[1.0.4] Oblivion Aerospace Pack: Now supports stock heating! (v0.1.5, 2015-06-24)

LostOblivion

DR actually already supports all heatshields out of the box using Ablator or AblativeShielding, and using the stock Ablator system means the shield gets discolored from re entry. I think that is a nice feature to keep the Ablator system.

I'm currently having a dialogue with Starwaster on supporting DR, and it seems to be a piece of cake, but I am away from my workstation this weekend, and it's syttendemai tomorrow (Norway's national day), so I can't promise anything, but I will get on it as soon as I can.

Also, he says he might change some things in his upcoming version, so I might wait until he is confident about the changes.

Also, I will likely use all DR modules/resources if DR is installed so that Starwaster can have complete authority on the implementation in the future, even if he does not need it right now...

And for the argument of the blackening effect from reentry, perhaps Squad will make something available to modders so as to make it available in a mod.

I have a dumb question... When building LIl Cases ect with shields Where should I strive to keep my COM? I always assumed at the bottom because like on rockets if you want the nose to go first you have to have COL behind COM or els it tumbles.... But I keep finding that my lil Shells with Shields Don't always act as expected.... I think I'm not understanding how to build those properly because in many case the hollow Shell is above the COM thinking when it inters atmosphere it will want to right itself up correctly.

I'm a wrong I mean ive tried a few different things but I cant get my Probe/Vehicle shells renter in the right orientation.

You are right to put the center of mass below the center of lift. It should work.

Couple of things you could check though. Are you using stock aero? Are you using fairings of some sort? Make sure that if you are using proc fairings, that all end nodes have a part attached, or the contents will technically be exposed to the airstream. Is there a kerbal in a hot seat perhaps? Kerbals weigh 100 kg. Finally, some pictures couldn't hurt.

You are right to put the center of mass below the center of lift. It should work.

Couple of things you could check though. Are you using stock aero? Are you using fairings of some sort? Make sure that if you are using proc fairings, that all end nodes have a part attached, or the contents will technically be exposed to the airstream. Is there a kerbal in a hot seat perhaps? Kerbals weigh 100 kg. Finally, some pictures couldn't hurt.

I use PRC fairing,FAR I tried using the default KSP heat shield and for some reason COL is Way in front of COM for no reason, Perhaps due to the shield being so flat. I redid exactly the same design with your part and it seems to work.

7Z0uQSg.jpg So it confuses me because the exact same design but with stalk shield Flips over... and yet this falls as intended so when ever I think I understand how some aerodynamic works... BAM it behaves differently in the same condition.

Thus why I wanted to confirm that I understand how it's suppose to work. But honestly I think in Stalk KSP I get everything to work as intended I think that at this point Far changes little suttle things.

I see. Well, to be fair I haven't tested how the heat shields behave in nuFAR. I should edit the readme at some point, but I am drenched in work atm. :/

Hey no worries I'm not trying to suggest anything is wrong with your mod, I was just trying to confirm I was building things right because they behave differently It might be the Default parts that behaves weird in nufar ect like who knows, It's probably me who Doesn't understand how to built things properly for them to fly how I Want in nufar! So I was more so trying to look for design advice! I'm not trying to say anything is wrong with the mod! I love it! When I use your parts stuff seem to work as I intend! But I'm trying to recreate the function with Default parts and I thought id ask for tips here because this thread is parts for a Protective Shell so I thought people here would know exactly how to build them for them to be stable on re entry!

But if you guys say COM has to be towards the bottom! that's what I suspect but a lot of times as much as I put the mass down low sometimes it flips over! so it had me thinking there was something I didn't understand! that's all :)

HOW ever I don't know if it's a bug with the mod itself or what but I made my build ect everything seems to work fine until I Decouple the assembly from the screen shot in my previous post...... It was coupled to a Docking port JR the smallest one and I did decouple node.Then I went to the Tracking station and deorbited The launcher stage... then switched back to the HEat shield assembly and this happened.iifn1DW.jpg Has this happened before? Perhaps I found a bug?

Edited by Dermeister

Oh, it got bigger? Might have something to do with the MM config.

THat's what she said! LOL! sorry :P! but yea it got bigger but! I think I found out that it only gets bigger when you have the heatsheild set as the primary part! so I changed it to the Probe core and now It doesn't get bigger anymore. So again it might or might not be a bug but I just thought id report it incase it could be serious

THat's what she said! LOL! sorry :P! but yea it got bigger but! I think I found out that it only gets bigger when you have the heatsheild set as the primary part! so I changed it to the Probe core and now It doesn't get bigger anymore. So again it might or might not be a bug but I just thought id report it incase it could be serious

Ugh, that's an old ANCIENT bug... it should have died by now but I guess it's still with us. It was supposedly.... partially fixed a few KSP versions ago but basically parts that use MODEL{} nodes and rescaleFactor is anything except 1 will be resized if it is the root part and you reload craft in a save game

Ugh, that's an old ANCIENT bug... it should have died by now but I guess it's still with us. It was supposedly.... partially fixed a few KSP versions ago but basically parts that use MODEL{} nodes and rescaleFactor is anything except 1 will be resized if it is the root part and you reload craft in a save game

Makes sence! because ever since I changed the root part, It dosent do it anymore!

Makes sence! because ever since I changed the root part, It dosent do it anymore!

Ok. I tried out using MM to make the 1.25m and 3.75m variants by using rescaleFactor, so that is probably it. I might go back to scaling the module using model transforms so as to avoid this bug. Thanks for the heads up! :-)

Question- does the heat shield come with a stock procedural fairing allowance?

Sorry, but it's a good idea seeing as how it could make for some cool designs...but I think I'll leave it be for the shields, I like keeping things modular.

Something that could work though is simply adding a really short part that acts as a stock proc fairing that could be put on top of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember in the early versions of Deadly Re-entry, the first one in KSP 0.20 or similar. The heatshield or capsule had their mass off-set slightly so once you decoupled your service module you could rotate the capsule to generate lift in the direction you wanted. So if you were coming in too shallow you could align yourself to come in steeper or vice-versa. DRE doesn't add that and I understand why but I've been wanting that utility for quite some time.

Now that I've found this it seems that I've found something similar! The heatshield looks awesome, cant wait for the DRE compatability patch!

I remember in the early versions of Deadly Re-entry, the first one in KSP 0.20 or similar. The heatshield or capsule had their mass off-set slightly so once you decoupled your service module you could rotate the capsule to generate lift in the direction you wanted. So if you were coming in too shallow you could align yourself to come in steeper or vice-versa. DRE doesn't add that and I understand why but I've been wanting that utility for quite some time.

Now that I've found this it seems that I've found something similar! The heatshield looks awesome, cant wait for the DRE compatability patch!

Actually, I thought they were already working with DRE given that by default it's replacing all stock ModuleAblator with DRE ModuleHeatShield.

Only just noticed that they weren't yesterday when I tried to use one on my Jool probe. Oops.

Replace your existing DeadlyReentry.cfg with the development version here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/Dev/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry.cfg

Thanks, Starwaster. I'm completely soaked up at work, and haven't had time to maintain the mod.

I'm totally fine with having DR patch the shields, and perhaps it's even more proper seeing as how reentry is stock now.

Btw, if you want offset mass for the heat shield, you could patch it by setting a slightly offset center of mass using the CoMOffset on the part. Problem is that the space craft gets unbalanced, however this might be overcome by countering the offset by offsetting the mass of the shroud.

Thanks, Starwaster. I'm completely soaked up at work, and haven't had time to maintain the mod.

I'm totally fine with having DR patch the shields, and perhaps it's even more proper seeing as how reentry is stock now.

Btw, if you want offset mass for the heat shield, you could patch it by setting a slightly offset center of mass using the CoMOffset on the part. Problem is that the space craft gets unbalanced, however this might be overcome by countering the offset by offsetting the mass of the shroud.

Might be better to use CoPOffset ... I think that the effects of CoMOffset can be magnified as mass on the part varies. As it might in the case of resources. Unless perhaps there some cases where that might be desirable....

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I thought they were already working with DRE given that by default it's replacing all stock ModuleAblator with DRE ModuleHeatShield.

Only just noticed that they weren't yesterday when I tried to use one on my Jool probe. Oops.

Replace your existing DeadlyReentry.cfg with the development version here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/Dev/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry.cfg

Thanks for adding support for DRE.

Edited by weeble

• 2 weeks later...

This shield is a nice fit for a proposed Mars architecture published last month.

The publication includes this figure:

master.img-008.jpg

The only problem is that the proposed heatshield is 12m, putting a kerbalized version somewhere around 7.5m.

I gave the 3.75m one a shot though, and while it's minimalist (9.3tons vs 73tons) it's vaguely similar:

OaFGs3Y.jpg

Any plans for larger sizes?

Edited by woot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.