Which one?

regex

Which mod do you think will be added?  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Which mod do you think will be added?

Spaceplane Plus would be interesting because it depends on the Firespitter dll, so that would have to be incorporated, too. That would solve so many mod install problems with older versions of the dll being packaged with mods, or it being installed in the wrong place.

Max mentioned that there was some work to be done on the mod before it could be integrated. Removing the requirement for Firespitter and RPM would likely fall under that.

Adding Kerbal Engineer Redux or just a little information text showing you the ∆V and TWR would be great. New spaceplane parts, like those in spaceplane plus, would also be great. I really think the spaceplane parts should be improved. :P

What about Mk2 Cockpit IVA? It's not that big thing (I think) and would encourage some people to actually use it :D

If new spaceplane parts are going to be added, on ticket for the hype train please :)

It's not going to be any resources mod, 100% no. It's not going to be MJ, they don't want to add autopilots. Ferram said it won't be FAR/NEAR, and I'm inclined to believe him. It's not going to be PF, it's too buggy and I'm pretty sure they're not adding planets anytime soon. DRE is a possibility, but I'm inclined to think not. It's not gonna be any of the large parts packs, as they add too many varied parts that devs probably don't like half of. And I don't think it's gonna be one of the small plugins (like editor extensions or tweakables), because it would be simpler for squad to add that themselves then buy it off a mod. Also, I'm thinking it could be a newer mod, as why would they randomly add an old mod now? (Not sure about this though)

So what are we left with? I'm thinking larger plugin packs... Maybe KAC, maybe a simplified KER/VOID (I'd prefer void, it looks and usually functions better), maybe even Fine Print. It could be KAS (I'd love that) as it only adds a couple of parts and works great; it could be SP+ as it would suit the Spaceplane parts redo... It's most likely a plugin, maybe with a few parts...

Well, it doesn't matter anyway, we all know its the Banana.

Edited by Random Tank

Max mentioned that there was some work to be done on the mod before it could be integrated. Removing the requirement for Firespitter and RPM would likely fall under that.

Removing the Firespitter requirement would kill the cargo bays IIRC, which would be a big loss IMO. RPM isn't a requirement for SP+, but the IVAs are certainly designed for it.

SpacePlane plus is impossible because they had an intern working on it all summer.

The spaceplane parts weren't the only thing that Hugo the intern did. He spent much more time on working on the various animations (with Felix I think) and made other parts for 0.24. Only later during his internship did they mention that he was redoing some of the spaceplane parts. Spaceplane parts also seemed to still be on the drawing board only a short time before he left, so I don't think he went through them all. We've only seen some Mk3 parts and the Mk1 cockpit. No Mk2 parts, wings or the other stuff that SpacePlane Plus offers. If Hugo didn't redo all parts, adding Spaceplane Plus would help replacing all the old plane parts in one go and then some.

Edited by CaptRobau

It was said .25 would build on the new contracts system and add an administrative building - so may Fine Print or Final Frontier are as viable as SP+ ...

But integrating new contracts can be done by Squad too - as can the kerbonaut logs ...

It smells like SP+ then, as Hugo might have been working on making all spaceplane parts compatible visually and adding new animations for the cargo bays to get them independent of firespitter.

I only see a few options, maxmaps said it was an adaptation of a mod from a good modder. Sadly that probably excludes KAX, SP+, firespitter, mechjeb, b9, novapuch, KW rocketry etc. but it puts up high hopes for NEAR, Karbonite, and fine print, just a few names off the top of my head.

I guess it's something that Squad could do by themselves but would take a lot of time because it is rather hard to do well. So probably not a part pack. Also why would there be this much hype about a couple of parts if additional parts have been released in the past without much hype? Some people say Enhanced Navball, but that's essentially just a texture replacement (although a very nice mod, Squad does not need help with making textures).

More likely something that involves code.

I guess it's something that Squad could do by themselves but would take a lot of time because it is rather hard to do well. So probably not a part pack. Also why would there be this much hype about a couple of parts if additional parts have been released in the past without much hype? Some people say Enhanced Navball, but that's essentially just a texture replacement (although a very nice mod, Squad does not need help with making textures).

More likely something that involves code.

Code is actually not as likely as you think, since plugins are designed in a different way than Squad can design its gamecode. Parts take a lot of work too and can more easily be integrated into the game and are also hard to do well. It would take one of Squad's employees quite a while to replicate the amount of parts that Spaceplane Plus adds. Integrating that excellent, stock-looking mod makes sense.

My guesses are KAS or Final Frontier (FF would be a nice use for the Admin Building). KAS.. everything Majir said about it indicates it. It hasn't been updated, license allows it, Majir's been busy with RL stuff..

Either that or HotRockets.

EDIT:

Removing the Firespitter requirement would kill the cargo bays IIRC, which would be a big loss IMO.

Stock KSP has ToggleAnimateGeneric - the kind used by solar panels and antennas and landing gears, I think. Could be possible to use that to open cargo bay doors etc, but I don't know. And cargo bays are really only useful with an improved aerodynamic system anyway - aesthetics aside, even if things were in cargo bays in stock, they'd still add drag to the vessel so you might as well get rid of the bay. One less part and slightly less drag (typing that reminded me how bas stock aero is).

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Stock KSP has ToggleAnimateGeneric - the kind used by solar panels and antennas and landing gears, I think. Could be possible to use that to open cargo bay doors etc, but I don't know. And cargo bays are really only useful with an improved aerodynamic system anyway - aesthetics aside, even if things were in cargo bays in stock, they'd still add drag to the vessel so you might as well get rid of the bay. One less part and slightly less drag (typing that reminded me how bas stock aero is).

A cargo bay is still useful because you can add a probe or something and launch it using a spaceplane. Otherwise you'd have to build around it or attach it radially in a really ugly way.

First thing I thought of was FAR. But that was denied by Ferram himself.

My personal favorites are KER/Mechjeb or visual enhancements, can't really decide which of them I see better fitting the criteria.

In any case I'm afraid a lot of people is going to be disappointed when the announcement comes out because they'll not get their hopes fulfilled.

There is no 'none' as answer in your poll Kaspervid.

Anyway, it would be again a bad move from Squad, it looks like they would improve plane parts due to the demand but failed to do it by themselves so they "have to" add someone else's work as a pitiful plan B.

Edited by Justin Kerbice
poll author fixed

There is no 'none' as answer in your poll regex.

Anyway, it would be again a bad move from Squad, it looks like they would improve plane parts due to the demand but failed to do it by themselves so they "have to" add someone else's work as a pitiful plan B.

the poll was kasper

There is no 'none' as answer in your poll regex.

That's not Regex' fault, he did not add the poll. KasperVld did.

I HIGHLY doubt SQUAD is going to add MechJeb to the stock game. They have clearly stated on multiple occasions they do NOT want a stock autopilot.

I don't believe it will be a mod that adds a part or changes/extends anything about the game mechanics.

My money would be on under-the-hood or visual stuff.

- HotRockets & SmokeScreen comes to mind. Squad has stated in the past that they love it.

- Texture Replacer maybe - in the form of a KSP integrated "copy your texture into this folder, and the client will load it instead of the stock texture of the same name" way.

- KER... way too powerful/encompassing in its current format, would need pruning down to the point where the mod would have to continue being developed alongside just to satisfy the veterans.

- IVA mods are also very likely. Maybe even RasterPropMonitor itself. They did state they're reworking some IVAs for .25, how convenient would it be if they also absorbed a really powerful IVA framework at the same time...

- EVE / Better Atmospheres, probably not. It looks great but comes with its own set of problems.

I'd have a joygasm if it was TreeEdit/TreeLoader, or any form of tech tree moddability. But I don't think that'll be it. TreeLoader is old and broken and barely even maintained, while Maxmaps spoke of something "really well made".

Edited by Streetwind

I HIGHLY doubt SQUAD is going to add MechJeb to the stock game. They have clearly stated on multiple occasions they do NOT want a stock autopilot.

They don't want an autopilot computer, but they do want autopilot. They discussed allowing kerbals to be trained to fly craft at one point. It would be important for life support resupplying and getting deeper into the "tycoon mode".

I don't believe it will be a mod that adds a part or changes/extends anything about the game mechanics.

Max has already said that it's parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.