[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

OK, the probes looks nice now. However, I'd like to know one thing. Why on earth does Sputnik 1 need with 9 textures, every single one in 512x512? That is a ridiculous amount of maps for such a small thing. Now that they look nice, would you mind optimizing them a little? Even with Load On Demand, this generally results memory usage being much larger than it needs to. I'm afraid that this might pose a problem when trying to adopt this pack for RSS.

Not every probe suffers from it, thankfully (Luna 9/10 is an example of a probe done right from start to end), but those that do (and rockets) still drive up the memory usage to ridiculous levels.

Edited by Guest

I can fix the sputniks easily. The rest of the probes are pretty much fully optimized already. He Sputnik rockets are too. The vostok/Soyuz rockets aren't. There is nothing I can do about those. I didn't texture them and I don't have the source files. I did combined them all into 1 folder and decreased the overall texture size by half already.

Well, it's a pretty simple model. A sphere with prongs and a ridge in the middle. While I certainly don't feel like remaking the textures from scratch, I'm certainly capable of re-UVing it using a single texture. I have neither the source model nor textures, but I do know that Yogui made a Sputnik using just two textures, so it's not like it's impossible.

I can fix the sputniks easily. The rest of the probes are pretty much fully optimized already. He Sputnik rockets are too. The vostok/Soyuz rockets aren't. There is nothing I can do about those. I didn't texture them and I don't have the source files. I did combined them all into 1 folder and decreased the overall texture size by half already.

Well, BobCat somehow managed to make his Soyuz use 6 textures. Your Sputnik uses... 21. The biggest problem is that small, insignificant details get as much texture space as large ones, and that UV space isn't reused for things that look the same/have the same color. A lot of it is simply wasted, filled with nothing but black. Luna 3 and 2 also have way more textures than they should. What is especially peculiar is that the most egregious cases are the probes with the plainest textures, being reflective metal all over (Luna 3 has solar panels and some color, Sputnik 2 has Laika, but that's it). They should use one texture each, at most.

Well, you could use Firespitter modules to do that, FStextureSwitch and FSfuelSwitch. It would reduce the amount of parts but would create a dependancy.

Yes I know but they don't have the same models. Each version has a different piping system on the outside.

I'm going to get rid of the sputnik rocket and merge it into the vostok rocket by duplicating and recoloring it. This will allow me to reuse all the other parts except the fuel tank texture.

That sounds fair. Vostok/Luna was, in fact, Sputnik with some minute internal changes and a second stage. Voskhod/Soyuz was the one which changed things for real (and even then, the changes were not extensive).

FS supports changing meshes along with fuels. That's how B9 makes all its fuselage parts (structural, LF, LFO, Monoprop) one part.

If I am going to change the mesh AND texture anyway, why even bother using fs. It's not going to save memory the parts are still going to be loaded on game launch. It's just over complicating something simple.

Updated V0.97

-Replaced sputnik rocket with new model and textures

-Reduced number of textures and texture size for sputnik and luna probes

-Updated sputnik craft files

-REMOVE OLD VERSION COMPLETELY BEFORE INSTALLING THIS!

You must remove all old files before installing this as texture names and numbers have changed.

This is the new Sputnik rocket:

s6drk8g.png

I found this fix for the issue with decouplers, it works very well in 32 bit AND in the buggy 64bit versions. This solved the problem I had with decoupling the bossters on the R-7 family.

[0.25] Stock Bug Fix Modules

Already know about that. Since I am trying to minimize dependencies I am not going to add that to the download. The boosters use separators for now which fix the decouplers until that fix can be implemented into the stock game.

I'd say, the new Sputnik is actually quite pretty. :) The only thing I'm not really sure of are vertical panel lines, it could look better to leave only horizontal ones, and make them more sparse. Also, I'd advise to try "weakening" the normal map significantly on all rockets. Panel lines are definitely present on the real Soyuz (and all it's variants), but not as thick or deep.

Still, it's the closest I've seen to most depictions of Sputnik LV that are available in color. The other oft-seen color is green, which I find unlikely, because it's just like dark-ish gray (of the sort seen on Soyuz, on kerosene tanks) looks like in old pictures. The BW pictures don't really look like it was dark gray, either, but it also wasn't white (like the Vostok mockup).

Now that I think of it... any chance of a nuclear warhead? :) Sputnik is essentially an R7 with a reprogrammed guidance computer, so it'd just take a new nosecone to replicate the actual R7.

I'd say, the new Sputnik is actually quite pretty. :) The only thing I'm not really sure of are vertical panel lines, it could look better to leave only horizontal ones, and make them more sparse. Also, I'd advise to try "weakening" the normal map significantly on all rockets. Panel lines are definitely present on the real Soyuz (and all it's variants), but not as thick or deep.

Still, it's the closest I've seen to most depictions of Sputnik LV that are available in color. The other oft-seen color is green, which I find unlikely, because it's just like dark-ish gray (of the sort seen on Soyuz, on kerosene tanks) looks like in old pictures. The BW pictures don't really look like it was dark gray, either, but it also wasn't white (like the Vostok mockup).

Now that I think of it... any chance of a nuclear warhead? :) Sputnik is essentially an R7 with a reprogrammed guidance computer, so it'd just take a new nosecone to replicate the actual R7.

I think I have to agree with the warhead idea. With the new destructible buildings that could be a lot of fun.

Hey Nick, great mod, but I'm having some launch troubles.

Firstly the space bar doesn't work to stage. Then few seconds after liftoff, the screen goes black, the HUD items stay but go blank etc, the altitude pointer goes literally off the scale quicker than any rocket could manage. This only happens with your launch hardware, any ideas?

I'll try and get a screenshot next time.

Well seeing as how this doesn't happen in a stock, new install with only my mod and I have no way to reproduce it given the information above, I can't help you as it is likely a mod incompatibility. My mod on it's own can't cause the nuff reff errors you are experiencing as it is just a part mod. I'm willing to bet this problem is plugin related, and being that there is now way for me to help you with it, you need to talk to the plugin creator.

Thanks for the reply, here's a screenshot for reference: http://i.imgur.com/prJNPiu.png

Is there anything specific I could look for in the logs? I've just checked I have the latest Module Manager.

search for a null reference exception in the logs. It will most likely be caused by a plugin. Find which plugin it is and try removing it. There may be multiple errors caused by multiple plugins.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are the RSAT090/270 clamps. They are specifically for the sputnik launchers.
Finished the V090-V270 clamps. These are identical to the shorter ones except they are meant for the larger soyuz rockets.

When will you release these? will they be compatible with tweakscale? they are amazing!