[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Hi guys. Another nitpick: IMO the landing gear wheel behavior is not very convincing.

You can basically do 360 degree spins around your vertical axis on the runway. It happens mostly at low speeds. For instance when i touched down for landing, and i slowed down to 5 m/s or so, i can do this! Although it needs a lot of control force. Even if i don't do this and just apply full brakes, the craft starts sliding sideways and slides and slides. Takes very long to stop. I expect it to roll over and explode. Or at least stop very rapidly.

Delete the out of date and broken "fix" for the B9 gear which pre-dates B9 R5.0. It doesn't fix anything any more, instead it breaks the B9 gear's friction. It's a ModuleManager cfg patch file, often named something like "B9 Gear Fix.cfg", usually originating from the community B9 4.x fixes, or copied from a forum post. It can be anywhere inside GameData.

Hi guys. Another nitpick: IMO the landing gear wheel behavior is not very convincing.

You can basically do 360 degree spins around your vertical axis on the runway. It happens mostly at low speeds. For instance when i touched down for landing, and i slowed down to 5 m/s or so, i can do this! Although it needs a lot of control force. Even if i don't do this and just apply full brakes, the craft starts sliding sideways and slides and slides. Takes very long to stop. I expect it to roll over and explode. Or at least stop very rapidly.

They're more slidey in 5.2, but do check for a fix.

At this point, I'm washing my hands of it. I had it to a point where it had believable grip at small amounts of sideslip in 5.0, people said it was too tight, now I fixed it so you can do sideways landings without flipping like real planes, and people complain its too slidey.

Lets just lay out the law here:

Unity wheels are broken. Force while sliding increases linearly with slip speed, while in real life it decreases.

You can have it one way or the other - accurate at low sideslip speeds, or accurate at high sideslip speeds. Or you could have it wrong at both.

I'll have ba9 make a poll.

besides being probably overpowered.. would there be any problem if i copy the sabre configs over to the vtol engines to get sabre vtols?

Not really a problem, actually.

If you scale mass/thrust by, say, *0.5, you should be roughly there - the Vx engine enclosures are surprisingly small.

Give me a few minutes and I'll bash together an MM patch files that creates an engine like that :)

edit: a fun 10 minutes edit.

Totally unsupported, but does work and is balanced, roughly speaking.

Had to disable yaw gimbal, even then the FX will probably clip in vacuum - tweaking those curves takes an hour, have fun.

Edited by Taverius

Did you attach stuff to all nodes? FAR penalizes unused nodes, it sees it as a flat front/rear surface that causes a lot of drag.

It also does a short raycast to see if the node is not directly attached but not covered anyway, so its still a bug :D

Not really a problem, actually.

If you scale mass/thrust by, say, *0.5, you should be roughly there - the Vx engine enclosures are surprisingly small.

Give me a few minutes and I'll bash together an MM patch files that creates an engine like that :)

edit: a fun 10 minutes edit.

Totally unsupported, but does work and is balanced, roughly speaking.

Had to disable yaw gimbal, even then the FX will probably clip in vacuum - tweaking those curves takes an hour, have fun.

Loving this Saber VTOL setting. Was what i need, because i was used to have that old VTOL setting where my VTOL SSTO could get near orbit speed.

Now it is back!

:)

I don't know weather its FAR or B9 but I'm not having problems with the stock parts I am using the HW21 wings to try and lift a 265t craft at over 200 ms and I'm having problems I emptied all the new tanks etc.

And I rebuilt this based off a craft that worked so I'm confused were the HW wings nerfed or something because the lift values are missing so I can't actually tell.

Ok I hear you guys, a lot of requests for a 1m cockpit, but I'm pretty busy atm with a long list of tasks I'd rather do first, but I realized the Mk2 cockpit is pretty much a 1m cockpit with a Mk2 rear end, took me less than 10mins to make the rear round and adjust the rest of the mesh to fit that somewhat:

UOPnWBwl.png

It's using all mk2 assets so it adds almost nothing to the game's RAM use (I tried to get fancy and use MODEL{} to give it it's own folder and point at the Mk2 assets but it's fighting me, so I resorted to putting the files into the Mk2 folder) I spent literally 90%+ of my time making this part on trying to get that MODEL{} part to work...

Just extract:https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1q1g07t936a6t9/b9m1v2.rar?dl=0 into GameData to install.

The .cfg is somewhere in between the B9 Mk2 and stock inline cockpit (price, mass, tech tree etc) , I didn't spend much time on it, I've tried it out, and it works:

BOkjTAyl.png

But consider this one unofficial/placeholder for now, which is why I'm not making it part of the B9 pack proper, we got higher standards than cut-and-shut jobs, later after I've made the S3 cockpit, HX cockpit, Mk5 cockpit and I have some spare time I can make a bespoke 1.25m cockpit.

Edited by K3|Chris

Did you see D12 Aerotech? Because it has nearly identical part. :) In general, check out D12. It has a number of parts like 1m cargobay, a nifty escape capsule, a B52-style engine, turboprop engine, intakes, helicopter rotors and a lot of cockpits. B9 could really use some of that. It also has some interesting wing shapes (most notably, smaller wings than available in B9).

Ok I hear you guys, a lot of requests for a 1m cockpit, but I'm pretty busy atm with a long list of tasks I'd rather do first, but I realized the Mk2 cockpit is pretty much a 1m cockpit with a Mk2 rear end, took me less than 10mins to make the rear round and adjust the rest of the mesh to fit that somewhat:

http://i.imgur.com/UOPnWBwl.png

It's using all mk2 assets so it adds almost nothing to the game's RAM use (I tried to get fancy and use MODEL{} to give it it's own folder and point at the Mk2 assets but it's fighting me, so I resorted to putting the files into the Mk2 folder) I spent literally 90%+ of my time making this part on trying to get that MODEL{} part to work...

Just extract:https://www.dropbox.com/s/sypcxbab0au5dhy/B9Mk1.rar?dl=0 into GameData to install.

The .cfg is somewhere in between the B9 Mk2 and stock inline cockpit (price, mass, tech tree etc) , I didn't spend much time on it, I've tried it out, and it works:

http://i.imgur.com/BOkjTAyl.png

But consider this one unofficial/placeholder for now, which is why I'm not making it part of the B9 pack proper, we got higher standards than cut-and-shut jobs, later after I've made the S3 cockpit, HX cockpit, Mk5 cockpit and I have some spare time I can make a bespoke 1.25m cockpit.

Having a problem with the new mk1 cockpit, it's also replacing the mk2 cockpit :confused:

DUK5H23.jpg

You did something wrong, they have different model filenames and their .cfgs point at them separately.

Edit: no never mind, now that happens to me as well *sigh* squad what's wrong with your MODEL{} system?

Delete those files (mk1model.mu, mk1part.cfg) and use these: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1q1g07t936a6t9/b9m1v2.rar?dl=0

Edited by K3|Chris

Yeah look above, SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD :mad:

Mk2 having mesh = model.mu and Mk1 having mesh = mk1model.mu somehow doesn't work and both ended up with mk1's mesh, then I tried MODEL{} again and again doesn't work, something is seriously wrong with MODEL{}

Always fun spending most of your day bashing your skull against the brick wall of buggy undocumented features.

Delete the out of date and broken "fix" for the B9 gear which pre-dates B9 R5.0. It doesn't fix anything any more, instead it breaks the B9 gear's friction. It's a ModuleManager cfg patch file, often named something like "B9 Gear Fix.cfg", usually originating from the community B9 4.x fixes, or copied from a forum post. It can be anywhere inside GameData.

D'oh. Thank you. This was it. I had these old configs files somewhere where i forgot about them. The wheels actually work well now :)

Yeah look above, SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD :mad:

Mk2 having mesh = model.mu and Mk1 having mesh = mk1model.mu somehow doesn't work and both ended up with mk1's mesh, then I tried MODEL{} again and again doesn't work, something is seriously wrong with MODEL{}

Always fun spending most of your day bashing your skull against the brick wall of buggy undocumented features.

The D12 B9 Expansion uses MODEL{}. I think you need to use dummy textures. Prop config files

Remove the B9 config file in tweakscale, should work fine then.

I've tried this but it doesn't seem to work. 1.41 and a b9 prerelease work fine together, for some odd reason... but not anything from 5.0 on with either 1.41 or 1.43. It's a tweakables issue right? Firespitter.dll/Tweakscale cross compatibility?