Look Who's Moved into the KSC!

SQUAD

I like how the new building looks, I can't wait to see it in action! One thing I do hope for is some activity around the space center sometime, there's a thread in Fan Works that mentions it would be nice to have some Kerbals walking around the space center. Interaction isn't entirely necessary in my opinion, but having a population of Kerbals would be nice.

I suddenly get why companies do not like to share information before it's too late. Jeez.

The criticism in this thread is valid and fairly calm, there isn't any hysteria or name calling that I can see; it would be best not to read too much acerbity into the previous posts.

Looks nice! Though I have one request: Don't make the helipad much larger than the one on the VAB - it's more fun when they're equally challenging to land on. But having a circular helipad means that we can now practice both our rectangular and circular landing skills (whatever that means)!

“I'm approaching the administration center. The thing's hollow  it goes on forever  and  oh my God!  it's full of spreadsheets!!â€Â

I like how the new building looks, I can't wait to see it in action! One thing I do hope for is some activity around the space center sometime, there's a thread in Fan Works that mentions it would be nice to have some Kerbals walking around the space center. Interaction isn't entirely necessary in my opinion, but having a population of Kerbals would be nice.

I agree that it would be cool seeing some Kerbals walking around the entire space center and not just only inside the SPH and VAB.

Some advice on the model:

1. 20 polys round for an object that large is far too few.

Good luck ordering curved glass for your house, or even building the window beams. It could be done from a solid concrete I suppose, but it would be a very complex concrete form.Suffice to say I wouldn't enjoy building a perfectly round building, it would be a right nightmare...

Some advice on the model:

1. 20 polys round for an object that large is far too few.

2. One whole edge of the building has broken vertex normals facing the camera and these should be easy to fix. (if those are still broken in the game release that'd be inexcusable, this is immensely easy in both Blender and 3Dsmax to solve) fixing this would also make the window on that edge not look quite so awkward.

3. Some building features look a bit too "flat" imo, like the big glass front with the door, and I think the buildings edges could do with some feature interest (like flashing panels or a lip) but that depends how hard you're budgeting the polygons here.

4. The stairwell looks kinda awkward. Shape seems odd to me, that and it being next to a window (though if the stairs are a free floating frame inside I guess that could explain it from an architecture standpoint.)

building models surprisingly aren't easy tbf, mainly what stalled me doing the same so much. But these are definitely things that could be addressed.

1: The general design of the building isn't meant to be perfectly round.. there is no such thing as a round building.. they all have flat surfaces.. esp w/glass.

2: The object here is to look convincing... does it accomplish this? absolutely. Nobody is putting a microscope up Squads nethers to find microscopic detail anomalies.

3: The overall look of the building seems to have enough depth to get the job done. I don't know about you, but I don't zoom in on the buildings while I'm building my giant alien-asteroid-prober-thingy.

4: pure conjecture,opinion. Looks fantastic to me. Modelling is First and foremost about putting your idea into 3 dimensions. Minute detail is only required on a model that is going to be examined thoroughly as part of the game, or in the forefront of the main context of the application itself. It fits neither of these categories. It's a building that sits in the background doing nothing but looking like a building and briefly seen before it gets clicked on from the main view of the space center. Landing on it, is another story.. but once again. who concentrates on the roof over-hang of the building while your strangling your keyboard trying to land your 5000 ton behemoth... lol

Edited by Talavar

As a Kerbal streamer on KSPTV I have inside knowledge of what the administration building is going to be for. We are going to get an extension of the Astronaut Center. Its primary focus will be managing aspects of the Kerbals. More specifically we will have the ability to fire/layoff/sequester Kerbals during times of financial issues. However this is not without its downsides. If you make a Kerbal redundant there is a modifier (dependent on how you break it to them) that will cause you to lose control of the Kerbal. It will then crash into the ground, destroying all the science you earned. Thankfully if you don't get that modifier, reentry is simply the sound of Kerbals weeping softly into their gloved hands.

none of this is true

Edited by tanuki_chau

As a Kerbal streamer on KSPTV I have inside knowledge of what the administration building is going to be for. We are going to get an extension of the Astronaut Center. Its primary focus will be managing aspects of the Kerbals. More specifically we will have the ability to fire/layoff/sequester Kerbals during times of financial issues. However this is not without its downsides. If you make a Kerbal redundant there is a modifier (dependent on how you break it to them) that will cause you to lose control of the Kerbal. It will then crash into the ground, destroying all the science you earned. Thankfully if you don't get that modifier, reentry is simply the sound of Kerbals weeping softly into their gloved hands.

:0.0: Gasp!

Is this really what the admin building will be for?

1: The general design of the building isn't meant to be perfectly round.. there is no such thing as a round building.. they all have flat surfaces.. esp w/glass.

2: The object here is to look convincing... does it accomplish this? absolutely. Nobody is putting a microscope up Squads nethers to find microscopic detail anomalies.

3: The overall look of the building seems to have enough depth to get the job done. I don't know about you, but I don't zoom in on the buildings while I'm building my giant alien-asteroid-prober-thingy.

4: pure conjecture,opinion. Looks fantastic to me. Modelling is First and foremost about putting your idea into 3 dimensions. Minute detail is only required on a model that is going to be examined thoroughly as part of the game, or in the forefront of the main context of the application itself. It fits neither of these categories. It's a building that sits in the background doing nothing but looking like a building and briefly seen before it gets clicked on from the main view of the space center. Landing on it, is another story.. but once again. who concentrates on the roof over-hang of the building while your strangling your keyboard trying to land your 5000 ton behemoth... lol

My point is consistency. The Space port by bac9 is highly detailed, and this model uses bac9's space port texture atlas so it's obviously intended to blend with them.

Points 1 & 2 are related. Firstly the model appears to have smoothed edges on all but one side, implying it is supposed to be a round shape and that one edge is mistakenly not smoothed. It may just be a trick of the light in the screenshots given, but looking at the screenshot again and the back especially for comparison, it seems to be the case that it should be smooth all around. Check the screenshot carefully. the building shading shows it is supposed to be all round except on the joint of all the faces on one edge. It's an error. An easily fixed one too if using 3Dsmax or Blender, literally few clicks to solve.

Also

"2: The object here is to look convincing... does it accomplish this? absolutely." to quote your reply to the 4th : "pure conjecture,opinion." and the reason is:

"3: The overall look of the building seems to have enough depth to get the job done."

This model will stand with other models which have much higher detail applied to them than this one. Go explore the space centre buildings and check the detail on them, then see if you can honestly say the depth is sufficient.

It's an error. An easily fixed one too if using 3Dsmax or Blender, literally few clicks to solve.

Two words: rough draft. Surely not everything you have ever created was perfect in its first iteration?

none of this is true

Note the fine print under this post... lol

My point is consistency. The Space port by bac9 is highly detailed, and this model uses bac9's space port texture atlas so it's obviously intended to blend with them.

Points 1 & 2 are related. Firstly the model appears to have smoothed edges on all but one side, implying it is supposed to be a round shape and that one edge is mistakenly not smoothed. It may just be a trick of the light in the screenshots given, but looking at the screenshot again and the back especially for comparison, it seems to be the case that it should be smooth all around. Check the screenshot carefully. the building shading shows it is supposed to be all round except on the joint of all the faces on one edge. It's an error. An easily fixed one too if using 3Dsmax or Blender, literally few clicks to solve.

Also

"2: The object here is to look convincing... does it accomplish this? absolutely." to quote your reply to the 4th : "pure conjecture,opinion." and the reason is:

"3: The overall look of the building seems to have enough depth to get the job done."

This model will stand with other models which have much higher detail applied to them than this one. Go explore the space centre buildings and check the detail on them, then see if you can honestly say the depth is sufficient.

Reiterate my previous comment about a microscope... 0.o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.