[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

I really like the parts (wish they didn't mess up SXT as much...). The Mainsail doesn't look right, though. The original model lacks the turbopump exhaust pipe, so it's likely a closed cycle engine (keep that in mind while doing the Skipper, too). I'd appreciate if you kept it that way, for consistency. Poodle looks good enough.

Poodle - looks too... simple. Needs moar pipes and rings and thingamubobs and doohickeys. Don't turn it into another KW SPS, pls no... Also, mind that square thrust plate doesn't look odd on the circular ends.

Mainsail - looks a bit wimpy. Compare it to blackheart's retexture - that one looks beefy and powerful. Honestly, I think it'd be fine if you just removed the tankbutt, added proper gimbal. Make it chunky and I'll be happy.

My two cents, of course - take them or leave them :)

damn i want these but won't it conflict with the stockalike parts i have since they share textures?

Unfortunately, any mod using the stock models and/or textures won't (probably) work with this mod.

I'm having some texture problems with the new mono prop tanks and a couple of the 2.5 meter tanks. There's nothing in the log to indicate any problems. http://i.imgur.com/KzINYaG.png

Try Going to the Space Center screen, use ALT+F11 and reload the database, everything should work then. (MM probably isn't changing the stock CFG's in your case, causing the models to use the stand-in texture files.)

I think the attachment node of the Mk1 Cockpit is too "deep" in the model. Some parts aren't looking good becouse of this(example: MK1 Fuelsalage).

EDIT: Maybe the the Mk1 Fuelsalage causes my problem.

Yeah the mk1 fuel tank is a bit too long and intersects with other parts at the moment.

Try Going to the Space Center screen, use ALT+F11 and reload the database, everything should work then. (MM probably isn't changing the stock CFG's in your case, causing the models to use the stand-in texture files.)

I may or may not have forgotten to use the new MM config. On the upside, your style has grown on me quite a bit. Amazing what happens if you actually play with something for a bit before judging it. Are you planning on doing a new IVA for the MkI cockpit to match the different window shape? They're close enough to not bother me, and I know IVAs are really irritating to do from Lack, so if not, fine. Good work!

Is this compatible with FAR/NEAR?

Also: A few requests for after you finish the stock parts:

RLA Venalike

(Redone RLA Stockalike parts to your style)

Kerbal Ven's Parts Expansion

(Redone KSPX Parts to your style)

Ven's Home Grown Rockets

(HGR Parts redone)

Edited by GregroxMun

I actually quite like the Mainsail. The original idea of the Mainsail was "big hungry inefficient engine" and you hit that to the T. Only thing is maybe the exhaust pipe should be a bit narrower? Actually....in fact, it looks perfect for a "earlier than all other engines" role--if I were you I'd release it separately as the LV-T15 or something. Looks very like the Redstone engine etc.

(HGR Parts redone)

I started working on something like that quite a while back.

cg6Iz1t.png

Seeing this I might pick it up again. Though my main goal is to expand the assortment of 1.875m parts, not rework all of the HGR parts, just the ones that look too much like early 60s rocketry for my taste.

Enough offtopic.

I really love the new 2.5m tanks, especially the orange one. That thing was an eyesore before. The new Mk 1 cockpit is great too, though it's a bit sad, that it doesnt fit the IVA.

Eagerly awaiting the 2.5m engines :)

I'm a little conflicted on the mainsail model. Originally I would have liked to see it resemble the F-1 Engine of the Saturn V, but now that the kerbodyne KR-2L is available, I think that'd be a good analog.
I actually quite like the Mainsail. The original idea of the Mainsail was "big hungry inefficient engine" and you hit that to the T. Only thing is maybe the exhaust pipe should be a bit narrower? Actually....in fact, it looks perfect for a "earlier than all other engines" role--if I were you I'd release it separately as the LV-T15 or something. Looks very like the Redstone engine etc.

I'm trying to base the Mainsail on the F-1B:

3bTuBGg.png?1eande-f1bchart-640x526.jpg

The exhaust pipe still needs a bit more work, but the model is getting close to finished now.

I may or may not have forgotten to use the new MM config. On the upside, your style has grown on me quite a bit. Amazing what happens if you actually play with something for a bit before judging it. Are you planning on doing a new IVA for the MkI cockpit to match the different window shape? They're close enough to not bother me, and I know IVAs are really irritating to do from Lack, so if not, fine. Good work!

I don't intend to redo the MK1's cockpit, or at least at the moment. Though I found a really nice modified interior on the forums that used RPM and some of the ALCOR instruments. It looked amazing, but I forgot to bookmark it.

Is this compatible with FAR/NEAR?

Also: A few requests for after you finish the stock parts:

RLA Venalike

(Redone RLA Stockalike parts to your style)

Kerbal Ven's Parts Expansion

(Redone KSPX Parts to your style)

Ven's Home Grown Rockets

(HGR Parts redone)

The new parts either use the same CFG's or work off of them. So FAR or NEAR should have no more problems than they do with the stock game.

As to the other modpacks:

I plan to add a few parts (or sets of parts) that are in those packs (not including HGR, because I've never used it)

• .625m tanks
  • an tank in between the 2.5m 32 and 64 tanks.
  • a 2.5m NERVA (two engine cluster)
  • If anyone wants me to: adding radial LF/LFO tanks
  • A .625 version of the Poodle, that would be a mini-NTR, and would constantly generate electricity.

ust the ones that look too much like early 60s rocketry for my taste.

I think they should look like early 60s rocketry. They're pretty early in the tech tree after all.

Anyway I really would like to see a range of 1.875m parts done, they're a great range for Soyuz and Gemini spaceships.

I'm really digging the new mainsail model. You've done an incredible job of breathing new life into the stock parts.

At this point I'm curious what the overall scope of your project is, are you planning on doing a full revamp? Have you considered also revamping some of the IVA's?

If you plan on revamping the various stack adapters and couplers, I'd propose going for a more skeletal look similar to Nertea's Near Future Construction pack.

This should be incorporated into 0.90.0. These parts need a revamp. You hear me SQUAD! Treat this man like Porkjet!

Fixed that for you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really digging the new mainsail model. You've done an incredible job of breathing new life into the stock parts.

At this point I'm curious what the overall scope of your project is, are you planning on doing a full revamp? Have you considered also revamping some of the IVA's?

If you plan on revamping the various stack adapters and couplers, I'd propose going for a more skeletal look similar to Nertea's Near Future Construction pack.

Well that wouldn't really be keeping the stock design would it?

Well that wouldn't really be keeping the stock design would it?
It's simply a proposal. I believe that my idea isn't unreasonable since a few of the revamped parts stray from the stock design already. In addition, the stock adapters have the same black hole ends as the fuel tanks, which means they don't look good with the new butt-less engines. For the adapters to blend with the new parts they will either need to have tank ends or a skeletal look, and I think the latter is the better option. Or maybe there's a third option I'm not considering... something like the KS-25x4 but minus the engines?

Ven: The Pyrios F-1B has a much larger area ratio than what you modeled; I believe it has the same 1:16 area ratio of the F-1/F-1A. For that size turbopump, cumbustion chamber/nozzle throat, and exhaust, it should have a bigger nozzle exit IMO. That was why I immediately thought of very old engines, since they had quite low area ratios (the X-1's XLR11 was underexpanded *at sea level* for example).

Yeah, this mod overwrites the stock textures and models completely (at least in the folders besides SPP) so other mods that use the old ones will probably have problems because those old items are gone, replaced with the new stuff in this mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.