[0.24] StarSystems v0.2

OvenProofMars

So it doesn't take that much delta-v to go to another star:

htH2ok9.png

And the SOI of Kerbol ends just beyond the orbit of Eeloo, so the stars are actually not that far away from each other:

r797hfV.png

The black hole is really interesting though, you get a lot of phantom forces when you get really close to it, almost like the real gravitational relativistic effects you would feel. If you EVA out of your capsule, you'll feel tidal forces and will begin to drift away from your ship.

The orbit of the stars currently are about the same altitude as the orbit of Pluto in the solar system. I think I'll try multiplying the distances by 10 or something to make it slightly more realistic.

I have discovered that the kraken is not dead. Through hyperedit shenanigans, I've found that it now resides inside the black hole!

xD

As Meta mentioned, lots of phantom forces, it ripped my ship apart, but thats because I was REALLY close to it. The orbital velocity was INSANE.

I just downloaded this, and it is amazing. Interstellar mod is finally interstellar. I just want to report a few bugs so that you can work them out:

1) At least one mod is incompatible with this: RasterPropMonitor

51119E6CB81C8C425D2B1396425B5D64C15CC393

2) Orbits close to the black hole are extremely unstable. They start to lose stability at around 3000000 meters.

3) I hyperedited a probe to about this distance. There were some camera angles where the probe would be illuminated like it was close to a sun.

4) The aforementioned probe was immediately shot out by the black hole at insane speeds. It was easily going 100c, far faster than the fastest speed on the Alcubierre Drive.

5) The probe's orbital velocity dropped to 0m/s and was eaten by the Kraken at around 20,000 Tm, which turned the whole screen black. I had to restart the game because the graphics were heavily messed up.

6) Asteroids spawn around the black hole instead of around Kerbol.

7) In KSC view, the time of day very rapidly changed from day to night, even though I didn't have time warp on and it was still daytime when I launched my ship. I think the game treated the black hole like the sun, and it was below the horizon.

8) When launching a ship, sometimes Kerbol has a blue color like Dolas, even in map mode. Reloading seemed to fix that.

Before:

C8BF053FF66174263AC4E5EA74E032D8E778F6A3

E437C5FFFDB5E449755EC849C0D27FD5F52D0E5F

After:

9F55A8CFA51658046F3CD934CACEA28EB759AC38

9) (Maybe a bug) With Distant Object Enhancement, when you are in interstellar space and look at Kerbol, the sky still dims as if Kerbol was bright from that perspective. This doesn't happen with the other stars. You should probably look into that.

These aren't bugs, but they are suggestions:

1) Brighten the ambient lighting. Real interstellar space isn't completely devoid of light. To the human eye, there is enough light to illuminate the hand as long as you are in a galaxy. I suggest brightening it enough so that you can at least dimly see your ship.

2) The black hole is really hard to see unless you are at a glitch-inducing distance. Maybe make it more visible by giving it a dust disk...?

3) The light from Corbos and Dolas is white. Maybe look into a way of changing the hues.

Edited by FluffySilverUnicorn

-- I have discovered that the kraken is not dead. --

It's never been dead. It has been sleeping, deep within its darkened lair, waiting for the Time itself to come to an end. Those foolish enough to disturb its slumber shall taste the fury of the Omnipotent Squid.

...ehm, where was I? Oh yea, don't try to physical time-warp during parachute opening - you might accidentally discover new possibilities for interstellar travels.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Sucessfully was able to use CustomAsteroids to spawn around Corbo and Dolas. Close enough to planets for me!

Basic Asteroids.cfg

// Permanent fixtures in Custom Asteroids

MODULEMANAGER[LOCAL] {}
AsteroidSets
{
ASTEROIDGROUP
{
name = Dolas Test.
centralBody = Dolas
spawnRate = 10.0
orbitSize
{
type = SemimajorAxis
// 0.5 AU
min = 6799920128
// 4 AU
max = 52859363534
}
eccentricity
{
avg = 0.5
}
inclination
{
avg = 7.5
}
}
ASTEROIDGROUP
{
name = Corbo Test.
centralBody = Corbo
spawnRate = 10.0
orbitSize
{
type = SemimajorAxis
// 0.5 AU
min = 6799920128
// 4 AU
max = 52859363534
}
eccentricity
{
avg = 0.5
}
inclination
{
avg = 7.5
}
}
}

Wow, this looks amazing! I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out first, but i can't wait to try it out! On a side note, has anyone tried to see what travel times would be with stock parts?

Well, the distance between Kerbol and Corbo (farthest apart) is about 0.20 lightyears. It will take FOREVER with stock parts. Plus, it is near impossible to get a ship with reasonable dV and speed to get there fast enough.

This is so amazing my brain hurts. Perhaps that's exaggerating, but really, it's very impressive.

This might not be entirely related to this, so apologies if it's not, but does anyone know of a half-decent warp drive mod? I'd use interstellar, but it would take forever to get to the warp drive and I don't intend on using any of the other parts. So a mod with just a warp drive in it would be cool. Anyone know of one?

If there isn't... well I guess Jeb will be spending lots of time away from home :P

Also, will this work with a previous savegame? Haven't downloaded this yet, but equally I'm really attach to my save.

Edited by Iforgotthis

This is so amazing my brain hurts. Perhaps that's exaggerating, but really, it's very impressive.

This might not be entirely related to this, so apologies if it's not, but does anyone know of a half-decent warp drive mod? I'd use interstellar, but it would take forever to get to the warp drive and I don't intend on using any of the other parts. So a mod with just a warp drive in it would be cool. Anyone know of one?

If there isn't... well I guess Jeb will be spending lots of time away from home :P

Also, will this work with a previous savegame? Haven't downloaded this yet, but equally I'm really attach to my save.

Yes. If you have many ships, say good a bye to some of them.

I just downloaded this, and it is amazing. Interstellar mod is finally interstellar. I just want to report a few bugs so that you can work them out:

1) At least one mod is incompatible with this: RasterPropMonitor

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/53233077709199407/51119E6CB81C8C425D2B1396425B5D64C15CC393/

2) Orbits close to the black hole are extremely unstable. They start to lose stability at around 3000000 meters.

3) I hyperedited a probe to about this distance. There were some camera angles where the probe would be illuminated like it was close to a sun.

4) The aforementioned probe was immediately shot out by the black hole at insane speeds. It was easily going 100c, far faster than the fastest speed on the Alcubierre Drive.

5) The probe's orbital velocity dropped to 0m/s and was eaten by the Kraken at around 20,000 Tm, which turned the whole screen black. I had to restart the game because the graphics were heavily messed up.

6) Asteroids spawn around the black hole instead of around Kerbol.

7) In KSC view, the time of day very rapidly changed from day to night, even though I didn't have time warp on and it was still daytime when I launched my ship. I think the game treated the black hole like the sun, and it was below the horizon.

8) When launching a ship, sometimes Kerbol has a blue color like Dolas, even in map mode. Reloading seemed to fix that.

Before:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/53233077709195458/C8BF053FF66174263AC4E5EA74E032D8E778F6A3/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/53233077709197052/E437C5FFFDB5E449755EC849C0D27FD5F52D0E5F/

After:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/53233077709198334/9F55A8CFA51658046F3CD934CACEA28EB759AC38/

9) (Maybe a bug) With Distant Object Enhancement, when you are in interstellar space and look at Kerbol, the sky still dims as if Kerbol was bright from that perspective. This doesn't happen with the other stars. You should probably look into that.

These aren't bugs, but they are suggestions:

1) Brighten the ambient lighting. Real interstellar space isn't completely devoid of light. To the human eye, there is enough light to illuminate the hand as long as you are in a galaxy. I suggest brightening it enough so that you can at least dimly see your ship.

2) The black hole is really hard to see unless you are at a glitch-inducing distance. Maybe make it more visible by giving it a dust disk...?

3) The light from Corbos and Dolas is white. Maybe look into a way of changing the hues.

Thanks for testing :D

for some points I have some immediate anwsers:

2) I'm amazed you even got that close. The black Hole is currently 7700 solar masses and is very small in size. In 0.23 it destroyed my vessels once I got so close, i'll test it in 0.24.

6) yes, I removed a dirty fix since it caused problems. I'll find a better way to fix it.

7) I've noticed it quickly changing form day to night or vice versa, but on my end it just happens once, which is probably because I change what is considered as the sun when you go to the space center. Does your game keep cycling day and night?

8) yes, I think I might have forgetten to add a line of code to change it's flare color when you go back to the space center.

I'll look into the rest of your points.

I wouldn't use this with your existing savegames currenlty. A couple of fixes were giving some problems so I removed them. Now the game eats any ship in close orbit around a planet.

Yes. If you have many ships, say good a bye to some of them.

I'd say most of them since I removed the vessel fix which was giving problems. In 0.23.5 I managed to solve this bug by having the game load a vessel once you go to the space center for the first time (and immideately loading the space center after the vessel had been loaded). Unfortunately in 0.24 the standard functions to load a vessel ,or even a scene for that matter, seem to be completely broken.

i expect this is a huge thing to ask, but would it be possible to give the black hole a lensing effect?

It is on my to do list to create a nice gravitational lenzing shader. However since it's merely for looks it's low on my list for now (unless someone can supply me with a working shaderlab shader, as implementing it is not that hard).

Well, the distance between Kerbol and Corbo (farthest apart) is about 0.20 lightyears. It will take FOREVER with stock parts. Plus, it is near impossible to get a ship with reasonable dV and speed to get there fast enough.

That's not really true. The orbit of Corbo around the black hole is about the same size as the orbit of Pluto in the solar system, which is about 0.0005 light years. You can Hohmann transfer between Kerbol and another star for less than 3000 m/s of delta-v from low Kerbin orbit. It takes about 20-30 Kerbal years, or 7-10 Earth years.

The largest bottleneck is just travel time. A mod that changes the maximum warp rate is useful, like Better Time Warp, Time Control, or MaximumWarp.

That's not really true. The orbit of Corbo around the black hole is about the same size as the orbit of Pluto in the solar system, which is about 0.0005 light years. You can Hohmann transfer between Kerbol and another star for less than 3000 m/s of delta-v from low Kerbin orbit. It takes about 20-30 Kerbal years, or 7-10 Earth years.

The largest bottleneck is just travel time. A mod that changes the maximum warp rate is useful, like Better Time Warp, Time Control, or MaximumWarp.

i'm not a fan of using timewarp excessively, so i have to wonder how often a transfer window between two stars comes around. it may be the case that anyone using life support mods will need to terminate any other missions before warping to the transfer window.

Edited by DaveStrider

i'm not a fan of using timewarp excessively, so i have to wonder how often a transfer window between two stars comes around. it may be the case that anyone using life support mods will need to terminate any other missions before warping to the transfer window.

I would say the transfer windows happen about every 100 Kerbal years or so. But they're very wide, and you can always transfer outside of the windows, just using more delta-v.

I'm not sure if the scale will remain the same on the final version of this mod, but the way it is now is pretty much the smallest possible distance between the stars. Kerbol's SOI ends barely beyond Eeloo's orbit, so if you made the entire system smaller Eeloo would fall outside Kerbol's SOI.

I would say the transfer windows happen about every 100 Kerbal years or so. But they're very wide, and you can always transfer outside of the windows, just using more delta-v.

I'm not sure if the scale will remain the same on the final version of this mod, but the way it is now is pretty much the smallest possible distance between the stars. Kerbol's SOI ends barely beyond Eeloo's orbit, so if you made the entire system smaller Eeloo would fall outside Kerbol's SOI.

The current scale is merely chosen as a balance between distance, time and SOIs for testing. Feel free to mess with the scale. The SOI of a star is calculated by the mass of the star, the mass of the black hole and the SMA.

The current scale is merely chosen as a balance between distance, time and SOIs for testing. Feel free to mess with the scale. The SOI of a star is calculated by the mass of the star, the mass of the black hole and the SMA.

What is the maximum distance from the center of the universe that works without kraken effects?

PS: https://github.com/OvenProofMars/StarSystems/pull/2

You can add me as a collaborator on github and I can handle the pull requests and page setup if you aren't comfortable with Github yet. This is Swater96 from (https://github.com/OvenProofMars/StarSystems/pull/1)