[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

3 minutes ago, Hellbrand said:

Hwy what's up with the Mk.2 Parts and fuselages. are we having to wait on those or will we not be seeing them any time soon?

The new ones?  It's planned, but compatibility for existing parts takes priority.  Most of the 1.0.5 stuff is done though, so I'll probably start on it soonish™.

3 minutes ago, sarbian said:

In "flight", on the pad with the SABRE.

So I may have accidentally committed a change that gives the SABRE S the stock gimbal module last night.  You probably accounted for this, but just want to be sure.  Can the result be replicated?  Does it work on the other engines?  It should be pretty obvious on the F119.

11 hours ago, blowfish said:

So the engine overhaul is basically done.  Here are some highlights of the changes:

• The Turbojet now has separate dry and wet modes
  • The medium jet pod has been scaled up so if fits nicely between the Wheezley and Goliath
  • All engines have stockalike thrust curves, and the squad jet balance config has been removed
  • Thrust has been adjusted on most jets to be more in line with stock
  • Various intake adjustments
  • KineTechAnimation is no longer a dependency.  I'm a little sad to see it go, but we were only using one module from it.
  • On that note, if you're updating from git, make sure to install B9AnimationModules.  It is a required dependency and several things will not work without it.

I've also discovered that the Firespitter VTOL module is broken.  Firespitter has pretty generous licensing terms, so if I can find a quick fix I might fork it in order to fix.  In the long run this would also allow getting rid of the Firespitter dependency.  But we'll see.

*** BE WARNED ***

Firespitter causes vessels in space to explode. I deleted the folder in the GameData folder and they now live to see another day. If you don't want to see your Armageddon Ship traveling to Ast. HSJ-227 to save the planet Kermin from utter destruction; blown to bits "Due to overheating":mad:. Then I suggest deleting Firespitter before you ever load any of your ships. :wink:

*** BE WARNED *** 

Running B9_Aerospace (R5-2-8) and Ferram (v0.15.5.3) on KSP x32 [1.0.5]  ([Steam] Client) using MacBookPro10,1 8 Gb Memory.

2 hours ago, blowfish said:

Hmm interesting.  Can anyone else confirm that the gimbals are/are not working?  They were very much broken when I tried them.

Just to make sure, am I correct in using the 'B9_Aerospace_Pack_R5-3-0-exp.zip' from here:

https://bitbucket.org/blowfishpro/b9-aerospace/downloads

Gimbals work fine for me, they do have the bug where you need to first activate the engines by staging, tho. Also, there seems to be an issue with the engines thrust. My F119 shows ingame max thrust ~2000kn @ Mach 3.6 (D30 is 25k). Which makes me wonder if I downloaded the wrong thing with outdated thrust curves...

5 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Just to make sure, am I correct in using the 'B9_Aerospace_Pack_R5-3-0-exp.zip' from here:

https://bitbucket.org/blowfishpro/b9-aerospace/downloads

Gimbals work fine for me, they do have the bug where you need to first activate the engines by staging, tho. Also, there seems to be an issue with the engines thrust. My F119 shows ingame max thrust ~2000kn @ Mach 3.6 (D30 is 25k). Which makes me wonder if I downloaded the wrong thing with outdated thrust curves...

5.3.0 was the latest release I actually packaged up.  The large thrust growth was semi intentional, based on realistic models (though it was probably an overestimate).  Latest git has more stockalike curves.

That's interesting about staging though.  I was likely doing all my testing through the right click menu.  Will have to test when I get home.

I see. In KSPs stock atmosphere the result was basically the wiplash effect tho, where a single engine developes 1000kn thrust on ground level and then explodes at mach 2/3. Not sure what's the right thing to do here, the whip usually feels a bit op and less realistic than e.g. the panther. Although, maybe real engines would do that just before melting, idk.^^

That said, my version also doesn't have an afterburner switch, that's probably going to change up some thing too. I definitly like the idea of the engines performance being as ridiculous as the real F119!

Yeah, the right klick thing was also not working for me. Interesting, considering in stock the issue is actually fixed.

Edited by Temeter

Okay, so it appears that KM_Gimbal is fine if the part is staged.  Sorry for freaking out about it.

Spoiler

@sarbian It looks like you try to account for the part not being staged in OnUpdate, but that also only fires once the part is staged.  You might want to do it in FixedUpdate(), or just do everything there rather than OnFixedUpdate()

I've done some experimenting with the cargo bays, and it appears that they're not compatible with the deploy limits due to various issues with ModuleAnimateGeneric.  I might write a custom module at some point but it's a low priority.

41 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

I have an issue with B9 sepratrons - they explode everytime I use them due overheat.

May be worth to look at it's heat generation?

Confirmed and fixed on Bitbucket.

I think there is some weirdness going on with the gimbal. In 1.0.4 the gimbal never used to work for me while nobody else was reporting a problem. Now in 1.0.5 I can confirm that it does work for me. So yeah blowfish it works.

23 minutes ago, Unholypens said:

So, is there a version that works for 1.0.5? or has there not been anything released?

Nothing released.  If you download the Bitbucket repository (linked in my sig), most things are updated though.  The only outstanding issue I'm aware of is the VTOLs being broken.

...and I spoke too soon again.  The firespitter VTOL module works fine, it just has to be triggered through action groups rather than the right click menu.  In that case, I believe there is nothing more required for 1.0.5 compatibility.  If no one reports any issues I'll try to release a new set of downloads some time in the next few days.

Hello there, I want to ask some questions:

1. Are the parts in the main folder and in legacy compatible with the 1.0.x aerodynamics?

2. Are the B9 wings no longer worked on? (They fitted the parts quite nicely though :()

3. How many % is the mod compatible or is it safe to use without Kraken-ing the saves?

That is all ;) 

Edited by Scientia1423

On 12/4/2015, 12:34:02, blowfish said:

Nothing released.  If you download the Bitbucket repository (linked in my sig), most things are updated though.  The only outstanding issue I'm aware of is the VTOLs being broken.

Ah, ok. I've been straying away from this mod until it's updated because if te fear of it not working. But now that i know it does, i can use it!

3 hours ago, Scientia1423 said:

1. Are the parts in the main folder and in legacy compatible with the 1.0.x aerodynamics?

Yes

2. Are the B9 wings no longer worked on? (They fitted the parts quite nicely though :()

The wings in the legacy folder will no longer be developed, due to B9 procedural wings being available.  Whether those will be developed any further isn't a question I can answer.

3. How many % is the mod compatible or is it safe to use without Kraken-ing the saves?

As far as I know now, everything is working.  Even before though, the risk of corrupting saves was pretty low - the worst that could happen would be that a part would not work as intended.

The wings in the legacy folder will no longer be developed, due to B9 procedural wings being available.

While procedural wings do offer significant degree of versatility, they still lack some advantages of custom wings, such as complex shapes, smaller partcount as well as generally being less wobble-happy.

Oh well, just my 2¢.

15 hours ago, blowfish said:

...and I spoke too soon again.  The firespitter VTOL module works fine, it just has to be triggered through action groups rather than the right click menu.  In that case, I believe there is nothing more required for 1.0.5 compatibility.  If no one reports any issues I'll try to release a new set of downloads some time in the next few days.

Awesome! :D

Gonna be nice to go back to good ol' B9.

9 hours ago, Rho-Mu 34 said:

While procedural wings do offer significant degree of versatility, they still lack some advantages of custom wings, such as complex shapes, smaller partcount as well as generally being less wobble-happy.

Oh well, just my 2¢.

I am sorry, but a lot of your arguments do not hold water here. B9 procedural wing are more versatile than any wing currently in existence. You can tweak basically anything about them. Complex shapes can be more easily attained because these wings are moldable. Your partcount argument I find really puzzling. The argument for procedural wings is exactly that you can get a big aircraft wing without having to build it form a multitude of smaller static wing parts. And for the last bit, when I use B9 pwings they are not anymore wobble-happy than static wings. If you have a problem with this I recommend you check-out Dynamic deflection and/or Atmospheric Piloting Aid by cryzyrndm. they help a ton on this front. I give you that you can't get round shapes with B9 easily but that is about it.

Anyway neither I nor blowfish are the people you have to speak to here if you want support for the static wings continued. Bac9 made that decision to move the parts to legacy and only he can undo it. At the moment there is no problem here anyway because the static wings were updated to 1.0.4 and since nothing has really changed for wings with 1.0.5 they are perfectly usable. Knock yourself out.

13 hours ago, blowfish said:

Yes

The wings in the legacy folder will no longer be developed, due to B9 procedural wings being available.  Whether those will be developed any further isn't a question I can answer.

As far as I know now, everything is working.  Even before though, the risk of corrupting saves was pretty low - the worst that could happen would be that a part would not work as intended.

Ok, thanks for the information! :D:) 

Btw, is it possible to creat a copy of the large 8x8 platform parts with a single fixed texture and no firespitter mesh switcher? I'm currently building carriers, and B9s big structural parts are absolutely perfect for them, but part welder doesn't support firespitter (results in lots of z fighting since it tries to apply all textures at once).

Edited by Temeter

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

Btw, is it possible to creat a copy of the large 8x8 platform parts with a single fixed texture and no firespitter mesh switcher? I'm currently building carriers, and B9s big structural parts are absolutely perfect for them, but part welder doesn't support firespitter (results in lots of z fighting since it tries to apply all textures at once).

This would be somewhat complicated, unfortunately.  All the variants are in the same model file, so there's no way to isolate just one without re-exporting the model.

37 minutes ago, blowfish said:

This would be somewhat complicated, unfortunately.  All the variants are in the same model file, so there's no way to isolate just one without re-exporting the model.

Ye, thought so when I tried playing around with a copied cfg. Thx anyway, gotta find another solution.