Why was Magic Boulder removed?

NASAFanboy

It might, with modding, be possible to make a new magic boulder. I can't mod at all but is it possible to retexture an asteroid, make sure it doesn't despawn, put it on rails and place it in a polar like orbit?

Edited by Megalodon 720

The magic boulder was probably not removed on purpose, but on accident. It's code is still in the game apparently, but it fails to load properly when the game is loading.

that is very interesting. so the boulder was not a glitch, but it was deliberately added. i wonder by whom and why?

As far as I know, it is not loading because, apparently, celestial objects that fully move need to be programmed as either a vessel or a planetary object in order to appear. Both of them make the orbits and icons be visible, so, naturally the Magic Boulder couldn't be any of those. However, due to that, the game refuses to load the boulder into the game as it's neither a vessel or a moon.

I do not remember the names, but there was one very clever modder, who made a mod, which will point to magic boulder with a straight blue line.

It was the day when big boulder hunt was over.

Everyone went to look at boulder, and make a selfie with it, and try to push it, etc...

I recall Nova being disappointed that community decided to cheat instead of finding the boulder the way he supposed it to be done - via use of SSTV transmission data.

So, probably he removed that because he does not want to spend weeks to make up a story around an easter egg, and then seeing it being ruined in an hour, by some sort of hacking into the system...

;1295851']

I recall Nova being disappointed that community decided to cheat instead of finding the boulder the way he supposed it to be done - via use of SSTV transmission data.

I was totally unaware of that. Cold you explain me better the SSTV thing, please?

As far as I know, it is not loading because, apparently, celestial objects that fully move need to be programmed as either a vessel or a planetary object in order to appear. Both of them make the orbits and icons be visible, so, naturally the Magic Boulder couldn't be any of those. However, due to that, the game refuses to load the boulder into the game as it's neither a vessel or a moon.

What about using kerbtown... hmm...?

;1295851']I do not remember the names' date=' but there was one very clever modder, who made a mod, which will point to magic boulder with a straight blue line.

It was the day when big boulder hunt was over.

Everyone went to look at boulder, and make a selfie with it, and try to push it, etc...

So, probably he removed that because he does not want to spend weeks to make up a story around an easter egg, and then seeing it being ruined in an hour, by some sort of hacking into the system...[/quote']

All the other Easter eggs are at known positions and anybody can easy land at them.

You can't keep secrets in games after we got internet. Making it not show up in mapping mode still makes it hard to reach.

The Magic Boulder is alive and well. It had to be moved to [REDACTED] once it was discovered it had the peculiar property of [REDACTED] whenever it was [REDACTED]. You can still visit it, though you need a ship with a lot of dV to get there. Make sure you [REDACTED] as you approach it, otherwise it will [REDACTED] your ship and crew.

Hope this helps.

-snip-

Edited by KasperVld

I once spoke to somebody who had a deeper look into the code. He told me that the Magic Boulder is still in it but the game could not render it anymore because the system changed, showing only ships or planets/moons on rails. Because the Magic Boulder nothing like it, it just disappeared... hiding in the code... waiting for a possible revival.

If you want to visit it, check out the earlier versions of the game.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24858-Old-versions-of-KSP-(some-versions-still-wanted!)

If you want to visit it, check out the earlier versions of the game.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24858-Old-versions-of-KSP-(some-versions-still-wanted!)

You may struggle to find the Magic Boulder in any of these releases, on account of it not being introduced until at least 0.17, when the rest of the planets were released.

You may struggle to find the Magic Boulder in any of these releases, on account of it not being introduced until at least 0.17, when the rest of the planets were released.

Oh it wasnt, my bad.

I just started playing around .20 and I have never seen it in person.

Hm... just to be sure. Cant you also play an earlier version of the game via steam?

The Magic Boulder is alive and well. It had to be moved to [REDACTED] once it was discovered it had the peculiar property of [REDACTED] whenever it was [REDACTED]. You can still visit it, though you need a ship with a lot of dV to get there. Make sure you [REDACTED] as you approach it, otherwise it will [REDACTED] your ship and crew.

Hope this helps.

-snip-

Funny how nobody saw this post. But if the Boulder was moved and we need a lot of dV to visit it, where could it be...?

Edited by KasperVld

Funny how nobody saw this post. But if the Boulder was moved and we need a lot of dV to visit it, where could it be...?

I told you, it's in [REDACTED], which is the last place you'd think to look for it.

-snip-

Edited by KasperVld