[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Uhm. Quick question. Is there somewhere to see the orbital information on these deployed orbits for satellites?

Came here to ask this :)

Also, I'm liking the mod so far but I have noticed that when I researched the nuke engine, I changed my mind and quickloaded to a previous point and decided not to research nukes after that. But the contracts still showed up offering to test the nuke engine. Something similar happened when I was offered the 'test escape system' but I haven't even come close to getting to that part.

I also just recieved an asteroid mission and have never researched the claw.

The "test" missions are stock, and will give you parts you haven't researched yet. There is no more information on the orbits as of yet, I'm working on it.

Please do not report satellite contracts generating apoapsis outside of the sphere of influence of their bodies, making those orbits impossible. It is known and will be fixed very soon in a hotfix. For the moment just take a good look at satellite contracts in the tracking station before you accept them.

Edited by Arsonide

At first: Awesome mod!

I'm sure someone suggested this before even though I couldn't find in the search function. What about an option to toggle the waypoint and orbit displays on/off in the tracking station / map view?

The orbital map is the single most powerful too in KSP and it has to convey a huge chunk of the game's information. So cluttering up can become quite an issue when playing on the same safe file for extended periods. Fine Print doesn't really help this issue. :)

Also: If there are two open orbital contracts, how do I tell which is which? Is there some secret colour-coding going on that I haven't understood yet?

Keep up the good work!

Arsonide, thanks for your continued work on this mod. I've been having a lot of fun today putting satellites in orbit, capturing asteroids, and putting a base on the Mun with a cupola that was successfully recognised.

Also, I'm liking the mod so far but I have noticed that when I researched the nuke engine, I changed my mind and quickloaded to a previous point and decided not to research nukes after that. But the contracts still showed up offering to test the nuke engine. Something similar happened when I was offered the 'test escape system' but I haven't even come close to getting to that part.

That's vanilla behavior. If you take a contract to test a part you don't have, it'll give you the part in the VAB.

I'm getting plenty of contracts created by this mod, but hardly any stock ones. Is that normal/intended? (I'm playing on a pretty old save where the tech tree is already fully unlocked.)

The ContractSystem has not been modified at all, and it chooses which contracts appear. It chooses at random, and any patterns you may have noticed are coincidental. My mod has actually placed restrictions on how many of my contracts can appear to reduce any coincidences, but they can still happen.

Broken satellite deployment mission!

First my thoughts on giving a contract that simply says match a specified orbit and not give any details of that orbit until AFTER you select the mission is really dumb!

Second not giving any details of the orbit like AP, EP,Inclination, Eccentricity -- Kind of dumb

Third giving a orbit that in not achievable (and you only discover this AFTER accepting the contract! - That was the last straw for me.

My first satellite mission I get an orbit around the mun that is NOT achievable. To try and reach the AP or EP you leave the mun SOI! So I get saddled with a surprise contract that is impossible to complete!

I got the same problem as ctbram :(

And you can't see were the SOI of the mun ends, so you just know it when your satelite wants to get into the right orbit...

Additionally it would be cool if the contract would generate a useless "targeting" part which i can set as target for the maneuvering.

Broken satellite deployment mission!

First my thoughts on giving a contract that simply says match a specified orbit and not give any details of that orbit until AFTER you select the mission is really dumb!

Second not giving any details of the orbit like AP, EP,Inclination, Eccentricity -- Kind of dumb

Third giving a orbit that in not achievable (and you only discover this AFTER accepting the contract! - That was the last straw for me.

My first satellite mission I get an orbit around the mun that is NOT achievable. To try and reach the AP or EP you leave the mun SOI! So I get saddled with a surprise contract that is impossible to complete!

As the bolded text on the previous page attests, the unachievable missions are being worked on. As for the rest of your post, you can check missions in the tracking station before accepting them.

Loving the new sat deploy missions, I play with remote tech, and this rewards me for getting sats out there. Whether or not they will be in a useful position, well, eh. If it hasn't been suggested yet, would love to see actual orbit details, numbers for inclination periasis and apoapsis and the like in the contracts.

Absolutely love the mod so far, but please include the possibility to use the game's targeting system for satellite deployment missions, trying to fine tune an orbit to the path you see in map view is painful and very time consuming. Giving actual orbit details would be a great start (and is probably easier to implement).

The satellite deployment missions are broken.

I accepted a mission without being able to see the numbers. When I got the satellite up and tried to get it into the shown orbit, I realized the orbit is outside Kerbin's SOI!!!

This is a contract that would have supposedly net me a nice sum, but now I have to take the loss on the contract because I can't create the orbit due to escaping Kerbin. Had I known the Pe and Ap of the orbit was over 84Mm I would have not taken the contract.

Now I have 3 more satellite deployment missions but I don't want to accept any of them because I cannot see which of the missions are which. One of them I want to do but I can't tell them apart. Please include the actual Pe and Ap orbit numbers in the contract guidelines.

Bold text, two pages back. Read it please. Hotfix will be out before tomorrow that fixes this, and to make it up I've been able to add geosynchronous and geostationary missions as well as specifiers for polar and equatorial orbits. I'm just putting the finishing touches on all of it now. Also I fixed completed contracts in the tracking station showing up.

Nifty.

Anyway, something for the next update after this. I'm looking over the flying missions, and while you can locate which waypoints belong to which contracts with a little work, I think if each waypoint had a great circle distance from KSC measured in km next to it, that would be useful. It would help estimate fuel needs and actual time it takes to execute the mission.

For example:

FLY OVER SITE X9-MJROP79 (527 km from KSC): Incomplete

Flight operations missions are easy enough to do cheaply even if you fly each waypoint as an individual mission. (Considering you can recover aircraft in their entirety.)

2014_08_10_1654.png

New patch will now have Molniya and Tundra orbits as well, these orbits have very low periapsis', and I've taken to calling them suicide orbits. Molniya has a period of half a day, and a low periapsis, in Russian it literally translates to "lightning orbit". It gets fast, and scrapes the atmosphere very close.

The point of a Molniya orbit is that Russia doesn't get too much coverage from equatorial geostationary satellites, as their latitude is too high, keeping the apogee high and the period low means that the satellite "hangs" at the apoapsis longer, giving Russia longer coverage. This is evident in this screenshot by the icons bunching up around there. Keep your hands and feet inside the satellite though, as you might hit a passing rock or tree on the way by.

Edited by Arsonide

http://s18.postimg.org/yu4wm1tsp/2014_08_10_1654.png

New patch will now have Molniya and Tundra orbits as well, these orbits have very low periapsis', and I've taken to calling them suicide orbits. Molniya has a period of half a day, and a low periapsis, in Russian it literally translates to "lightning orbit". It gets fast, and scrapes the atmosphere very close.

The point of a Molniya orbit is that Russia doesn't get too much coverage from equatorial geostationary satellites, as their latitude is too high, keeping the apogee high and the period low means that the satellite "hangs" at the apoapsis longer, giving Russia longer coverage. This is evident in this screenshot by the icons bunching up around there. Keep your hands and feet inside the satellite though, as you might hit a passing rock or tree on the way by.

Really enjoying your mod. I spent the weekend on a fresh career save with your missions, which really added to the experience.

Bold text, two pages back. Read it please. Hotfix will be out before tomorrow that fixes this, and to make it up I've been able to add geosynchronous and geostationary missions as well as specifiers for polar and equatorial orbits. I'm just putting the finishing touches on all of it now. Also I fixed completed contracts in the tracking station showing up.
http://s18.postimg.org/yu4wm1tsp/2014_08_10_1654.png

Will the upcoming changes help with some of the more ridiculous satellite orbit contracts? I got one (can't get the orbital parameters until after accepting) that wanted me to put a satellite in retrograde orbit around the sun outside of Jool. Total delta-v was over 26km/s. Not impossible, but pretty tough for the reward being offered.

Just completed my first satellite deployment and it was very fun. Only thing missing was the PE/AP info - with the stock interface, the orbits have to aligned by eye with focus either on Kerbin or the current vessel - neither were particularly helpful in gauging alignment. I'd second (or third or fourth) the request for AP/PE info in the contract overview screen and if it's on the way, then my apologies and I'm looking forward to it.

Entirely unrelated, but who would I have to ask to get integration with NavHud? Because doing the aerial surveys is a lot easier when I know I'm heading towards the target area so at the moment, I'm using MechJeb to target the surface directly below the aerial waypoint, and lining that target up with my heading. So I guess my question is either 'how can the aerial waypoints be shown in NavHud?' or 'is it possible to change the navigation waypoints to actual targets so they show up on the navball/NavHud?'. Just wondering,mind you.. My current method works fine, it'd just be easier and look nicer if I had a little plane icon appear on my NavHud :)