The Windows 64 bit Thread

To anyone who want to use 64-bit version KSP:

First: x64 (aka 64-bit) version of KSP is HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL BUILD.

You have been warned.

Second: It CAN and it WILL break your game in many ways that are discussed below.

Again, you have been warned.

Third: Many of these ways suspected to be Unity-related, which means that SQUAD has absolutely NO MEANS to fix them.

One more time, you have been warned.

This fixes the issue which completely broke right-clicking parts on all OSes, which was a different bug than the win64-specific right clicking difficulties (which is actually a deeper issue which affects a bunch of other things).

Unfortunately, there is no known fix for the win64 issues yet, as that is a Unity bug, and at the moment we know of no workaround for it, or even what it is exactly. We suspect it's related to coroutines not returning in a timely manner, but it's hard to tell.

Is the 64 bit Windows build any more stable than from 0.24?

Ted: The 64-bit Windows build suffered some significant stability issues with 0.25. However, after a lot of debugging, issue tracking and all around hard work by the developers and testers, we've implemented some hopeful fixes for the issues that were presenting themselves. Despite this though, it should be noted that the 0.25 64-bit Windows build is still inherently unstable and may be prone to crashing - even stock. These issues are unfortunately beyond our reach to fix, but please let us know if you find any useful test cases or workarounds, as those can possibly lead to fixes either from us or from Unity.

Since we've already got too many "x64 problem" threads, I've decided to make a meta-list of all bugs, issues and glitches that plague 64-bit Windows version of KSP.

Please read these rules before posting into this thread:

1) This thread is dedicated to bug reporting for Kerbal Space Program, version 0.25, x64 Windows EXE (KSP_x64.exe). Other versions (32-bit, 64-bit for Mac\Linux) should not be discussed here. If you have encountered a bug that is also present in x86 (32-bit) version, please report it as general KSP bug.

2) If you want to report a bug, include as many details as you can (screenshots, videos, logs, saves, craft files, etc) and instructions on how to reproduce it, if possible.

3) No mods here. Use support forum for modded installs to try to get help. Please notice that most modders do not support x64 version..

4) Version 0.24.2 and earlier is not supported anymore. Please update.

KNOWN BUGS

Disambiguation:

- Red: Serious bug, no fix

- Orange: Serious bug, partial fix

- Green: Complete fix\Minor bug or not a bug\Does not break the game

Delayed\locked staging

How it manifests: Sometimes you need to press Next Stage button several times to activate next stage. This also prevents quick activation of several stages.

Also, easy to reproduce: attach several radial engines to fuel tank+probe (1 engine per stage), launch and try to activate all stages real quick.

Solution: No known fix.

Game randomly crashes to desktop

How it manifests: Game randomly crashes on desktop. Currently, info about this bug is insufficient to make conclusions about what causes it and\or reproduce it. Might be hardware-related.

Transmission of experiment results yield less science than it states

How it manifests: When you review results of your scietific experiments, it will show you how much Science points you'll get from returning results to Kerbin and transmitting them via antenna. However, in x64 version you may get less points from transmission than it states. Confirmed with EVA experiments (report and surface sample) done on Launch Pad, there also reports of incorrect results for EVA report done in Minmus orbit.

Note that recovering experiments yield stated points.

To reproduce, build a craft that contains manned pod, Communotron 16 antenna and some batteries. Launch, go EVA, do both EVA experiments. Return to the pod and transmit them.

Their transmit worth: EVA Report - 2.4 Science, Surface sample - 2.3 Science (if you've never done these before)

On 32-bit, you'll get 4.7 Science. On 64-bit, you'll get 3 Science (2 for Report, 1 for Sample).

Interesting thing: Crew Report yields full results (at least on Launch Pad).

UPDATE: Workaround may be found here. Note that it alters game balance.

Right-click on part does not activate menu

How it manifests: Right-click on any part does not activate context menu. This bug seems to manifest more often after several quickloads.

To reproduce, start a new save and launch any pod. Try right-clicking on it and see if that activates menu. Then do a quick-save and immediately do quick-load. See if right-clicking became harder. It might be almost impossible to open (or close) menu afer several save-loads.

Note that going to non-flight scene (Space Center) seems to "reset" number of "cycles" needed.

Solution: If you need to use quickload, try to go to Space Center and use save-load menu from there. Otherwise, no known fix.

Left mouse button is working as right mouse button upon quit

How it manifests: After you've quit the game (by any means - menu, Alt-F4, crash), your LMB will act strangely (for example, it will activate right-click menu on desktop). Apparently, this is a Unity bug.

Solution: Click anywhere with right mouse button, this will fix it.

Decouplers does not working as intended

How it manifests: decouplers does not apply any ejection force. Very rarely, they may work as intended, but this is random.

You can easily reproduce it: go into VAB, place any 2.5m fuel tank, attach Rockomax Brand Decoupler on top of it, attach any light probe on top of decoupler, launch and activate decoupler. If it works as intended - probe will be launched into air; if not - probe will just fall into decoupler.

Solution: Fixed in 0.24.1 update.

Lagging GUI animation

How it manifests: Some of animated GUI elements (Kerbal portraits and stage light indicator being most apparent) experience serious lag. The game itself is running fine.

Flashing frames during scene change

How it manifests: During scene change (mostly between VAB\launchpad or SPH\runway) there is a quick flash of other scene (mostly Astronaut building). Scene loads normally. Apparently, this is just a visual bug.

Can't launch x64 version of KSP

Solution: There are several, fastest is:

- Go to your KSP folder

- Find "KSP_x64.exe"

- Right-click on it and select "Make a shortcut"

- Cut-paste this shortcut to your desktop or other convenient place

- Use it to launch x64 version

Edited by biohazard15

• 2 months later...
Transmission of experiment results yield less science than it states

How it manifests: When you review results of your scietific experiments, it will show you how much Science points you'll get from returning results to Kerbin and transmitting them via antenna. However, in x64 version you may get less points from transmission than it states. Confirmed with EVA experiments (report and surface sample) done on Launch Pad, there also reports of incorrect results for EVA report done in Minmus orbit.

Note that recovering experiments yield stated points.

To reproduce, build a craft that contains manned pod, Communotron 16 antenna and some batteries. Launch, go EVA, do both EVA experiments. Return to the pod and transmit them.

Their transmit worth: EVA Report - 2.4 Science, Surface sample - 2.3 Science (if you've never done these before)

On 32-bit, you'll get 4.7 Science. On 64-bit, you'll get 3 Science (2 for Report, 1 for Sample).

Interesting thing: Crew Report yields full results (at least on Launch Pad).

UPDATE: Workaround may be found here. Note that it alters game balance.

The link to the fix is broken and I forget how to do it! Oh and the bug isn't fixed in 0.25

The link to the fix is broken and I forget how to do it! Oh and the bug isn't fixed in 0.25

Sorry, can't help there :( I don't remember who implemented it, when or how it was done. Let's hope that he or she will read it and re-post his\her fix.

You'd better use 32-bit anyway, as 0.25 x64 is even more unstable than before.

Edited by biohazard15

KSP_x64 (bug)

Just an FYI.

I have played in earlier versions of tha game both in x86 & x64, which worked just fine. Today after the update (0.25), i decided to play in x64 version (64bits). All worked well, unitll.... I tried to enter the VAB, SPH, and any other building.... It does not highlight nor does it let me enter the buildings... I am stuck viewing the Kerbal Space Center. This means that i cant play.

So I tried in the x86 (32bits) version and it works just fine.

I hope this helps.

Take care & my regards,

Julius Validus

P.S. I have an Acer Aspire 5740G. Specs: 'I3 (1st. gen.) CPU' with 'ATI HD 5650 1GB GPU'.

Advertisments: Join the 'Jungfaha Corporation [JungC.org]'

[JungC] Online gamming community.

Edited by Jungfaha

Sorry, can't help there :( I don't remember who implemented it, when or how it was done. Let's hope that he or she will read it and re-post his\her fix.

You'd better use 32-bit anyway, as 0.25 x64 is even more unstable than before.

That was me, and I have the patchfile around here somewhere... aha.

// KSP x64 Science Transmission Workaround.
// Remove when the bug is fixed to restore stock functionality.
//-------------------------------------------------------------------
@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:Final
{
@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
{
@packetSize *= 1000
}
}

Just make a cfg file in your gamedata folder (or whatever personal part sub-folder you use) named something you can recognize (I use 'ScienceTransmissionFix.cfg')

It Works around the problem by pushing all the data in the first burst. So there is no micro transmission stuttering. This breaks the EC/Packet balance. (not a significant problem for most people)

anyhow, Enjoy!

It's also worth mentioning that the 4GB ram-limit problem might origin from things like shaders.

I don't know did anybody else noticed, but - Linux x64 is rock solid, even on same Unity build. What is the difference? Well, for starters Linux players are using OpenGL KSP version. And guess what - i have yet to crash in OpenGL KSP 0.24 (Win x64). Maybe the problem is in DirectX (or some dx shader) implementation? Or is it just the fact that OpenGL does not produce shadows under Windows therfor giving more ram (vram?) for in-game usage?

So, did anyone crashed under Win x64 while playing with OpenGL? Is it the origin of problems?

Is it enough of workaround for most of x64 crashes? (Also is there any way to get shadows working under OpenGL?)

I don't know did anybody else noticed, but - Linux x64 is rock solid, even on same Unity build. What is the difference?

One big difference is that under linux64 a "long" is 64 bit but in Win64 a "long" is 32 bit. Any bit of code that casts a pointer to a long and back again will work on Linux but not on Windows (when the pointer is above the 4Gig boundary)...

One big difference is that under linux64 a "long" is 64 bit but in Win64 a "long" is 32 bit. Any bit of code that casts a pointer to a long and back again will work on Linux but not on Windows (when the pointer is above the 4Gig boundary)...

That is really the real root of all the problems for the win64 problems?

That is really the real root of all the problems for the win64 problems?

Probably not all of them and probably not that directly obvious in the Mono/Unity code but that is a well known cause of bugs in programs ported from Win32 to Win64.

Probably not all of them and probably not that directly obvious in the Mono/Unity code but that is a well known cause of bugs in programs ported from Win32 to Win64.

It looks so incredible simple like someone just overlooked it.

It looks so incredible simple like someone just overlooked it.

In my experience, it's mostly pointer handling which can cause problems when converting from 32 bit to 64 bit. (That includes assumptions about storage size of a variable) I don't know if KSP uses a language that has pointers, but a pointer handling issue can be in unity as well causing all sorts of (crash) issues.

I had lots of troubles running the x64 build (in fact it was mostly crashing), BUT today I noticed that someone had already tested using "-force-opengl" command line switch to make the Windows version use OpenGL instead of DirectX. I've now played with x64 build for a couple of hours with zero issues noticed. (well, at least no more crashing...)

In my experience, it's mostly pointer handling which can cause problems when converting from 32 bit to 64 bit. (That includes assumptions about storage size of a variable) I don't know if KSP uses a language that has pointers, but a pointer handling issue can be in unity as well causing all sorts of (crash) issues.

I had lots of troubles running the x64 build (in fact it was mostly crashing), BUT today I noticed that someone had already tested using "-force-opengl" command line switch to make the Windows version use OpenGL instead of DirectX. I've now played with x64 build for a couple of hours with zero issues noticed. (well, at least no more crashing...)

Does that have any effect on the dreaded right-click issue?

• 2 months later...

When is an expected fix from Unity? Seriously...who wants to play it with the limitations of 32 bit? Who still uses 32-bit to game anyway? Isnt all the current surveying research showing a less than 10 percent player base for the gaming community on 32-bit? Ram constraints? I wouldn't have purchased this if I had known it was undeveloped in 64-bit considering what you can do with it. Maybe make an update on the Steam site that it's extremely unstable in 64-bit? sorry if it sounds ranty. I have really want to push it to its limits visually and it will crash even in 32-bit because of ram/page filing shortages even if you have tons of page filing space...

When is an expected fix from Unity? Seriously...who wants to play it with the limitations of 32 bit? Who still uses 32-bit to game anyway? Isnt all the current surveying research showing a less than 10 percent player base for the gaming community on 32-bit? Ram constraints? I wouldn't have purchased this if I had known it was undeveloped in 64-bit considering what you can do with it. Maybe make an update on the Steam site that it's extremely unstable in 64-bit? sorry if it sounds ranty. I have really want to push it to its limits visually and it will crash even in 32-bit because of ram/page filing shortages even if you have tons of page filing space...

Unity 4 will never have a stable Win64 client, that is just a fact you're going to have to live with. Unity 5 is currently out for preorder and has a) full DirectX11 support and B) a fully stable Win64 client & editor. When Unity 5 is available, we can expect Squad to evaluate it to be sure they can port KSP to it easy enough and that it does in fact do what they need it to. I would expect to see KSP ported to Unity 5 by update 0.92. If we're lucky, we could see it in 0.91, but that counts on Unity getting the job done in time.

Also, the 'limitations' of 32 bit only become a factor when you throw a bunch of mods on. I believe the stock game gives you 1.7GB of RAM space for mods (running 32 bit KSP on a 64 bit OS). There are no limitations of developing the game in 32 bit because the limitations 32 bit imposes do not affect the game stock or lightly modded. It only becomes an issue when you are a mod-hog, which a lot of us here on the forums are. THAT is why KSP 64 bit is such a big deal. 64 bit gives you access to as much RAM as your motherboard can physically handle (unless you have some $500 high grade gaming motherboard that supports something crazy like 64GB DDR4). Thats great news for people like me who have an install which clocks in at 5.5GB of RAM fully loaded.

BUG REPORT:

The ESC key is not pausing the game. Pressing it brings up the pause menu but the game continues running with my rocket thrusting away behind that menu. Have not verified it without mods (if you think I'm playing 64 bit stock then you're out of your mind).

Edited by Captain Sierra

10%? I don't know where you're getting those statistics from. They aren't anything near what I've seen.

I'm personally keeping my fingers crossed that it's fixed in Unity 5... and that they have a stable release ready soon.

Oh, and, Sierra? That's almost certainly a mod issue; nobody's reported that in stock. Perhaps one of the folks in the modded support forum might have heard of it?

BUG REPORT:

The ESC key is not pausing the game. Pressing it brings up the pause menu but the game continues running with my rocket thrusting away behind that menu. Have not verified it without mods (if you think I'm playing 64 bit stock then you're out of your mind).

I've had that bug in early versions (0.22 or 0.23, I believe), heavily modded 32-bit. Never managed to determine its source, though. Also, I've never encountered it in later (0.24 and later) versions.

• 4 months later...

[...]

Please read these rules before posting into this thread:

1) This thread is dedicated to bug reporting for Kerbal Space Program, version 0.25, x64 Windows EXE (KSP_x64.exe). Other versions (32-bit, 64-bit for Mac\Linux) should not be discussed here.

[...]

Noob question from Steam user of KSP 1.02.842 on 64-bit Win8.1 OS:

Is there a way to check whether I'm running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of KSP?

In \Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\ there is a file named 'KSP.EXE' (cf your reference to 'KSP_x64.exe') -- but this may not be a reliable indicator. Perhaps the Steam installation is different; I've already encountered, for instance, the situation where the game reports that key 'F1' is bound to 'TAKE_SCREENSHOT', yet the key that actually takes screenshots is not F1, it's F12 (because that's the default for Steam).

Noob question from Steam user of KSP 1.02.842 on 64-bit Win8.1 OS:

Is there a way to check whether I'm running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of KSP?

In \Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\ there is a file named 'KSP.EXE' (cf your reference to 'KSP_x64.exe') -- but this may not be a reliable indicator. Perhaps the Steam installation is different; I've already encountered, for instance, the situation where the game reports that key 'F1' is bound to 'TAKE_SCREENSHOT', yet the key that actually takes screenshots is not F1, it's F12 (because that's the default for Steam).

64-bit EXE was removed from the game prior to 1.0 release, via special patch. So don't worry, if it says "KSP.exe", then you run 32-bit version. (Besides, it shoud say "KSP.exe*32" in Task Manager).

They already removed the 64bit version for windows with 0.90. So unless you used the work intensive community workaround to create a working 64bit executable yourself you should be running the 32bit version. :P

And F1 also takes screenshots in the Steam version, you can find them in the installation folder. They're just not integrated into Steam.

64-bit EXE was removed from the game prior to 1.0 release, via special patch. So don't worry, if it says "KSP.exe", then you run 32-bit version. (Besides, it shoud say "KSP.exe*32" in Task Manager).
They already removed the 64bit version for windows with 0.90. So unless you used the work intensive community workaround to create a working 64bit executable yourself you should be running the 32bit version. :P

And F1 also takes screenshots in the Steam version, you can find them in the installation folder. They're just not integrated into Steam.

Many thanks, both. And bonus thanks to Harry about the screenshots thing: useful info! :)

There Win64bit version of KSP no longer exists. So yeah, you're running the 32bit version.

So I understand. Kind of makes it a tad tricky for a newbie like me who tries to follow the roolz, when the roolz are out of date.

AKA "Dear moderator, please close this unhelpful thread."