[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Thanks for the solutions!

Updated to scansat 7.0. All is well, rainbows, puppies and kittens for everyone.

Also found out that having Module Manager dlls of any version prior to 2.2.1 makes KSP winx64 *hate everyone*. Deeply and personally. Deleted older .dlls and everyone is happy again.

having older versions of module manager seems to really, REALLY hate Karbonite. Threw errors trying to switch to any vehicle with a Karbonite sensor attached, then bombed out. It make my tech tree look 'empty', no icons for anything, and it said I hadn't researched anything.

Due props on the mod. Now that I've actually got it working it's *terribly* cool. The growing variety of Karbonite engines ties in well with extra-Kerbin settlements; the ability to recover and use fuel resources directly lets you build a vastly superior SSTO interplanetary ship.

Lots of good stuff, thank you again.

Every indication points to something being installed that conflicted with a DLL, not a DLL issue (otherwise it would not work no matter where you moved it). Which makes sense given how KSP works. This is not a Unity issue, it's flat out a KSP and DLL conflict issue - I just don't know what that issue is.

Just to finish up for those interested in the oddity of the situation:

I deleted and reinstalled your mods. The station still crashed with the Karbonite Folder in the default location. Since I could access the station running in 32 bit with OpenGL, I did so. No crash.

I collapsed all inflatables. Turned off all generators. Shut down anything else that was running, scan sat, additional communication antennas, etc...

Reloaded the game with the problem 64bit Open GL client. The station was slow to load, but it loaded. So, I guess related to either the inflatables having been inflated or something that was running that I shut down. SO, add that to the weirdness.

Just to be done with the headaches, I used Hyperedit to "land" the station, recovered the crew and cash. I'll now build a new station with all mods up to date.

The station represented the most time and effort, but I'm glad to have salvaged my communications satellite network, contract progress and crew roster. All the satellites load and work with out issue, so I'm going to take the risk that the save itself is safe to build on.

The station predated the parts changes to MKS. I had edited the persistent to get it working in the aftermath. Maybe that contributed to the weirdness, who knows.

I'm probably one of your very very 64-bit OpenGL testers, so I'll let you know if any further weirdness occurs, but only if it isn't limited to a particular deprecated save game, but can be duplicated in a fresh save.

Testing in OpenGL 64 with a very limited mod set, MKS, Karbonite, their mod dependencies, Scansat, Mechjeb, Hyperedit and one or two more "core" mods yielded no problems with a station I slapped together with all the parts recommended in the OKS tutorial. I'll see how things go with my normal mod load out. (I'm running 65 mods total in the recently rebuilt GameData folder, all of them current versions and most specific to 24.2).

When the problem ended up being path related, I was hoping that might ring a bell with you as to something that changed recently that might play into that. I have no problem, though, just righting it up to some odd game save breaking confluence of mod updates. (The station was very over engineered and there were a lot of different mods represented in the construction of the station, so there was more opportunity for conflict).

Thanks for acknowledging my issue and thanks for the great mods. :)

Edited by Fiontar

Thanks for the solutions!

Updated to scansat 7.0. All is well, rainbows, puppies and kittens for everyone.

Also found out that having Module Manager dlls of any version prior to 2.2.1 makes KSP winx64 *hate everyone*. Deeply and personally. Deleted older .dlls and everyone is happy again.

having older versions of module manager seems to really, REALLY hate Karbonite. Threw errors trying to switch to any vehicle with a Karbonite sensor attached, then bombed out. It make my tech tree look 'empty', no icons for anything, and it said I hadn't researched anything.

Due props on the mod. Now that I've actually got it working it's *terribly* cool. The growing variety of Karbonite engines ties in well with extra-Kerbin settlements; the ability to recover and use fuel resources directly lets you build a vastly superior SSTO interplanetary ship.

Lots of good stuff, thank you again.

Awesome! Hearing folks enjoy the mod makes it all worth it :)

I updated to the latest version from the dev build without realizing it broke saves. Melbrett and Newwell Kerman are now MIA, and the mining Rig and hangar of Minmus base alpha are nowhere to be seen. A new base has started to be built at the location and all 4 trucks are still there.

I updated to the latest version from the dev build without realizing it broke saves. Melbrett and Newwell Kerman are now MIA, and the mining Rig and hangar of Minmus base alpha are nowhere to be seen. A new base has started to be built at the location and all 4 trucks are still there.

This is the risk of dev builds - even put in the notes that all of the part names changed as they were going from WIP to final form

I don't have Kerbal Interstellar, so I don't have MW. I heard that MW converts to standard electricity, but how?

in Karbonite 1MW = 1EC; just different name for KSP's standard electric charge unit.

in KSPI 1MJ = 1000EC; totally different beast. KSPI uses MW and GW to measure heat output. The heat is then used to drive electric generators that produce Mega-Joules.

Please don't do this ;) Bear in mind you were on a dev pre-release. ALL part names changes - by design. The names/etc. are now locked in for release.

Why not? It makes the crafts load just fine. Does it break the game/mod in some fashion?

Those counter-rotating turboprops are the sweetest parts I have ever seen. Been putting them on everything, even if they don't belong. ;) So I found one little problem: the flame-out spark effect sometimes separates from the correct location. Not sure if this is a bug in the part, KSP, or what. It generally happens after a spin has already become seriously fast.

KaTurbine_flameout.jpg

Otherwise, everything has been super cool so far.

By the way, the craft appearing here is Sky Miner. Simple little stack with docking clamps on the bottom that scoops up karbonite from LKO, for use as a refuelling station.

Sky%20Miner.jpg

I'm sure this has been covered before but if so, I apologize right away. Any intention of creating contracts based around this mod? :)

Absolutely... down the road :)

Why not? It makes the crafts load just fine. Does it break the game/mod in some fashion?

Yes. You will get weirdness as the other bits are updated, configs change, etc. and it will at some point cause an absolute headache when something does break.

Those counter-rotating turboprops are the sweetest parts I have ever seen. Been putting them on everything, even if they don't belong. ;) So I found one little problem: the flame-out spark effect sometimes separates from the correct location. Not sure if this is a bug in the part, KSP, or what. It generally happens after a spin has already become seriously fast.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78157466/forum%20posts/KaTurbine_flameout.jpg

Otherwise, everything has been super cool so far.

By the way, the craft appearing here is Sky Miner. Simple little stack with docking clamps on the bottom that scoops up karbonite from LKO, for use as a refuelling station.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78157466/forum%20posts/Sky%20Miner.jpg

That's a KSP artefact - same kind that gives us random puffs of clouds in front of our rockets

I want to see a 3d printing machine in this mod. Like EPL one but with nice textures and models. Mine some ore, smelt it, do a 3d print of a simple structure.

Edited by Meltafire

I want to see a 3d printing machine in this mod. Like EPL one but with nice textures and models. Mine some ore, smelt it, do a 3d print of a simple structure.

Karbonite is mostly about fuels, I presume. So, better leave ore & printing to EPL.

Karbonite is mostly about fuels, I presume. So, better leave ore & printing to EPL.

Good point. But EPL is based on Kethane (no Open Resource System and problems with licensing). Also Karbonite even at this point has almost all function to recreate 3d printing. So close...

KA-2500 Particle Collector has several resources for extraction:

- karbonite

- hydrogen

- nitrogen

- oxygen

The last 3 are just a common feature of ORS or are intended to be used in Karbonite mod somehow?

Speaking of engines, why not Karbonite-powered rocket engines? After all, both fuel and oxidizer can be recovered from it under some conditions. They might have their own special niche...

What about having it require an external source of electricity, kinda like Solar Electric Propulsion.

Good point. But EPL is based on Kethane (no Open Resource System and problems with licensing). Also Karbonite even at this point has almost all function to recreate 3d printing. So close...

Probably easier to have the EL folks add compatibility to Karbonite - although there are at last count three or four community efforts to provide exactly this

KA-2500 Particle Collector has several resources for extraction:

- karbonite

- hydrogen

- nitrogen

- oxygen

The last 3 are just a common feature of ORS or are intended to be used in Karbonite mod somehow?

Common to ORS :)

Oh.. and for whoever asked... we already have Karbonite-fueled rocket engines. They are terrifying.

Has any discussion occurred about Karbonite-fueled Vernor engines or perhaps RCS thruster blocks powered by Karbonite rather than RCS? I can't keep up with this thread anymore :)

Not yet.. though I would say that Karbonite is not exactly known for it's stability and subtlety. Using it for RCS would be kinda like duct-taping a stick of dynamite to a sit-and-spin.

Not yet.. though I would say that Karbonite is not exactly known for it's stability and subtlety. Using it for RCS would be kinda like duct-taping a stick of dynamite to a sit-and-spin.

Yeah, that's what I suspected. It'd provide some massive thrust with the tradeoff of being much, much more inefficient than reg. RCS (and perhaps TOO powerful). I think it'd be interesting to have a fully Karbonite powered SSTO (including being used for mono).

that could be potentially cool :D. instead of steady thrust, the Karbonite based thruster blocks would work in discreet charges. each charge imparting some impulse. player can adjust the impulse with the thrust slider. we can link a nice explosion sound and a burst of flames and sparks to it.

that could be potentially cool :D. Instead of steady thrust, the karbonite based thruster blocks would work in discreet charges. Each charge imparting some impulse. Player can adjust the impulse with the thrust slider. We can link a nice explosion sound and a burst of flames and sparks to it.

dooooo it! :D