[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Could you add .craft files for those ships in your promo picture? I see they're using SPP and KW, but I have both of those. They shouldn't be lumped in with "pure" B9 craft files, but would be nice to have.

Nope, most of the parts in the pack already follow 0.5m/1m/2m/3m/4m/5m/6m... length. Maybe you are comparing them with parts from stock or other mod packs that actually have incorrect length but pretend to have even metric length? I can't even remember anything that does not save for very special structural part from HX sets that allows you to equalize ship width to 8m when used in a pair around a structural hub.

I am comparing parts in b9 to other parts in b9. particularly the length of thehx1, hx2 and hx4 when compared to their width. there doesn't seem to by any sane ratio between these two values. I said "one" in quotation marks since the part naming in the hx series seemed to be based around how many hx1 cross sections fir into a particular part's cross section.

here is an example of why these lengths are odd and why he adapter can't fix everything:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3zbdqxeyw7o7zo/stairstep.png?dl=0

Edited by klikkolee

Theres a Bug In the Strugatsky,Once I exit,it doesnt let me exit through the ladder door,as I have to exit through the cargo bay.

Not a bug, KSP always defaults you to the first airlock on a part, which is the one on the roof in this case, if you want to use a specific airlock use the context menu on the airlock, hover the door you want to use, left click when it says "crew hatch" and pick the kerbal you want to EVA.

I've been seeing a lot of incredible motherships and carriers coming out of this pack, but it always looks a little funny to me to see them daisy chain adapters and then fit one of the tiny(in comparison) little command pods at the nose. Are their any plans to (or mods that already have) implement a large bridge-style mothership command pod? If not no worries, the pack is glorious and I'm far from wanting to complain. Thanks for your work!

I am comparing parts in b9 to other parts in b9. particularly the length of thehx1, hx2 and hx4 when compared to their width. there doesn't seem to by any sane ratio between these two values. I said "one" in quotation marks since the part naming in the hx series seemed to be based around how many hx1 cross sections fir into a particular part's cross section.

There is an adapter plate that converts between the two: HX1 "structural nodes" are cubic (like width of HX1), slap two of those adapter plates on opposite sites and it has the same format as a HX1 tank/hangar

I really think the 3/4/6 Structural Hub Blocks need to be able to contain fuel or something, right now their large useless weights that I will use only as a last resort its more beneficial to just stick a useful module to the side and glue it on with struts then use the hub.

The Reactors look really cool but sadly their basically pointless; Whether you have reactors or not you absolutely have to have Capacitor modules (and even the small ones hold such absurd amounts of electricity) you could burn thru the ships fuel 5x over on just a single capacitor even with multiple fusion engines. The large capacitor holds 147 Million EC, that's enough to fire a Fusion Engine in 2ndary mode for 9400 seconds/156 Minutes. It's doubtful your going to refuel a ship the size of these even once let alone 5 times.

There is an adapter plate that converts between the two: HX1 "structural nodes" are cubic (like width of HX1), slap two of those adapter plates on opposite sites and it has the same format as a HX1 tank/hangar

that won't work for all circumstances. the adapter makes a module a little bit longer. I need the "universal" (which I think has a name that doesn't reflect it) to be a little bit shorter or a lot longer check the link I just added to my post.

Edited by klikkolee

With the last release (version 5.2) the airacraft can not take off form the runway... but with version 5.0 it can.

Someone mentioned deleting the MFT-RF file in the B9 folder, I had the same problem and i did that and it worked for me.

{EDIT}

Without that file one of my planes weights in about 13 tons, with that file it shoves the weight up to 33 ish tons so its adding a Kraken ton of weight (Kraken ton being 20 ish tons i guess) to the crafts with B9 fuel tanks (i think its just b9 stuff cause my stock crafts dont have that issue)

I'll continue to experiment and see if i can get stuff to work with the file.

Edited by Grease1991

We don't have any 1.25m cockpits, D12 has some variants but they don't have IVAs, problem is that you can't just scale the M27 to 1.25m and call it a day, the old IVA doesn't fit inside the smaller part, and a new IVA would be pretty tiny inside it, unless you do it like D12 and basically just chop of the front glass cage, and remove the lower node etc, that could work somewhat but it's still a cut and shut job, it feels lazy. Tav and bac9 have no real interest in 1.25m planes, and I imagine even less interest in 1.25m rovers, as said it's a plane parts pack, + large HX parts you can store your planes in etc.

It might happen at some point but I got the S3, Mk5 and HX cockpits to overhaul/make and make IVAs for already. Making a new rover focused cockpit doesn't feel that high priority.

Very sad to read this.

I'm not interested at all in huge ships of fantasy (HX) or space-cargo SSTO aircraft ( HL 3.75m or 2.5m families ).

Where my passion lies is building smaller slim space-planes, fighter jets or Apache style helicopters/VTOLs, and the stock cockpits look sooooo bad when matched with B9 parts. I also much prefer the simplicity and agility of smaller planes in general.

I don't think I am alone either in feeling that the big craft are to clunky or unwieldy, and that is exceptionally strange that a mod that has hundred parts to make your aircraft look like a fighter-jet actually doesn't have a single matching cockpit!

Even if you don't have time to do IVA until next year I would love to see your take on remaking the 1.25m cockpit exteriors, nothing fancy or moving parts needed, just a bit more matching and fresh textures/3D models and aggressive fighter-jet style you already got going!

Small jets are cool and all, but they have almost no utility, B9 lets you build spaceplanes that can be used to save funds in career by delivering payloads to orbit in a re-usable fashion.a 1.25m cargo bay is quiet pointless, could only fit a 0.65m payload.

Mk2 makes pretty nice looking fighter jets imo, Halderman stock craft proves that I think.

Mk2 makes pretty nice looking fighter jets imo, Halderman stock craft proves that I think.

Yes, that's what I'm using in this pack.

Unfortunately it's no good if you want to build anything looking like any real fighter jets since no real fighter jet I found has twin pilot side-by-side seating :(

From the first jetplanes up until today all fighters basically had single pilot, or two pilots inline. Twin pilots side-by-side seated is for civilian or bigger aircraft.

Edit: If your only purpose of an aircraft is to carry payload to orbit then sure, you want bigger stuff. But I build and fly simply for the joy of flying and replicating real aircraft, and play around with aerodynamics :)

Edited by Zerp

Yes, that's what I'm using in this pack.

Unfortunately it's no good if you want to build anything looking like any real fighter jets since no real fighter jet I found has twin pilot side-by-side seating :(

From the first jetplanes up until today all fighters basically had single pilot, or two pilots inline. Twin pilots side-by-side seated is for civilian or bigger aircraft.

Well, if you count strike aircraft as fighters, there's the F-111 Aardvark and A-6 Intruder, both having side-by-side seating.

The Mk2 is inline seating.

The width of the Mk2 parts isn't. And the one going into stock is side by side IIRC.

The point was you want small cross section and single pilot for almost all real fighters.

Great work with the patches. I'm definitely looking forward to a Ramjet / Scramjet engine. I agree right now that non-RAPIER / SABRE engines are pretty nerfed and right now it's really hard to make an efficient SSTO without using one of those engines.

So I was just playing around testing the Fusion Engines and honestly I'm confused at what makes them overheat. You could make a 2x2 cluster and the top left one and bottom right one will overheat but not the opposites.

XO

OX

X= Overheat.

OR You could do this...

tezzM60.png

And 2 engines touching each other will overheat, but 2 other engines touching each other won't overheat, despite having the exact same mount pattern and attached to the exact same part.

While I agree with Zerp and would love to see more plane-making parts (rather than Giant! Huge! Spaceplane! parts), "From the first jetplanes up until today..."--really?

f111bjuly1968c.jpg

Note that that's *not* the USAF's tac-bomber 'Vark, but the Navy fighter version.

Douglas+F3D-2+%28F-10%29+Skyknight.JPG

Douglas F3D (F-10) Skyknight.

For my last few career game play throughs I have ended them wondering why I never went through a stage where a Mk2 spaceplane with a cargo bay was useful. I just now realised it is because the majority of Mk2 parts come at supersonic flight in the techtree but the Mk2 cargobays are at high altitude flight which also happens to be when the bulk of the S2 parts including the S2 cargobays get unlocked. So in effect, the Mk2 cargobays get superseded at the very moment they get unlocked. Just a suggestion, but it seems a bit odd to me. I have edited the required tech on the Mk2 cargo bays for myself this time.

Absolutely loving all of B9 R5... thanks a lot.

Su-32/34:

su34_fullback.jpg

Plenty of side-by-side cockpits in modern fast mover aircraft, as demonstrated by now.

Hi guys. Another nitpick: IMO the landing gear wheel behavior is not very convincing.

You can basically do 360 degree spins around your vertical axis on the runway. It happens mostly at low speeds. For instance when i touched down for landing, and i slowed down to 5 m/s or so, i can do this! Although it needs a lot of control force. Even if i don't do this and just apply full brakes, the craft starts sliding sideways and slides and slides. Takes very long to stop. I expect it to roll over and explode. Or at least stop very rapidly.