[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

Ok, I'll ask again...How in the hell do you fly these bloody rockets!! The Proton flips out of control as soon as you start a gravity turn, the R7 spins out of control as soon as the boosters separate, and the Zenit, well it does whatever the hell it wants to. I have this problem no matter the configuration, Flight speed, engine throttle, inclination, flight angle, manual, Mechjeb, turn start, turn end, it doesn't matter the setting. They are all useless. I can't launch a damn thing, I am deleting the current version and going back to an older version. Something done in one of the newer versions has mucked up the launch ability of this mod, which sucks as they look phenomenal.

Spoiler
  •  

I'm using stock aero with mod included fairings. I've not had luck with game stability using FAR or realism overhaul. I'm running on OS X in 64bit mode. I had stability in earlier releases, but nothing is controllable now. The only thing that differs is the real plume config I created, but that's not in this mod, it's in real plume. There's no difference with the config file in place or not. The R7 is fine until booster separation, then starts to spin. It's like the vernier engines aren't even there. The proton flips as like the payload has all the weight, regardless of payload type. The zenit takes off spinning and flipping in every which direction. I managed some stability by adding a reaction wheel module and power supply resource to the config file, but it's still unreliable requiring multiple launch reverts to get to orbit. Very frustrating 

On March 15, 2016 at 2:49 AM, Cheesecake said:

For Stock you must use Felbourns Old School Fairings. Look at the OP.

Old school fairings made no difference. I have FAR up and running, which has now provided new challenges on top of the old ones. Now, when the rockets don't fly out of control, they go straight up and never turn. Giving up, going back to a much older version of the mod. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shizzak said:

theres a major the problem arrising with this mod. On rentry the capsule doesn't consider there to be an atmosphere so it doesn't slow down at all

That has nothing to do with this mod at all, don't spread misinformation. It's a modular flight integrator problem and you should be talking to the author of that mod not me.

Edited by raidernick

28 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

stacking fix for the rn_sputnik1_nosecone;

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.32297, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

Yes I don't know how this keeps happening. I've fixed that literally 5+ times now and somehow it keeps ending up a problem. Also it appears somehow the dds textures became mbm again in the latest release. I think something went wrong with my git and it was reverted to an earlier state. I will triple check to make sure this is fixed when 1.1 officially comes out and I update.

Edited by raidernick

on a related note (i'm doing Whitecat's Historic Missions pack and i'm up to sputnik, in case you wondered), should the R7 vernier engines really cost 12.5k funds? you need 12 of them! by way of comparison, the main Block A Engine Cluster costs 12.5k.

EDIT: the R7 winglet is 43.5k funds. that... doesn't seem right!

Edited by speedwaystar

53 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

on a related note (i'm doing Whitecat's Historic Missions pack and i'm up to sputnik, in case you wondered), should the R7 vernier engines really cost 12.5k funds? you need 12 of them! by way of comparison, the main Block A Engine Cluster costs 12.5k.

EDIT: the R7 winglet is 43.5k funds. that... doesn't seem right!

I've stated numerous times I don't use career mode. I made my mods before it existed and I've never actually played it, I have no interest in it. I added placeholder values to the parts so they would actually load in-game. I've been literally asking for years if someone wants to fix the values but nobody ever steps forward to help. I get lots of complaints but no offers of help, people want instant gratification without doing any work themselves. If you want it fixed feel free to fix it yourself and make a PR on the git, but based on past experience I'm not holding my breath.

actually, i've fixed the parts in my own game, based on the cost of the equivalents from Bobcat and Tantares. i'll send you a pull request shortly -- too busy circularizing Sputnik 1 right now :)

Edited by speedwaystar

5 minutes ago, speedwaystar said:

actually, i've fixed the parts in my own game, based on the cost of the equivalents from Bobcat and Tantares. i'll send you a pull request shortly -- too busy circularizing Sputnik 1 right now :)

Well this is a miracle, someone who actually wants to help rather than just demand and complain about a free mod. That is greatly appreciated. The configs on git are several versions ahead of what is currently released because of changes I've been making for 1.1. If you directly PR the configs you have they will fix the prices(and tech tree I assume?) of the parts but also undo the other fixes I've made. Make sure you use the latest configs on the git for the changes, these won't work in 1.0.5 or lower though.

i've just forked your dev branch. i might wait until Community Tech Tree comes out for 1.1 before rejigging the tech, but i'll push new prices as i build the various rockets in my Historic Missions playthrough. next up is the Explorer-1.

Edited by speedwaystar

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, raidernick said:

yes they do you are just doing it wrong.

How do i make it fly then ? Am i using the wrong version of ksp? because i am using 1.0.5 [ i mean the R7]

please answer me fast because i have been using this mod all morning trying to make the R7 boosters work!

Edited by Jeb-head-mug kerman