[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

I think it's your skills ;)

Thanks for the vid. What happened around 50 sec into it is what happens to me when I get up around the 10 m/s mark. I'll check to see if I have some kind of weird mod conflict or something.

Thank you for the video though, never thought to remove a wheel! I'd been flipping back over the hard way.

Anyway I'm going to start with the other wheel packs, I bet of of them did something to all wheels or something silly like that.

Thanks for the vid. What happened around 50 sec into it is what happens to me when I get up around the 10 m/s mark. I'll check to see if I have some kind of weird mod conflict or something.

Thank you for the video though, never thought to remove a wheel! I'd been flipping back over the hard way.

Anyway I'm going to start with the other wheel packs, I bet of of them did something to all wheels or something silly like that.

It is largely the tricky nature of rovers. the only truly stable rovers I have on the mun start at around 50t. one thing that can sometimes help is to turn off steering on the rear wheels.

The method I've used is:

1. Anchor a decoupler to the ceiling of the pod (upside-down, so that it stays on the ceiling when triggered).

2. Attach the roll cage to the decoupler.

3. Build the rover from there (the chassis bone connects to the cage bone...).

4. For extra coolness, set the decoupler to fire at the same time as the doors are ejected.

This also works for mounting the rover fully-built in other ways, like to the side of a lander.

How do you utilize the Rover Delivery System part? I can't seem to get anything but the 2 chassis sections in there without failing due to clipping?

In addition to the above :

Attach the delivery frame, your decoupler as stated and the roof rack, the next part I choose is the Front part (with head lights) there is an attachment node that comes with that front piece that's read and up from the headlights. That node attaches to a node that's on the roof rack. From there you grab the front chasis part and attach to the front part with headlights, then the rear chasis, then the rear section witht he RTGin it and fenders. Then wheels seats, cam , sci, etc.i

AH I see now, thanks. Got it figured out and managed to get the rover and deployment system as an in-line sub-assembly for future use.

W6m3lHG.jpg

Encountered a big of a bug that wasn't easily reproducible. Sometimes when reentering the control seat after using the KAS storage boxes, they would enlarge (scale change) about twice the size.

AH I see now, thanks. Got it figured out and managed to get the rover and deployment system as an in-line sub-assembly for future use.

http://i.imgur.com/W6m3lHG.jpg

Encountered a big of a bug that wasn't easily reproducible. Sometimes when reentering the control seat after using the KAS storage boxes, they would enlarge (scale change) about twice the size.

hm, likely a KAS bug with rescaling

Quick question about the Packrat, is there a way to get Kerbals to spawn on the seats as opposed to eva-ing them from a pod first so I can just build a rover and drive it straight from the KSC?

Not with the built in seat, no, as it's just a command seat.

Possible KAS bug with the packet wheels. No error was thrown in the debug menu so I'm not sure.

Can someone else try this:

Use an MKS base and load it with the packratwheels, launch it.

Get a kerbal and open the container and then try to take a wheel.

For me after I click the wheel spawns out of position 1/2 in the ground and my kerbal begins to magically float into the air.

What's really weird is that this was all working just fine for me, then I got a crash (turned out to be Science Alert and KAS not getting along). But from that point forward in my save this combo doesn't work.

Now for the really oddball stuff. The stock mini rover wheel works perfectly, as do any other parts I put into the container or pull out. It's just the packrat wheels for me.

If anyone else reproduces this or knows what's going on please let me know cause I'm pulling out my hair.

Side note. I was able to move my MKS a modules into place on 4 of the mini rover wheels :). (On Minmus)

I've tried to see if this has been reported so far, but I haven't seen anything. No matter what I do when assembling the Packrat, the controls are always reversed; both forward/back, and left/right. I know I can invert steering on the wheels, but there is no option for reversing the motors. This happens when I try to assemble in SPH, VAB (using multiple starting parts), and in EVA with KAS. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to see if I can reverse the axes on the wheels in the configs? The only mod I can think that may affect this is I have Editor Extensions installed.

your mod enabled my new favorite thing ever...

Question: When I get to about 6000m of elevation over Duna, I run out of intake air... this means I cant reach the highest points on Duna. Is this a matter of Atmosphere and or intakes? Is there any way to compensate for the thin atmosphere? I'd like to raise my operational ceiling just a bit with the electric ducted fans.

I think I found an issue with the PackRat rover mini-wheel and its interaction with KAS universal storage. I've found that I can unpack the rover once and assemble it without problems, but after it is packed away and unpacked again, I cannot successfully remove the wheels from the KAS universal storage container. I'm not sure if it is a bug with KAS or PackRat or an interaction issue between the two, but I'm able to unpack all the other parts without issue. Checking my logs, I see the following entry:

[LOG 12:39:18.950] [iR GUI] vessel kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman)

[LOG 12:39:18.951] [iR GUI] 0 groups

[LOG 12:39:23.197] [KAS] GrabPending - Preparing To Grab part :PackRat.MiniWheel

[EXC 12:39:23.305] NullReferenceException

UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject ()

KAS.KAS_Shared.FinishDelayedCreation (.Part part, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 re_enable)

KAS.KAS_Shared+<WaitAndUnpack>d__0.MoveNext ()

I'm currently using PackRat 0.2.5.0. Any ideas on what's going on?

It's a case of atmospheric density more than likely. An option is to add more ducted fans and thrust limit them.

This is sorta interesting to me because I wonder how this was affected by installing neophyte's atmo mod (NEAR Mod), if at all. In reality I think you could compensate with additional pitch on the propeller blades which might also change the throttle curves and watt consumption. Not sure if would be a widely used feature but prop pitch controls would be amazing.

I actually tried mounting your EDF's on the Infernal Robotics "Rotatron" servo's as well. Goal was to rotate the EDF gimbals instead of pitching the ship nose down/up for forward and reverse flight. I got a little frustrated with aesthetics and rotation settings and ended up simplifying the ship a little, removing the servos. sadly, limiting the rotation movements was not easy

Any chance you're planning to add tilt/rotation to the fans?

also, glad to see you enjoyed my reddit this morning :D

Edited by vectorbased

Im experiencing an issue with the AES Structural Outrigger. As seen in the following screenshots.

It connects from the hover node.

AES2_zpsfdfc2932.png

but it doesnt connect from the two flat surfaces

AES_zps40cd0223.png

Anyone have any suggestions? Was this by design? If so, then I cant wrap my head around how I would use it in construction :/

@GrimT - that one is meant to attach initially by the long arm :) It's for having an adjacent stack of 0.625m parts.

Oh... and!

0.1.0 is up!

KSP 0.90 Compatibility

CCT Integration

- AES/HERP are under Precision Engineering

- PackRat remains in Field Science

- Safety Light is in Enhanced Survivability

- Mini-ducted fan is in Subsonic Flight

0.1.0 is up!

KSP 0.90 Compatibility

CCT Integration

- AES/HERP are under Precision Engineering

- PackRat remains in Field Science

- Safety Light is in Enhanced Survivability

- Mini-ducted fan is in Subsonic Flight

Woo! Thank you! It's like early Christmas between all your mods and FAR being updated today. My new Kerbal Career can start now!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.