a correct manner.

[quote name='kerbiloid']Since 1.0.4 the node orientation is taken into account more strictly.
So in almost any pre-1.0.4 part: "node_stack_top" 5th parameter should be positive (usually 1.0), in "node_stack_bottom" - negative (usually -1.0).
(Unless that is a part with a somewhat tricky geometry.)
Without this the attaching node orientation is inverted or so, and the part can not be attached in a correct manner.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the info, ill change the numbers accordingly..! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going to try to get a new version of this out around the time (or a little after) the new version of KSP comes out.

I'm planning on doing a slight upgrade of the models and textures to be more in line with the style of the new parts.

I was also thinking of the size of the parts.  The original Hex Truss mod had trusses that where in between the small and large sizes.  Should I make my parts that size or should I keep them the same size?  I think that they may look better if they are a bit smaller than the usual station parts.

What do you guys think?

I think your current size is fine, although I wouldn't mind a set of smaller trusses as well, one size down, for small probes and such.

What I'd really like to see though is some pieces that have pressurized sections for Kerbals to move through, using Connected Living Spaces.  Even just a hub that lets you pass through the 'round' sections.

8 hours ago, SpeedyB said:

I'm going to try to get a new version of this out around the time (or a little after) the new version of KSP comes out.

I'm planning on doing a slight upgrade of the models and textures to be more in line with the style of the new parts.

I was also thinking of the size of the parts.  The original Hex Truss mod had trusses that where in between the small and large sizes.  Should I make my parts that size or should I keep them the same size?  I think that they may look better if they are a bit smaller than the usual station parts.

What do you guys think?

I think you should resist the urge to change them very much. Maybe some texture work, but otherwise, don't play around with them too much.

That's what I think.

OK.  Size stays the same! I will make a longer one as well.

Another reason that I'm remodeling and retexturing the parts is so that I can make better use of textures.  The more I can re-use textures the less I have to texture and that will save time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, SpeedyB said:

I'm still thinking about how I want to change the trusses.  I can either keep the overall style or go with something slightly different like the trusses in HabTech.

I might go with something between the two.

Any thoughts?

If you mean the panels, a bit more like the HabTech ones would be welcome instead of the full white.

But for the open trusses, the framework itself, I rather like yours better. The HabTech ones do look nice, but they seem a bit too.. too solid. Too much mass for their function. I rather prefer the minimal and open look of yours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.