[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

Maybe show a message "NaN" instead of cost. Or a red message "entered text doesn't represent correct time, default to 15mins" under a box or something like this?

NaN cost I can do. Might also turn the text in the box red. I think either way I'll have to do it outside of the function that gets the cost and instead in the GUI code (with appropriate changes to the cost function). Currently it's all nicely tucked inside the cost function and the GUI is none the wiser about any errors since all it does is tell the cost function a string and is told a number.

Somewhat ironically you've provided a bunch of detail for a tiny thing that I actually knew about (but forgot to warn about since the source of the issue was something I changed like a month ago) (the ironic part is that the apparently serious issue mentioned earlier has not enough info).

Basically it comes down to two things:

1) KCT saves the last simulation time so you don't have to keep changing it every time you load your game (assuming you prefer half hour simulations as opposed to 15 minutes, or something like that)

2) Simulations were changed from being hour based, to being seconds based because you can now define the costs through a Formula and you can use any time you like [up to 1000 earth years] using a colon formatted time (like 1:42:13:12:32 for 1 year, 42 days, 13 hours, 12 minutes, and 32 seconds).

The end result: loading an old (hours based) save will set the time in seconds. So 0.25 used to be 15 minutes, but is now 250 milliseconds :D

For everyone: just set the simulation time to 15:00 if it says something like 0.25.

Glad that's all it comes down to. As for having a bunch of details -- better too much than too little, right? :)

I just encountered an error with KCT. When I started the game and loaded my save, I got the following popup:

ERROR! An error occurred while loading KCT data. Things will be seriously broken! Please report this error to the KCT forum thread and attach the log file. The game will be UNPLAYABLE in this state!

I noted that the KCT button didn't show up in the toolbar, and all alerts at Kerbal Alarm Clock were missing. I did not explore any further for fear of breaking my save.

I have no idea what could be causing this. The game worked earlier today, and I have not made any modifications to it since then. The game did crash once when I was last playing: I was dropped onto the desktop at the last stages of landing a vessel on Kerbin. At the time I restarted the game, loaded a save where the vessel was still above the atmosphere, and everything worked fine. I don't know if that's related to the current problem.

The output log is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zb33hcb3bael37/output_log.txt?dl=0. I didn't find the Debug Messages setting mentioned in the original post, though; is that advice obsolete or am I just being blind?

If you need any more information, please ask.

Just resumed a career since the last update. Selected the default. So far, unable to edit vessels from the Build list for the VAB. Clicking on the button does nothing and doesn't seem to generate a log entry. Logs uploading to here: http://1drv.ms/1OFPjdq

Update: All buttons stopped working after this. Force quit and restart seems to have solved the issue. I am highly modified (and so is my game), so it may have had nothing to do with KCT.

Edited by eightiesboi

I can't look at these right now, but in a few hours I can. The second issue I probably know what the cause is. Here's the fix: open up the save file (back it up first) and search for KCTVessel until you find the one in question and change EditorFacility from 0 to 1.

Edit1: @eightiesboi: Ah, so the code I put in place to prevent that issue did work. I forgot it takes a scene change to kick in, so if you had loaded up the game and right away went to edit, it would likely still have the issue. Glad it's working now.

@Ancylus, I'm about to take a look at your issue. Give me a bit.

Edit2: @Ancylus: Just update to 1.2, you're still on 1.1.8. The issue was actually caused by me trying to fix my server and KCT's update checker (which has been disabled in 1.2) grabbing some part of what was likely an error message and trying to read it as a Version. It probably would work fine now, and if you update to 1.2 won't be an issue at all :)

Edited by magico13

Will a KCT update from a totally unmodified version of KCT be smooth? I've read about some build point weirdness but not much else.

Should be mostly smooth. There are a couple places where there could be snags.

1) Make sure you pick a Preset, you'll want the Default one most likely.

2) If the tech tree is for some reason not being counted correctly, then your upgrade total will be off. Otherwise it'll probably go up by one (the starting points are 15+tech tree, rather than 14+tech tree like before)

3) Do not launch/edit do anything with any existing ships until AFTER a scene change. Just go back to the main menu, into an editor, or into the Tracking Station. KCT should update all the vessels properly.

I believe those are the only possible snags at the moment. Some calculations are slightly different, but it should be ok. There's also a chance that clearing out the inventory has some bugs with existing saves, but I can't tell (might be related to RealChutes? Might have just been a fluke).

All the bug reports so far that I've gotten enough info about have either been non-issues or temporary things that don't require a hotfix. Except maybe the tech tree thing. I need to get a bit more info about that still.

Thanks magico I hope I didn't make you repeat yourself. (hopefully that post will be useful to others). Everything went smooth. Just in case I made sure all my builds were complete and upgrade spent before I updated.

I did get the free update point.

Looooove the simulation time flexibility now. At first it caught me off guard and I was like "uhhh" and left it at default for a test flight. Sim ends before I get 1 foot off the ground. Haha I thought something broke until I realized it's in seconds.

To punish myself I went ahead and increased the time multiplier so I can have these crazy months long builds. Great job love this update and all the love you put into it. <3 Thank you

The simulation costs are totally definable now with formulas as well. Even added an option to decrease the costs of simulations as long as you do a bunch of them in the same editor (so load up the VAB, do a simulation and the next ones will cost less [or more, if you set it up that way], but if you leave then the costs reset). That feature isn't used in the default settings though. You could pretty easily set it up so that the first simulation costs a bunch of funds, but future ones are cheap and/or free :D

I like configurability... I have a problem... 90% of the things I add don't end up getting used, but when they do people do some really awesome stuff with them ;)

Hello, just looking for a little clarification. I read the changelog and searched the thread, but don't quite understand. In the new presets/settings window, what does "Upgrades From Tech Tree" specifically do/mean? Relating to that, the description for the UpFree preset says "Relies entirely on the Stock upgrade system rather than the KCT upgrade system". What is the Stock upgrade system and what is the KCT upgrade system? Do they relate to how you receive KCT upgrade points? Thanks!

The simulation costs are totally definable now with formulas as well. Even added an option to decrease the costs of simulations as long as you do a bunch of them in the same editor (so load up the VAB, do a simulation and the next ones will cost less [or more, if you set it up that way], but if you leave then the costs reset). That feature isn't used in the default settings though. You could pretty easily set it up so that the first simulation costs a bunch of funds, but future ones are cheap and/or free :D

Would this effectively double normal costs for the first sim, normal for #2, half cost for #4?

SimCostFormula = max([C]/50000 * min([PM]/[KM], 80) * ([S]/10 + 1) * ([A]/10 + 1) * ([L]^0.5) * 100, 500) / [COLOR=#ff0000]([s]/2)[/COLOR]
KerbinSimCostFormula = max([C]/50000 * ([L]^0.5) * 10, 100) [COLOR=#ff0000]/ ([s]/2)[/COLOR]

@Ancylus: Just update to 1.2, you're still on 1.1.8. The issue was actually caused by me trying to fix my server and KCT's update checker (which has been disabled in 1.2) grabbing some part of what was likely an error message and trying to read it as a Version. It probably would work fine now, and if you update to 1.2 won't be an issue at all :)

The game starts up fine after the update, and all the stuff in build queues and alarm clock appears to be restored, too. Thank you very much!

Hello, just looking for a little clarification. I read the changelog and searched the thread, but don't quite understand.

If you've played with KCT in the past then you likely know that you get an upgrade point every time you unlock a node on the tech tree. "Upgrades from Tech Tree" controls that. If it's disabled then unlocking tech nodes will not give you an upgrade point.

The Stock upgrade system is the building upgrades (the three tiers of buildings, each with their own limitations). With UpFree you never receive upgrade points and never have to spend any. All of KCT's build rates will be dependent on what level the buildings are. For instance, upgrading the VAB from the starting one to level 2 will speed up all of the build rates for VAB vessels. You can still check that in the upgrades window (accessible from the build list in the Space Center scene) but can't speed it up manually at all.

KCT's upgrade system, if it wasn't clear, is the upgrade points and spending them to increase build rates. UpFree handles upgrading the build rates without requiring the player to spend a single point. 7Days only has a single fixed rate and can't be upgraded either (through upgrade points or through building upgrades).

If you have any more questions, let me know! Hopefully that cleared some things up :)

Would this effectively double normal costs for the first sim, normal for #2, half cost for #4?

It should. I realize now that I'm not sure if I tested that feature, so please let me know whether it's working properly if you do try it out :)

The game starts up fine after the update, and all the stuff in build queues and alarm clock appears to be restored, too. Thank you very much!

Glad things are working properly again! I hope you like the update and let me know if you run into any other bugs :D

If you've played with KCT in the past then you likely know that you get an upgrade point every time you unlock a node on the tech tree. "Upgrades from Tech Tree" controls that. If it's disabled then unlocking tech nodes will not give you an upgrade point.

The Stock upgrade system is the building upgrades (the three tiers of buildings, each with their own limitations). With UpFree you never receive upgrade points and never have to spend any. All of KCT's build rates will be dependent on what level the buildings are. For instance, upgrading the VAB from the starting one to level 2 will speed up all of the build rates for VAB vessels. You can still check that in the upgrades window (accessible from the build list in the Space Center scene) but can't speed it up manually at all.

KCT's upgrade system, if it wasn't clear, is the upgrade points and spending them to increase build rates. UpFree handles upgrading the build rates without requiring the player to spend a single point. 7Days only has a single fixed rate and can't be upgraded either (through upgrade points or through building upgrades).

If you have any more questions, let me know! Hopefully that cleared some things up :)

Wow... I've been using this mod for a while, and until now I realize that I never actually knew where the new upgrade points came from. From unlocking a tech node.:blush: Now I finally notice the "Upgrade point added!" message in the R&D center when you unlock a tech node. (And I had read the getting started guide as well. NOW I see the sentence about getting a new upgrade point).

UpFree sounds like an interesting play style. I might try it!

One more question: why are there three numbers for "starting upgrade points"? (default is 15, 15, 45) Are they for career, science, and sandbox modes, respectively?

One more question: why are there three numbers for "starting upgrade points"? (default is 15, 15, 45) Are they for career, science, and sandbox modes, respectively?

That is exactly why there are three! Career, science, and sandbox mode starting upgrades, in case you want them to be different (for instance, in career you can buy things with funds or science, but in science mode you can't use funds, so maybe the Preset designer offsets that with a few more starting points).

For those of you designing Presets, you'll notice that you can choose which game modes they appear in. So you can make a Preset that's balanced only for Science mode, for instance.

Got this error in my log when using the clean inventory button in the VAB. No other relevant info in log just the exception when using the button. Heavy modded install on Linux Pparts, Realfuels, b9 Pwings, etc. Let me know if you want more info. I know a lone NRE isn't that much help, but that really was the relevant contextual info to the error. I had a fully built and saved rocket loaded up at the time, and wanted to see if there was a confirmation/info pane to tell me what I would get when trying to clear the inventory. On a former KCT save that went smoothly throught the update.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Utilities.PartIsProcedural (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_GUI.DrawEditorGUI (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

P.S. Not a big deal to me as I never even look in the inventory I just recover what I can and build payloads to complete a mission, and if I happen to reuse parts and happen to save time because of it well that's just a bonus. I always feel obliged to come try to post bug reports to help modders who give me so much for free. :) Hope that helps!

Edited by Svm420

I think that's the same error I ran into in my career save. I have a feeling procedural parts aren't working properly during the clear. Good news is that I don't think it breaks anything. There is actually a popup that tells you how much you'll get and let's you confirm your choice before clearing anything.

It works sometimes, so I won't make it a priority fix, but I'll try to look into it :)

Recently my KSP save file has been corrupted and I had to start a new game. upon doing that though, KCT seams to protest. here is the log file..

I still can't access the log file. It says I need to request permission (which I've done), so you'll likely need to change a sharing setting. As for the error that pops up, it's not always caused by KCT, in fact most of the time it's caused by another mod, and it always happens if you're using the 64 bit community hack (supposedly). So unfortunately I can't make any guesses as to why it's popping up.

Recently my KSP save file has been corrupted and I had to start a new game. upon doing that though, KCT seams to protest. here is the log file..

Looks like you're missing a config file for FAR. I'd suggest reinstalling that and it'll probably fix all the issues you're having.

Error:

XmlException: Document element did not appear. file:///E:/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins/PluginData/FerramAerospaceResearch/config.xml Line 1, position 1.
at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Xml.EntityResolvingXmlReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Xml.DTDValidatingReader.ReadContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Xml.DTDValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Mono.Xml.Schema.XsdValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.Xml.XmlReader xmlReader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KSP.IO.PluginConfiguration.load () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARDebugAndSettings.LoadConfigs (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARSettingsScenarioModule.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Well that formula for cheaper sims every time you come back to the editor didn't seem to make a difference.

It's working correctly for me. I set the KerbinSimCostFormula to 100* and each time I simulated then reverted to editor it went up in cost as expected. If it wasn't clear, KerbinSimCost handles the landed at launchpad/runway costs, while SimCost handles the orbital simulation costs. If you go to any scene other than the editor or flight, will reset back to 1.

huY0ly2.png

It's working correctly for me. I set the KerbinSimCostFormula to 100* and each time I simulated then reverted to editor it went up in cost as expected. If it wasn't clear, KerbinSimCost handles the landed at launchpad/runway costs, while SimCost handles the orbital simulation costs. If you go to any scene other than the editor or flight, will reset back to 1.

Lol it helps when you actual remember to change the preset you are using in game to the new one after editing it out of game :blush:. Once I switched to the right config it worked.