[WIP] Planet Randomizer 0.2.4 (2014-09-21)

metaphor

Yeah like type in a seed (or click "random seed") and see a map of the system. Look around, go "Nuh uh" and put in a new random seed.

You can do that at the tracking station. Since you only use this mod once at the beginning of each save, I didn't think starting a new save each time would be that costly in terms of time taken. But I'll try that out in the next version.

Well I've got to say, this mod is very promising keep it up!

So far I've noticed some confusing things - like huge Jool orbiting tiny, but massive central body (Duna, for ex.), which have escape velocity of 50k+ m/s.

Also it would be definitely good to implement Roche limit, as was mentioned above, to avoid very close orbits.

As to compatibility with other mods - there is an issue with BoulderCo clouds. If a planet got equator radius boost, chances are that instead of terrain, cloud layer would get inflated.

I've noticed a bug where if you start multiple saves in a single KSP game session, for the second save it will start with the planets from the first one instead of the stock planets. That's why if you start many saves without restarting KSP you could end up with a massive Duna etc. Working on fixing this.

I'm not sure I want to put this in a toolbar. It's the kind of mod that you only use once at the beginning of each save. I don't think it makes much sense to randomize the planets when you have ships orbiting etc.

I can probably make it compatible with BoulderCo, will just have to figure out how its config file works.

New patch 0.2.1

Changes: You can now re-randomize the planets multiple times in a single save. When you start one up, go to the tracking station and look at the planets, and pick a different random seed if you want a different planet configuration. It will use the previous configuration as its starting point, so after a few tries you can get very different planets. (Still working on fixing that bug, but you don't have to start multiple saves now.)

New patch 0.2.2

Changes: Fixed the save bug. Now the mod will start with the default planets whenever it is called on to randomize them. (Default meaning stock/RSS/PlanetFactory/whatever planets you already have installed). So there shouldn't be any more Duna's with 10 g's of gravity etc after multiple randomizes.

(edit: how do I change a thread's title?)

Edited by metaphor

Testing this out.

Jeb just took his first steps on the closest and biggest moon of Kerbin, Duna! Delta-v to encounter: 898 m/s! Expeditions to the further-out Eeloo may occur whenever we rescue Jeb from his strandedness.

jeb_s_first_steps_on____duna__by_hgfggg-d7wtqon.png

Note: I no longer need a refresher on spoiler tags...

Kerbin has Duna as a moon and Jool as a parent. Laythe also orbits Jool, with the moons of Moho and Eeloo.

Within Jool orbit: Tylo and Eve. Within Eve orbit: Kerbin and Duna. Within Tylo orbit: Laythe.

Gilly orbits Eeloo orbits Kerbin orbits Jool. A moon around a moon around a moon. Everything is so far out...

Vall as a moon, Dres as Vall's moon. Duna orbits Eve orbits Hot Jool. Gilly, Pol, and Ike forever alone. Moho's got Bop. Tylo and Eeloo are this seed's Pluto and Charon. Tiny Minmus, alone. Mun and Laythe orbit very far away from each other.

Kerbin and Vall around Jool. Pol orbits Bop orbits Eeloo. Gilly alone, Eve has Duna and Ike.

Kerbin, Ike, and Eve orbit Jool. Mun, Dres, and Bop with Gilly are this Seed's vulcanoids. Minmus orbits Eeloo orbits Tylo, which also has Moho in its grasp. Duna and Laythe are both alone.

Reporting with the next three after a sleep of sorts. Let's hope the next leap... is the leap home. Or at least somewhere similar.

Edited by Tangle

Testing this out. Seed: 127970. Jeb just took his first steps on the closest and biggest moon of Kerbin, Duna! Delta-v to encounter: 898 m/s! Expeditions to the further-out Eeloo may occur whenever we rescue Jeb from his strandedness. http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/238/b/a/jeb_s_first_steps_on____duna__by_hgfggg-d7wtqon.png

Note: I need a refresher on spoiler tags...

Jackpot seeds: 759072: Kerbin has Duna as a moon and Jool as a parent. Laythe also orbits Jool, with the moons of Moho and Eeloo.

766672: Within Jool orbit: Tylo and Eve. Within Eve orbit: Kerbin and Duna. Within Tylo orbit: Laythe.

Seeds, 0-9:

Seed 0: Vall as a moon, Dres as Vall's moon. Duna orbits Eve orbits Hot Jool. Gilly, Pol, and Ike forever alone. Moho's got Bop. Tylo and Eeloo are this seed's Pluto and Charon. Tiny Minmus, alone. Mun and Laythe orbit very far away from each other.

Seed 1: Kerbin and Vall around Jool. Pol orbits Bop orbits Eeloo. Gilly alone, Eve has Duna and Ike.

Seed 2: Kerbin, Ike, and Eve orbit Jool. Mun, Dres, and Bop with Gilly are this Seed's vulcanoids. Minmus orbits Eeloo orbits Tylo, which also has Moho in its grasp. Duna and Laythe are both alone.

Reporting with the next three after a sleep of sorts. Let's hope the next leap... is the leap home. Or at least somewhere similar.

Awesome! While testing I did find a system that had Mun and Minmus orbiting Kerbin (with Kerbin tidally locked to Mun), but everything else was different. That was the closest to stock I saw.

Do you have any suggestions about the distribution? (Think there's too many moons and not enough planets? Are the moons too big with respect to their planet? Should moons that orbit other moons even exist? Should the planets/moons have more eccentric orbits? Etc...)

I don't have any suggestions except for: Perhaps include a few easter egg systems if you can contain a bit of the randomness- for example, Seed 1337 might have everything very far from each other. Maybe also 71053 would have everything close to each other.

Edited by Tangle

I don't have any suggestions except for: Perhaps include a few easter egg systems if you can contain a bit of the randomness- for example, Seed 1337 might have everything very far from each other. Maybe also 71053 would have everything close to each other.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I might do something like that, except not with specific seed numbers. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any way to implement a "stock system" option? I would like to have some games with the stock system and some randomized, but, when I try to not select a new system, it randomizes it anyway.

Is there any way to implement a "stock system" option? I would like to have some games with the stock system and some randomized, but, when I try to not select a new system, it randomizes it anyway.

What Tangle said. In the newest version (0.2.2) you can just press "Done" after starting a save and your game will remain stock. Does that not happen?

I got a random seed of 664336 and it all looked good other then the space center had eternal night XD

Did you try time warping ahead? The rotation of Kerbin starts out random, so it could either be day or night at the space center at the start of the game. Also, Kerbin might have a longer rotation period than stock so you might have to warp a while to get to day. Look at the tracking station to see Kerbin's rotation period (select Kerbin and click the planet button on the right side of the screen).

How do I install this correctly? Whenever I try, it crashes the game before it gets to the start menu. I'm using a mac, latest version of KSP.

Do you have any other mods installed? I'm actually not sure at all how it works with Macs, since I've only tested it on Windows.

I'll give this a try as soon as I finish stuff on my stock career mode play through, it looks great! However, I will be seriously disappointed if there is no chance that Jool could orbit Gilly :)

Well, if there ever is a config file that lets it shrink Jool and make Gilly at least 10 times bigger...

Been poking around in the thread for an answer this, but have seen nothing thus far! Let me know if I missed it:

I'd love to give this mod a go, but have noticed that the mod is designed for *new* save games. I assume, therefore, that it cannot be implemented such that it changes the locations of planets in ongoing save games (even just one time)?

Further, how does this mod impact science collection? Is it still feasible to progress in a similar manner as stock (for instance, if I have Duna as a moon, will I get a similar amount of science from it as though it were the Mun itself?)

Been poking around in the thread for an answer this, but have seen nothing thus far! Let me know if I missed it:

I'd love to give this mod a go, but have noticed that the mod is designed for *new* save games. I assume, therefore, that it cannot be implemented such that it changes the locations of planets in ongoing save games (even just one time)?

Further, how does this mod impact science collection? Is it still feasible to progress in a similar manner as stock (for instance, if I have Duna as a moon, will I get a similar amount of science from it as though it were the Mun itself?)

Yeah, only new save games can be randomized. It wouldn't be too hard to make it apply to ongoing save games, but I don't know if it really makes sense. If you were to use it in an ongoing game, your ships would end up on odd orbits, outside their planet's SOI, etc. So I just made it apply to new save games so people don't accidentally use it in the middle of one.

Science is unaffected compared to the stock planets for now. If Kerbin has Duna as a moon, you would get the same science from it as from Duna in the stock game (and since Duna has a single biome, it would be less than the Mun). I'm not sure how I want to change that, since if you have biomes added to other planets it would result in vastly different science points.

Hey i'm crashing on startup of ksp with only this installed.

Im on osx 10.9.2 and ksp 0.24.2.

here is the crash log http://pastebin.com/mFtirXAL

Did you place the PlanetRandomizer folder in your GameData folder?

Super interesting mod. Will have to try sometime.

So does this just move stuff around, or does it change mass/size etc of planets?

It changes a planet's radius and density randomly by a factor of 2 at the most (any more than that and the terrain starts looking too bumpy or too flat). Working on changing textures so that that's not a problem anymore.

Edited by metaphor

Yeah, only new save games can be randomized. It wouldn't be too hard to make it apply to ongoing save games, but I don't know if it really makes sense. If you were to use it in an ongoing game, your ships would end up on odd orbits, outside their planet's SOI, etc. So I just made it apply to new save games so people don't accidentally use it in the middle of one.

Science is unaffected compared to the stock planets for now. If Kerbin has Duna as a moon, you would get the same science from it as from Duna in the stock game (and since Duna has a single biome, it would be less than the Mun). I'm not sure how I want to change that, since if you have biomes added to other planets it would result in vastly different science points.

Hey Metaphor, thanks for your response to this. I'll give it a go and see what I come up with!

Great mod, but I just have a slight nitpick: when using Environmental Visual Enhancements and Astronomer's Visual Pack, the effects (clouds, glow, etc.) remain in a fixed spot independent of the radius of a planet or moon, so clouds go either inside the planet and become invisible if the radius increases, or go way too far out if the radius decreases. Any way to fix this?

Examples: http://imgur.com/a/BGJv8#0

Edited by Rhyfeddol