[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Well no, B9 still works fine in stock aero, just the stock craft files that aren't balanced for it, because it would take a lot of time getting one craft to work well in stock and FAR/NEAR and making a second set is cumbersome etc

Fuelled wings work fine in stock aero, too (well, not worse than anything else, I suppose...). I remember the problem with fuel in wings being of a different kind. It caused some crossfeed shenanigans with wing-mounted engines, but now that you're using Firespitter, this should not be that much of a problem (since the fuel load can be enabled or disabled as will).

Dunno if i missed it, but is it possible to get a hint about the expanding engine plumes? I want that for my stock engines, too but as for being clueless with modding i dont find the lines i have to refer to...:/

Hay whats the word on the new S3 cockpit....cant wait for that thing

Sorry IVAs take quite a lot of time to make, the workflow is really bad, you can't tell in unity/<3d app of choice> how something will work or look for a kerbal in-game, so it's a lot of moving something 5mm, re-loading KSP's database and checking again, and the HL cockpit uses 75%+ S2 assets, and the internal geometry isn't that good (imo) I want to do the S3 right, mostly unique assets and more cohesive internal geometry etc.

Hello

First of all thank you everybody for your previous support!

I have a few problems with the pack and I am not very sure if they are bugs to report or my building problems.

There is a very strange thing with symmetry. For example I have two wings attached to my airplane with symmetry and as you may guess they are certainly supposed to be perfectly identical on both sides. But the problem is that they are not. This becomes clearly visible with surface attached speed brakes and spoilers again with symmetry because when I raise them during test flights the wing surface is flickering through their bases for some reason and even more interesting this is only happening on one side. Even on the ground with no airspeed with wings securely fixed from any movement with struts one side is attached in place properly and the other one is not. This means that .... was like this already back in the editor before applying physics just it was hard to notice visually. Can anybody think of a reason for such strange behavior and what to do with it?

Another problem is probably related to the first one but I am not sure at all. Most of my fast going planes even if they have a low and wide shape tend to loose lateral control on the runway even from the smallest rudder inputs on high speeds. It looks like for some reason they have not enough speed for a positive liftoff but more then enough to keep weight off the wheels and when combined with some asymmetric things that are not actually supposed to be asymmetric that gives an effect of a very strong crosswind on a very wet runway or something else of that sort.

As I guess there is no wind and wet runways at all in the game currently?

Recently I have tried to build a vertical takeoff capable plane. I have managed to put the centre of vertical thrust exactly under the centre of mass and to make sure it will not normally move any further that a few inches with fuel consumption.

But when I try to fly this thing what happens is that it goes up good until maybe a couple of dozens of metres and then suddenly the nose starts to raise quickly and the plane flips over. Moving the centre of thrust backwards does not help it at all as near the ground the craft becomes really very nose heavy on controls and higher up it still flips backwards for some reason. Moving individual engines further apart and enabling their automatic throttle balance controls did not help either.

I have already blamed absolutely everything from the ground effect in aerodynamics to my flying techniques but the problem persists no matter what I do.

How do I know the cruising range of my new plane and the required amount of fuel on board?

Just planes with realistic amounts of fuel on board seem ridiculously heavy in the game and the jet engines seem to consume ridiculously small amounts of fuel to work.

Are there any struts including the invisible ones on the example crafts or I just do not see most of them?

Thank you!

Hey Chris, would it be possible to have two switches for internal lights? I mean one for the general lighting, and one to backlight all the switches and other stuff. I love that part in the ALCOR, gives more mood when I can have floodlights on in space to see what I am doing on the outside, and then just the instruments backlit on the inside.

There is a very strange thing with symmetry. For example I have two wings attached to my airplane with symmetry and as you may guess they are certainly supposed to be perfectly identical on both sides. But the problem is that they are not. This becomes clearly visible with surface attached speed brakes and spoilers again with symmetry because when I raise them during test flights the wing surface is flickering through their bases for some reason and even more interesting this is only happening on one side. Even on the ground with no airspeed with wings securely fixed from any movement with struts one side is attached in place properly and the other one is not. This means that .... was like this already back in the editor before applying physics just it was hard to notice visually. Can anybody think of a reason for such strange behavior and what to do with it?

Mirrored surface connections are not identical on both sides, please see KSP Bug #290.

Another problem is probably related to the first one but I am not sure at all. Most of my fast going planes even if they have a low and wide shape tend to loose lateral control on the runway even from the smallest rudder inputs on high speeds. It looks like for some reason they have not enough speed for a positive liftoff but more then enough to keep weight off the wheels and when combined with some asymmetric things that are not actually supposed to be asymmetric that gives an effect of a very strong crosswind on a very wet runway or something else of that sort.

As I guess there is no wind and wet runways at all in the game currently?

Assuming you have a tricycle landing gear, move it closer to CoM. Take a look at the stock planes, most of them will wheelie if you reverse with the landing gear motors and then brake.

Also, landing gears are simple parts, they are attached with a single surface attach joint (the weakest type of joint in KSP) and are essentially a long lever, so you will need to strut them. Look at the stock crafs carefully. This cannot be resolved by anyone except Squad.

Recently I have tried to build a vertical takeoff capable plane. I have managed to put the centre of vertical thrust exactly under the centre of mass and to make sure it will not normally move any further that a few inches with fuel consumption.

But when I try to fly this thing what happens is that it goes up good until maybe a couple of dozens of metres and then suddenly the nose starts to raise quickly and the plane flips over. Moving the centre of thrust backwards does not help it at all as near the ground the craft becomes really very nose heavy on controls and higher up it still flips backwards for some reason. Moving individual engines further apart and enabling their automatic throttle balance controls did not help either.

I have already blamed absolutely everything from the ground effect in aerodynamics to my flying techniques but the problem persists no matter what I do.

That's normal - the center of lift must be behind the center of mass, so VTOLs nose down when hovering and losing altitude, and up when hovering and gaining. This also happens in real life, because its dictated by the necessity of a stable flight envelope.

You could align the CoL and CoD perfectly with the CoM, but then your craft would be utterly unstable. That's why we made the R1A Air-powered RCS ports - there's a reason the Harrier has something like them. Its also why they tend to hover up/down vertically a lot slower than helicopters.

How do I know the cruising range of my new plane and the required amount of fuel on board?

Just planes with realistic amounts of fuel on board seem ridiculously heavy in the game and the jet engines seem to consume ridiculously small amounts of fuel to work.

Real planes aren't generally filled with fuel like a soup can, that's why there's an option to leave parts empty.

To see how much time you have remaining, the best option is to use Alternate Resource Panel.

Are there any struts including the invisible ones on the example crafts or I just do not see most of them?

Lots, plus more hidden inside the parts themselves.

Deadly Reentry support file is up on Curse/BitBucket.

Would you mind not uploading it to the curseforge page? As most mod managers see it as an update and replace B9 with it. And thanks for the awesome mod, the only thing missing is a suiting command module worthy of the gigantic ships.

Edited by kafuka

Could you guys not upload fixes to the curseforge page? As most mod managers see it as an update and replace B9 with it.

Wait, you're complaining that some mod manager keeps B9 up to date? Isn't that what it's meant to do? And can't you turn it off if you want to keep an older version?

the only thing missing is a suiting command module worthy of the gigantic ships.

In the works.

Wait, you're complaining that some mod manager keeps B9 up to date? Isn't that what it's meant to do? And can't you turn it off if you want to keep an older version?

I think he means hotfixes, such as just a .dll.

Like, if you guys want to upload a hotfix for B9, and upload a hotfixed .dll to curse, it will replace the whole mod with that .dll, so people who didn't already have B9 can no longer download it.

I think that's what he meant. :)

Like, if you guys want to upload a hotfix for B9, and upload a hotfixed .dll to curse, it will replace the whole mod with that .dll, so people who didn't already have B9 can no longer download it.

Oh, that makes more sense.

Thanks, that's exactly what I mean.

Not our fault the mod managers aren't written right

Well, seeing as that file names are arbitrary, it's quite hard for a mod manager to differentiate between a hotfix and an update.

In the works.

\o/

Apologies if this has been asked before, but seeing as B9 ships with (and is dependent on) a large amount of plugins, could someone tell me what KineTech, Virgin Kalactic and ResGen do? I know about FS, JSI, SmokeScreen etc but not those. VK I think just handles the nodes on the HX parts, right?

EDIT: After some research of my own, it appears ResGen handles the intake for the B9CompressedAir, correct? And KineTech does... something, I can't code.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Apologies if this has been asked before, but seeing as B9 ships with (and is dependent on) a large amount of plugins, could someone tell me what KineTech, Virgin Kalactic and ResGen do? I know about FS, JSI, SmokeScreen etc but not those. VK I think just handles the nodes on the HX parts, right?

EDIT: After some research of my own, it appears ResGen handles the intake for the B9CompressedAir, correct? And KineTech does... something, I can't code.

The devs listed them all for me and what they do a few pages back.

EDIT: that might have been in the pre-release thread. I'm looking.

EDIT2: Nope, this thread. Starts with post #118

Edited by Alshain