RLA Stockalike Redux

Whirligig Girl

Much needed update, but why removing the small escape tower? It was so cute... ;.; And different than the (now) stock one.

Here are the rules that ClairaLyrae Established with her Stockalike pack.

Introduction

After having a lot of fun making a 2.5m NERVA engine, and learning the ropes of KSP part creation, I was looking to do some more! I love the look and feel of the stock parts (Kudos, NovaSilisko), but there were always some parts I wish were included in the game. Most mods out there don't really match the original style of KSP that well, or, for some missing parts, don't even exist. So, the idea for this pack came about. I decided I would stick to some rules:

·Must be KSP styled - if it doesn't look like it was there to begin with, it's not good enough!

·Stats and gameplay must fit smoothly with the stock feel.

·Must be unique in some way, and fill in a niche that a stock part doesn't.

·Doesn't matter if it's basically a resize - it still gets a new model!

Look at rule 3. The default Launch Escape System fills the niche that the previous Escape Tower did. THerefore the Escape Tower part is not needed. You can still download it from the original thread.

Look at rule 3. The default Launch Escape System fills the niche that the previous Escape Tower did. THerefore the Escape Tower part is not needed. You can still download it from the original thread.

It could be rescaled to act as an escape system for small pods that taper to 0.625m (Mk1 pod for example)

Shouldn't you leave that to the mod's creator to decide?

The mod creator, ClairaLyrae, no longer maintains it. Its current maintainer is stupid_chris, but his maintenance is limited to fixing bugs and removing parts that get added to stock (many of the updates he's done have, in fact, been removing stock'd parts).

That said, pretty sure he's intentionally *not* removed the KSPX tower: while most removed parts were put into stock largely as-is (Claira now works for Squad, so they can simply use her exact parts), some had significant changes to their appearance (e.g. cupola, which went from thick 3 kerbal to thin 1 kerbal). The stock escape tower has both performance and visual differences from the KSPX one, so I think stupid_chris decided to keep the KSPX one in for people who prefer it.

If you don't like something, change it. I haven't replaced or removed any of the original download links. There's a link to RLA Stockalike on Curse and KSPX can be downloaded from it's thread. I wanted to update these for 0.24 and I figured I might as well share them.

It could be rescaled to act as an escape system for small pods that taper to 0.625m (Mk1 pod for example)

Homegrown Rocket Parts is another Stockalike mod that has a great 0.625 meter LES.

ClairaLyrae is not in the KSP scene anymore. But seriously, the LES does the EXACT SAME THING. If you really want the original Escape Tower part, go to the official thread and download it!

Helpful, thanks. :) What about RLA Electrical though?

I don't use RLA electrical. Sorry. But do keep in mind that all that would be doing is redefining part costs. very simple to do.

If I recall correctly, RLA was released under a permissive license and so you should be fine there, but KSPX was not, so people may complain. You could probably get away with it by using ModuleManager instead -- people could download the "official" release and then apply your MM patches.

Don't want to be mean, but it looks like you're violating KSPX license.

As stated in KSPX OP:

Unless granted direct permission by ClairaLyrae (the original author of this mod) redistribution of this mod or parts contained in it is not allowed; this includes creating download mirrors. By downloading this mod you agree to this license.

StupidChris, as a person who got the said permission, can modify it; you, on the other hand, can't (Although I think you can send your changes to StupidChris, he might use them if he likes them)

RLA, on the other hand, is completely OK, as stated in RLA OP:

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. So feel free to use and redistribute what I create as long as you mention that your work is based upon mine.

Question: do the prices for the parts in-game use the stat that already existed in the part CFG before?

The cost value has been there a long time so I'm wondering if the new update uses those (even if they've been rebalanced).

You could use the default costs from the part.cfg, but it won't be at all balanced. Also, You wouldn't get my RGUXL and SASXL.

EDIT: I removed KSPX, as I'm assuming StupidChris will be releasing a proper price pack soon. I will release the cfg for the Extra Large Inline Probe.

Edited by GregroxMun

There seems to be a bug with the spinnaker rocket, it is showing a charge of NaN if you right click it in the VAB. This is meaning I can't use it in career mode as as soon as you right click it, it makes the rocket cost NaN.

There seems to be a bug with the spinnaker rocket, it is showing a charge of NaN if you right click it in the VAB. This is meaning I can't use it in career mode as as soon as you right click it, it makes the rocket cost NaN.

The config needs 2 lines added in the ModAlternator

isTweakable = false

hideFlow = true

That should do it, it's an older bug from the introduction of tweakables.

What about RLA Electrical though?

I have updated it...... a lot..... i don't think my customized version remotely resembles the original gameplay (Resistorjets? Gone. I repurposed the models to play the role of a hybrid eletric/rocket thruster tech instead). So why'd i even bother? Well, a few reasons:

- It includes engine sets for three electrical technologies

- Each set has a small, radial and medium engine

- All of those visually follow a consistent design

- They look nice and have sounds, yet aren't bloated with high polycounts

In short, even if you completely ignore gamemechanics, it just generally is a really well designed set of engines.

The problem of course is, that i'm taking someone elses models and sounds, and then use them for my own idea of eletric engines. That's fine for personal use - but doesn't exactly make it good for public distribution. Then again, i could simply distribute the configfiles alone, without the art. But again, as i said: This doesn't play like original RLA eletric anymore at all - its something else.

The config needs 2 lines added in the ModAlternator

isTweakable = false

hideFlow = true

That should do it, it's an older bug from the introduction of tweakables.

This should go into ElectricCharge resource, not in alternator.

The problem of course is, that i'm taking someone elses models and sounds, and then use them for my own idea of eletric engines. That's fine for personal use - but doesn't exactly make it good for public distribution. Then again, i could simply distribute the configfiles alone, without the art. But again, as i said: This doesn't play like original RLA eletric anymore at all - its something else.

Yes you can distribute it. The original was released under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

The license explicitly allows you to modify and redistribute the work. See also the readme.txt from the original package, where this is even explicitly explained. All you have to do is credit the original author and use the same license that he did (or a license that doesn't prohibit anything the original license allowed).

Things like this are exactly the reason licenses like the CC-AS are used. To make sure others can continue or build upon the work. So if you want to release this, be it a separate thing or a spiritual continuation of the original RLA Electrical, you can do so.

My personal thoughts on balance and/or bugfixing:

• The radial jet engine and Spinnaker engine both need the "isTweakable = false" and "hideFlow = true" lines added to their ElectricCharge resource to fix the NaN bug (mentioned earlier in this thread).
  • As is, the Linear Aerospike is pretty much strictly worse than the stock LV-T30. It has slightly less thrust, weighs more, has no alternator or bottom node, is substantially more expensive, and above 3km altitude it has worse ISP. In my opinion a reasonable adjustment would be to increase its thrust, to perhaps 300 kN. This gives it a niche as a high-thrust first stage engine with reasonable ISP. Looking at StupidChris' TWR/ISP balance charts, it seems to be well in line with other stock engines at that level of thrust and ISP.
  • The monopropellant engines might need to be rebalanced as well. They currently have the same ISP (100-260) as ordinary RCS systems, but the new stock O-10 monopropellant engine has a better ISP of 220-290, and a substantially higher TWR.

Quick and dirty suggestion (same ISP as O-10, identical TWR across all engines, chosen for simple values of thrust and mass & similar TWR to the O-10):

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Engine[/TD]

[TD]Mass (t)[/TD]

[TD]Thrust (kN)[/TD]

[TD]ISP (s)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MPR-45* (1.25m stack)[/TD]

[TD]0.25[/TD]

[TD]50[/TD]

[TD]220-290[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MPR-5 (0.625m stack)[/TD]

[TD]0.025[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]220-290[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MPR-5R (0.625m radial)[/TD]

[TD]0.025[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]220-290[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MPR-1 (0.3125m stack)[/TD]

[TD]0.005[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]220-290[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

(*may wish to rename to MPR-50 to maintain naming consistency)

In typo news, "propellant" is also spelled as "propellent" throughout the names and descriptions.

The rest of the pack looks good to me.

Edited by ArcFurnace

I love the little tanks but one thing I can't seem to find anywhere is a conical 1.25 to 0.625 adapter tank. Novapunch and KW do all the other sizes and I've gotten used to using conical tanks between different sized stages. Any tips on where to find one? Or a modeler fancy knocking one out?

I love the little tanks but one thing I can't seem to find anywhere is a conical 1.25 to 0.625 adapter tank. Novapunch and KW do all the other sizes and I've gotten used to using conical tanks between different sized stages. Any tips on where to find one? Or a modeler fancy knocking one out?

Here's something you might like: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69539

Considering RLA Stockalike's last update predates even .23, that means it didn't get any of the node changes in .23.5. Wouldn't that mean that it would be necessary to redo all the nodes to have the parts fully conform to the new standard?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.