A reminder that KSP has the best community on Earth! (or Kerbin).

Mulbin

if you've dooped yourself into thinking this is a great community congrats

There's no problem with this community, people are polite and helpful

I've been on forums that have torn themselves apart from infighting, I've been on forum that were destroyed by coordinated attacks from shills, forums that got infiltrated by stormfront types (apparently the word that describes them is not allowed on this forum) and all sorts of crazy stuff, those tended to be forums based around quite 'heavy' subjects

This community is a model of co-operation and reason in comparison.

(if a little oversensitive to certain topics)

Edited by MartGonzo

The moderators do a very good job At keeping the trollzors away.

Looking at the minecraft forum or any other forum they have a lot of trolls, so far I have not seen any trolls, except the ones who lurk silently and downrate threads.

Seconded; kudos to the mods.

This is how it should be done.

I have to disagree with everyone else here. Despite popular belief, the Kerbal Space Program forums(god bless it) are not always so perfect and friendly like what everyone seems to comment on. We still got the bad peeps around.

Proof in case:

I'd like to actually be able to see what I'm doing instead of being blinded by an inexplicable, massive glow on everything.

Can't believe you would be so low, Nova. I thought you were better than this.

Why did you make everything blurry?

Is there a point to be proven here?

Do the normal graphixs settings not surpass your expectations?!

Why are you criticizing that way? Does criticizing constructively not fulfill your needs? Is there a point in being so hostile?

I don't understand why some of you guys have a problem with criticizing people's mods. If you don't criticize mods how will the creators ever know what to improve? How bad does a mod have to be before it warrants criticism? Should we all just say every mod is perfect because every creator is a perfect special autistic snowflake while we dance into sunset on a moonlit beach in lalaland?

Because everyone with autism is automatically an idiot, cannot take criticism and thus must be secluded from the world, amirite?

Yes, the community is more friendly than most, but we still have the bad seeds scattered everywhere, and thus it's untrue to say we're the best. So, keep your eyes peeled.

But, of course, considering how everyone on General KSP Discussion seems to despise me for whatever reason and thus ignore whatever I post, this will likely fall on deaf ears, and nobody will care about what I just said. Oh well - to General Add-On Affairs I go!

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole
Re-adapting - this post seems too mean for others to take seriously

If you read that thread (from two years ago!) you can see the mods keeping things civil.

Yes, the mods did keep the things civil - I'm not saying that the mods are worthless. What I'm saying is that we do have some users who are less friendly than others, and gave some examples to back up my statement.

You're countering my statement with something unrelated - and I can understand why you used that argument and the idea behind it, but still makes that akin to fighting fire with alcohol instead of water.

An example of my statement is OtherDalfite.

I have to agree with the OP, this is one of the most civil and helpful forums I´ve ever been, the internet can be a wretched hive of scum and villainy but this community is a shiny beacon of hope. Kudos to the moderators for their fine work.

I have to agree with the OP, this is one of the most civil and helpful forums I´ve ever been, the internet can be a wretched hive of scum and villainy but this community is a shiny beacon of hope. Kudos to the moderators for their fine work.

I know I can count on this community to be awesome! Part of having a good community is having great moderators. Thank you :).

I know I can count on this community to be awesome! Part of having a good community is having great moderators. Thank you :).

Despite the overall naïveness of the users here, I have to agree with this; the forums do have one of the best moderators I have seen. Few(quite possibly none) of them are power-hungry, and I have yet to see a case of a moderator blocking an user for a ridiculous or false reason. Of course, this is subject to change, but for now, no such case has been reported, and hopefully it will continue to be that way forever. :D

Yes, the mods did keep the things civil - I'm not saying that the mods are worthless. What I'm saying is that we do have some users who are less friendly than others, and gave some examples to back up my statement.

You're countering my statement with something unrelated - and I can understand why you used that argument and the idea behind it, but still makes that akin to fighting fire with alcohol instead of water.

I'm not sure it's possible to have a community of non-trivial size and unrestricted entry that doesn't have at least a few bad apples, usually some who are able to keep within the rules enough to avoid banning. The measure of a community is not whether those people exist but how the community deals with them, IMO.

The existence of douchebags does not make a community bad. The fact that the douchebags are prevented from ruining the community is what makes it great.

I'm not sure it's possible to have a community of non-trivial size and unrestricted entry that doesn't have at least a few bad apples, usually some who are able to keep within the rules enough to avoid banning. The measure of a community is not whether those people exist but how the community deals with them, IMO.

...yes, you do have a point.

But what's ticking me off is how some users seem to act like we don't have any of those - referring to the KSP community as "the best on Earth" and "a shiny beacon of hope" seems to imply that we're an utopia with not a single mean user, which, in turn, implies that users are naïve. I guess the correct term would be "one of the best", or simply "a great" community.

Of course, that is likely just a severe nitpick on my part - or might have to do with how I feel like I'm treated like an inferior being compared to how users treat each other. Case in point: Most of my posts in General KSP Discussion go ignored, or even replied in a negative tone. Although that might just be paranoia or jealousy in my part - I do have a tendency to act like that.

The existence of douchebags does not make a community bad. The fact that the douchebags are prevented from ruining the community is what makes it great.

Well, not really - a community that is 75% BadBoys wouldn't exactly be a good community, even if the remaining 25% is very friendly and not bothered or ruined by the rest of the bad seeds. But yes, I do see what you mean, just see the notes I left in my above quote.

But, all in all, regex is right - we don't need several threads that constantly reminds us of how better we are in comparison to others - that simply classifies us as snobs, not gentlemen/gentleladies. ;)

This community is great!

Of course, there's the naivety of the users (which might actually qualify as a good thing), and that... interesting... incident in the rocket builders. Except for that snafu, it's been better than most other forums. Here's two forums you don't want to go to...

Militaryphotos.net (You'll loose some naivety over there...): http://www.militaryphotos.net/

The Flat Earth Society (Darwinism at its worst): http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

Don't even get me started on 4chan... please...

The higher the intelligence of a crowd, the lower the chance of trolls.

Not universally; you should have seen some of the epic flamewars on the Mensa and rec.arts.sf usenet groups back in the day. Clever doesn't always mean nice, and a smart douchebag is worse than a dumb one.

One of the flaws of KSP's community is its need to affirm that it is a better community than [insert other community here].

Being proud of our community is great. Knocking someone else's... not so much. Knocking something you aren't even part of... now that's just hypocrisy. Aren't we above this?

Besides, you would be surprised how much the policies of the parent company influences the behavior of its associated community. You can have the same kind of people in two very similar games, and the communities will act completely different based on how they interact with the game and its developer/publisher.

I think the best part of the community is the sheer amount of dev interaction.

they hold streams where you can ask questions and they will answer them.

your ideas can effect the direction of the game.

you as a member of the community are re-enforced with a link directly to the creators of the game!

and I think that's just swell!

One of the flaws of KSP's community is its need to affirm that it is a better community than [insert other community here].

Being proud of our community is great. Knocking someone else's... not so much. Knocking something you aren't even part of... now that's just hypocrisy. Aren't we above this?

Exactly what I was trying to say. Well... perhaps not exactly, but you get my point. :sticktongue:

This is the fifth - quite possibly the sixth - time I have seen someone yet again point out how we, as a community, are much better than the other ones around the internet, and frankly, that's getting a bit boring. :P Especially considering how constantly pointing that out makes us be snobs, and only pulls us away from the coveted "Perfect Community" title we're aspiring to get. The perfect community doesn't remind itself that it is better than the others - that's the Snob Community's job. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.