Do you call it soda or pop?

Sun

Soda or pop?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Soda or pop?

• Soda
    • Pop

Coal? We had to make do with carefully-polished sheep droppings!

--

If we're not careful, this could go on for some time... :D

(I was actually serious about the bread and dripping sandwiches, BTW; it's what happens when you're fed by people who grew up during the Great Depression. But nevermind...)

:D You could be right, but I'll try and restrain myself, there's something about reciting Monty Python sketches that's addictive

In truth I've never had bread and dripping sandwiches but know plenty of people that have, working class northern England towns tend to hold on to these things long past everyone else has forgotten.

In Hungary soda means carbonated water, and pop means music like Rihanna and Lady Gaga.

An interesting convergence on Arkansas vocabulary is that old people call every kind of sweet soft drink "Cola". Fanta is called "Yellow Cola". Probably because the first Western-style soft drink in Hungary was Cola.

Pretty much the same thing goes for Croatia, but nowdays "soda-voda" (carbonated water) is an archaic term from the times when it was made by waiters using those soda siphon bottles you can see in old movies. "Carbonated mineral water" is what we use instead for decades now for pure carbonated water, and actual names for Cola, Fanta, Sprite, etc.

Pop means that kind of music, or a Christian priest.

I don't think any old people here call other fizzy drinks "cola", but maybe it's because the ones that did already all died.

Some old people call carbonated mineral water "radenska", which is a brand of bottled carbonated mineral water that was very popular when it came out decades ago.

Gazirana pijaÄÂa (carbonated beverage) for softdrinks or just by the brand name. Carbonated water is either "mineralna" or Slatina/Radenska for two well-known producers.

Well I might as well write it down in native Croatian instead of English, too.

It's "gazirano piće"/"gazirani napitak" for things like Cola-Cola, Fanta, Sprite, 7UP, etc.

Carbonated water is "gazirana mineralna voda" or just short "gazirana mineralna" or, as I've said, "radenska" (mainly used by old people who lived most of their lives in SFRJ). Regular mineral water is "mineralna voda" or just "mineralna".

"Gazirana" comes from French "gaz" for gas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.