[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

This is all very impressive. You've come a long way since the open part mod.

One important question. Are you using the exact same colliders for all these models? This is important if you want to replace existing parts without breaking anything.

He's replacing the models entirely, but the node positions are the same. Colliders are generally the same save for a few minor changes (like on the wings) but I haven't noticed any issues using these over the original stock ones.

Once again, I'm blown away by how good the T45 looks! I will say that I don't think that the engines need thrust plates, but it might be nice to have some sort of cover for the bottom of the fuel tanks, maybe something that looks like the flat adapters. That would just be to cover up the bottom of the fuel tanks (especially that big black circle in the middle where the fuel lines connect) and make that particular linkage look a bit sturdier. We don't want pipes breaking and fuel going everywhere, now do we? :wink:

Have you gotten fairings set up yet? As usual, I have an example part that you can use for reference if you need it. :D

The T45 is a beaut, and I think that the 909 also looks great. The toroidal tank is well-integrated, and it's nice to have visual variety in that way.

Re tankbutts, well, I prefer engines with them myself, but that's primarily because of how Squad modeled and textured the ends of the fuel tanks. If you were to redo the ends of all the stock tanks, it would be far more attractive ;).

This is all very impressive. You've come a long way since the open part mod.

One important question. Are you using the exact same colliders for all these models? This is important if you want to replace existing parts without breaking anything.

LV-909 looks good. The T-45 could use a baseplate though. Having it just connect into empty air with some tanks would not look that good.
He's replacing the models entirely, but the node positions are the same. Colliders are generally the same save for a few minor changes (like on the wings) but I haven't noticed any issues using these over the original stock ones.

Once again, I'm blown away by how good the T45 looks! I will say that I don't think that the engines need thrust plates, but it might be nice to have some sort of cover for the bottom of the fuel tanks, maybe something that looks like the flat adapters. That would just be to cover up the bottom of the fuel tanks (especially that big black circle in the middle where the fuel lines connect) and make that particular linkage look a bit sturdier. We don't want pipes breaking and fuel going everywhere, now do we? :wink:

Have you gotten fairings set up yet? As usual, I have an example part that you can use for reference if you need it. :D

I do change colliders here and there (making gimbaling engines tilt their collision boxes for example) but I try to keep them within the same area of the stock parts.

Speaking of wich, it seems that no matter how hard I try, All my engines are longer than stock. Pain in the butt I tell you (I'm looking at you LV-909).

And hey, Their reinforced pipes! they support the engine too! (as to the moving pipes, I may need to make them pivot too, but for the 1 degree movement on the 45...)

They do have fairings.:P

The T45 is a beaut, and I think that the 909 also looks great. The toroidal tank is well-integrated, and it's nice to have visual variety in that way.

Re tankbutts, well, I prefer engines with them myself, but that's primarily because of how Squad modeled and textured the ends of the fuel tanks. If you were to redo the ends of all the stock tanks, it would be far more attractive :wink:.

I'm probably going to add an open ring to the engines, that fit perfectly into the new tanks :wink::

GmVWI6u.png

2 things - looking forward to a 0.25 update and have you contacted blackheart yet? His Stock Re-Texture Project is very similar in idea and execution, maybe you guys could collaborate or he does the textures, you do the models.. I only ask because both that pack and this are so well down, it's a shame I'll only be able to use one :/

2 things - looking forward to a 0.25 update and have you contacted blackheart yet? His Stock Re-Texture Project is very similar in idea and execution, maybe you guys could collaborate or he does the textures, you do the models.. I only ask because both that pack and this are so well down, it's a shame I'll only be able to use one :/

No, that would never do. His purpose is to change stock parts to KW-alike textures. THIS, however, is revamping stock parts to be even better than they were before.

If this mod ever does become stock, the modding community certainly will have a much higher standard to live up to :)

@Ven, I suggest perhaps doing some Mk3 parts in the SP+ style, until 0.26 when we get Hugo's new Mk3.5 system. I REALLY want to see more tanks. Is the eventual goal to re-do ALL the parts?

Now keep in mind that everything I say below is constructive criticism. These are my thoughts, and first I must say that you are a VERY talented artist.

Mk-2 Command Pod

I don't particularly like the textures on the Mk1-2 Command Pod. I feel that it's a bit too light and clean. It definitely needs more grime and dirtiness, and Perhaps the re-addition of the little thrusters on the side. I think the major problem is that there needs to be more contrast between light and dark. Also, I think the windows are a bit too light. (Even when not lit up!) I DO very much like the placement of the hatch. It's been requested that they fix this placement ever since 0.16 added the damned thing!

Mk2 Lander Can

I REALLY like the model you've made for this Can. But, just like the Mk1-2 Command Pod, I think it needs to be a bit darker and dirtier. And maybe set the windows IN the lookout-bit so they look less like a sticker.

Hitchhiker Storage Container

Again, a VERY nice model. However. Jebediah Kerman Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co. made this. Their one constant color is Yellow. If that blue striped thing has to be there, at least make it yellow. Also, I feel that some normal maps could be added to make the depressions in the HSC really press in and not look flat.

Mk55 Radial Engine

I have ONE request for this engine: Make the extender block that reaches into the fuel tank longer. This would allow us to put this engine on 1.25m parts without it sticking out there like it was stapled on at the top.

Rockomax Brand Decoupler

Like many of your parts, this one is lacking in the wonderful grimey detail that makes Kerbal parts so lovable. It is also missing the rivets/bolts on the panel that has the red arrow on it. Add these details and it will look perfect.

1.25->0.625 adaptor

Is it too much to ask for a separate model? I really don't like it when texture quality doesn't match up, and it just seems kinda slack.

Circular Intake

It would be SO cool if you could get it to animate. If I'm not mistaken, the stock system DOES support this now. If not, use firespitter until Stock inevitably implements this redo.

All of the Aerodynamic Parts

So when you re-did the plane parts you clearly had a stock redo in mind more than recreating SP+. Obviously now you can remove the new models for most of these parts, and I think you could probably release the Swept Wing with a lightly different texture (black edges perhaps), and people might use it. Personally I think the basic design for that wing is ugly, but you've at least detailed it enough so it's not shiny scrap iron.

Delta-Delux Winglet, Standard Canard, Advanced Canard, RV-8 Winglet

I feel that these all need that mat-black tiled heatsheilding strip along their leading edge. They don't quite look right with the light grey outline when compared to the SP+ parts.

Nose Cone Adaptor

I miss the black tiling on it. But if you still don't feel the need to bring that back, Make it at least have a black O-ring type shape (like on the FL-T series tanks).

Separatron, RCS Thrusters

The nozzles are a bit too dark here.

0.625 Docking Port

The 0.625 DEFINITELY needs a different model from the 1.25 port. They serve two different functions completely, only one of them allows crew transfer, the other allows only fuel and power to flow through. I also don't like that they have built in lights. But that's just me.

RT-10 SRB

Wait... WHAT HAPPENED TO O-RINGS? I loved those! They gave the RT-10 character! Those four or five little rings around the booster were great! And you murdered them! Now the model just looks boring! It definitely needs back some black if the winglets are getting some black.

1.25m Nosecone

I want a longer, sharper nosecone, as the current one looks too blunt. Perhaps just as a separate model.

1.25m Docking Ports

The various docking ports for 1.25m are lacking in that grimey detail again. They have these unfortunate flat textures on them, which really doesn't suit the Kerbal style.

FL-R1 Fuel Tank

I really don't like how you've redesigned it :(. I want the little yellow canisters back. It also needs more dark coloration on the dark metal part.

Science Parts

I LOVE These! I like that the barometer is green now, that's not a color often represented in KSP. but here it works well.

About all that blue

I hope you know what you're doing with all that. Never use blue for anything by Jeb's Junkyard or Rockomax. Their trademark colors are Yellow and Orange respectively. I'm not sure how I feel about the blue parachute, but I think it's okay.

With all that said, these are great models. These are just my ideas on how to make the things that the models are better.

EDIT:

White Jet Engines?

PLEASE tell me those are incomplete or separate non-stock models. Jet engines MUST be black! MUSTMUSTMUST! And that intake.... wait. You're not trying to redesign the SP+ parts are you? I really don't think that's necessary...

Edited by GregroxMun

No, that would never do. His purpose is to change stock parts to KW-alike textures. THIS, however, is revamping stock parts to be even better than they were before.

If this mod ever does become stock, the modding community certainly will have a much higher standard to live up to :)

@Ven, I suggest perhaps doing some Mk3 parts in the SP+ style, until 0.26 when we get Hugo's new Mk3.5 system. I REALLY want to see more tanks. Is the eventual goal to re-do ALL the parts?

Now keep in mind that everything I say below is constructive criticism. These are my thoughts, and first I must say that you are a VERY talented artist.

Mk-2 Command Pod

I don't particularly like the textures on the Mk1-2 Command Pod. I feel that it's a bit too light and clean. It definitely needs more grime and dirtiness, and Perhaps the re-addition of the little thrusters on the side. I think the major problem is that there needs to be more contrast between light and dark. Also, I think the windows are a bit too light. (Even when not lit up!) I DO very much like the placement of the hatch. It's been requested that they fix this placement ever since 0.16 added the damned thing!

Mk2 Lander Can

I REALLY like the model you've made for this Can. But, just like the Mk1-2 Command Pod, I think it needs to be a bit darker and dirtier. And maybe set the windows IN the lookout-bit so they look less like a sticker.

Again, a VERY nice model. However. Jebediah Kerman Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co. made this. Their one constant color is Yellow. If that blue striped thing has to be there, at least make it yellow. Also, I feel that some normal maps could be added to make the depressions in the HSC really press in and not look flat.

Mk55 Radial Engine

I have ONE request for this engine: Make the extender block that reaches into the fuel tank longer. This would allow us to put this engine on 1.25m parts without it sticking out there like it was stapled on at the top.

Rockomax Brand Decoupler

Like many of your parts, this one is lacking in the wonderful grimey detail that makes Kerbal parts so lovable. It is also missing the rivets/bolts on the panel that has the red arrow on it. Add these details and it will look perfect.

1.25->0.625 adaptor

Is it too much to ask for a separate model? I really don't like it when texture quality doesn't match up, and it just seems kinda slack.

Circular Intake

It would be SO cool if you could get it to animate. If I'm not mistaken, the stock system DOES support this now. If not, use firespitter until Stock inevitably implements this redo.

All of the Aerodynamic Parts

So when you re-did the plane parts you clearly had a stock redo in mind more than recreating SP+. Obviously now you can remove the new models for most of these parts, and I think you could probably release the Swept Wing with a lightly different texture (black edges perhaps), and people might use it. Personally I think the basic design for that wing is ugly, but you've at least detailed it enough so it's not shiny scrap iron.

I feel that these all need that mat-black tiled heatsheilding strip along their leading edge. They don't quite look right with the light grey outline when compared to the SP+ parts.

Nose Cone Adaptor

I miss the black tiling on it. But if you still don't feel the need to bring that back, Make it at least have a black O-ring type shape (like on the FL-T series tanks).

Separatron, RCS Thrusters

The nozzles are a bit too dark here.

0.625 Docking Port

The 0.625 DEFINITELY needs a different model from the 1.25 port. They serve two different functions completely, only one of them allows crew transfer, the other allows only fuel and power to flow through. I also don't like that they have built in lights. But that's just me.

RT-10 SRB

Wait... WHAT HAPPENED TO O-RINGS? I loved those! They gave the RT-10 character! Those four or five little rings around the booster were great! And you murdered them! Now the model just looks boring! It definitely needs back some black if the winglets are getting some black.

1.25m Nosecone

I want a longer, sharper nosecone, as the current one looks too blunt. Perhaps just as a separate model.

1.25m Docking Ports

The various docking ports for 1.25m are lacking in that grimey detail again. They have these unfortunate flat textures on them, which really doesn't suit the Kerbal style.

FL-R1 Fuel Tank

I really don't like how you've redesigned it :(. I want the little yellow canisters back. It also needs more dark coloration on the dark metal part.

Science Parts

I LOVE These! I like that the barometer is green now, that's not a color often represented in KSP. but here it works well.

About all that blue

I hope you know what you're doing with all that. Never use blue for anything by Jeb's Junkyard or Rockomax. Their trademark colors are Yellow and Orange respectively. I'm not sure how I feel about the blue parachute, but I think it's okay.

With all that said, these are great models. These are just my ideas on how to make the things that the models are better.

EDIT:

White Jet Engines?

PLEASE tell me those are incomplete or separate non-stock models. Jet engines MUST be black! MUSTMUSTMUST! And that intake.... wait. You're not trying to redesign the SP+ parts are you? I really don't think that's necessary...

Dangit Gregrox I can't give you more rep... :P

Quite a lot you're asking, but I'd agree with you in the long run of this mod.

@GregroxMun You certainly have some good ideas, but I don't think Ven should 'dirty' up his textures. I don't think I speak only for myself when I say the griminess of the stock parts is one of their main problems. And in regards to the color schemes, I like the light blue of the new Hitchhiker, KSP needs more colors than just gray, orange and yellow.

Yeah, I think that while the standard 2 meter pod could use some more details the grit level is about right. Everything seems to blend really well with the rest of the KSC so I don't see anything that really needs to be fixed.

@Ven That ring and fuel tanks look awesome! Much better than stock stuff is currently and fits really well with the NASA update.

I kinda feel like this mod's purpose should be to re-model the stock parts without changing their design much. Maybe have two packs: one that's clean and boring, and one that's grimy and full of character. The color scheme of Jeb's Junkyard parts is already established to be Greys, Whites, Blacks, and Yellow highlights.

Blue, by the way, is my favorite color. But Kerbin's sky and sea are already blue, so it's not like the game is lacking in this color.

If you do really want more blue parts, Probodobodyne has blue accents, and the Clamp-O-Tron manufacturers don't really have a color scheme. Perhaps The Science lab is the logical place to put the blue accents. Integrated Internals (the manufacturers who built the science lab) have ONLY the science lab, which is fairly color-neutral. Blue is (in my opinion) a more sciencey/high-tech color than yellow, the latter of which feels more like an engineering-related color; and of course, suits the color scheme of Jeb's Junkyard parts.

You have to remember that Jeb's Junkyard parts were literally made from "parts lying around". And although it isn't explicitly stated, it is implied that most Kerbal Spacecraft parts are made from junk/scrap/found-lying-by-the-side-of-the-road. the parts look dirty because it gives the Kerbals the character of "throwing things at the wall space and seeing what sticks." If Kerbals had clean (even if it's still baked) textures, it looks more precisely engineered and would make the player feel slightly worse for failure and slightly not as good for success. The same parts with different style can make the difference between "Holy crap! I made it!" and "Yes. We made it!"

People who like realism mods and the like can continue to use realistic part mods with clean textures, but at the basic core of the stock and intended experience is that the goofy Kerbals are throwing things together to try to do big things. And that is the mentality you see behind Let's Players who play KSP for the first time. They build something that looks crazy, which makes it all the more exciting when it actually works.

If you are like most people (Not like Most KSP Forumers), you can more relate to the guesswork, amateur-esque, Throw-together-fireworks-and-make-them-fly nature of Kerbals than you can relate to the calculated, cold, and calm nature of Real-World, Orbiter, and RealSolarSystem/6.4:1 Kerbal space programs. It's a far more effective way of educating people about spaceflight to get them hooked into the explosion-simulator reputation that the game has than it is to try and give them a realistic space simulator. Many more people get hooked into KSP and then spaceflight than they do Orbiter.

And that is why the dirty, grimy textures are important. It gives KSP itself a relatable character quality. And of coure, the great thing about mods is that even though they might never become stock, you can always add them yourself if you do want the cold, calculated experience!

And wow that is a lot of things. I guess I got on a roll and couldn't stop, even though the post left the realms of merely talking about textures. :P

Being part of the Light Green Group means higher-quality, longer posts.

There may be a chance of that happening. Howerver what are the chances that anyone will want to use the Mk3.5 system after I throw down my cards? ( I had high hopes for his parts, but If the Mk1 parts are any indication of the quality of the MK3... I'll say they'll be meh at best.)

And yes I'm doing the insane thing of redoing every part in KSP (Excluding the NASA and SP+ parts).

Mk-2 Command Pod

I don't really want to dirty up the parts too much, I'm going for a cleaner style. As for the windows i'll just apply parts of the emmissive map to the specular, that should make the window a little less even. (same with the Mk2 Lander can)

I'm going through every Normal map, and redoing them (forgot to invert Y), So I'll bump the crew can up a bit while I'm doing that. The blue on the otherhand nicely works off of the white. It's not like someone stole all of Jeb's paint, before the parts were made.:wink:

May add a yellow ring around the windows...

*now avoiding trying to write a side story.

Mk55 Radial Engine

Even more!?:huh:

1.25->0.625 adaptor

I could decrease the texture resolution to help it match with the parts.

True, I'll be adding that.

Nose Cone Adaptor

I just hate that adapter! It enrages me each time I see it!

Just though that it'd be useful to start with that. Anyways, It's pending on a redo, once I have a good design in mind. I was thinking of giving it built in RCS ports, but that might make a craft more difficult to control.

Yay for Input!

EDIT:

White Jet Engines?

The turbojet will be entirely black! (any ideas how to have an animation triggered by the throttle?(or does the FXAnimateThrottle work on things other than emmissives?)) But the basic jet looks good white... Well I'll see what it looks like.

I just got really tired of the stock ram intake. I like its design but it's so hard to make it look right.

Eh, made parts of the intake glow as the part gets hotter though. It glows blue by the way.

I kinda feel like this mod's purpose should be to re-model the stock parts without changing their design much. Maybe have two packs: one that's clean and boring, and one that's grimy and full of character. The color scheme of Jeb's Junkyard parts is already established to be Greys, Whites, Blacks, and Yellow highlights.

I really want to hit the sweet spot in between the two, parts that look decent, but have seen things. A place where a mod like KW Rocketry is cross-bread with stock, to create somewhat dirty, but sophisticated offspring. I'll try to keep to the stock ascetic, but I won't fear changing it slightly.

-snip-

Well, I don't agree with you. I couldn't care less for parts looking like junk. You can use stock if you want that. IMO, this pack is great in that it gets rid of stupid-looking parts in favor of more realistic ones. Just who did ever see black jet engines. IMO, people can relate to stuff that looks like real-life plane and rocket parts, not like steel oil drums and engines made of scrap. This just doesn't look right, spaceflight is and always was high-tech, and as such, should look the part. I think that most people who play KSP actually do associate it with SF-looking, "advanced" parts. Even '60s tech looks sleek and SF-ish. Indeed, I always hated stock parts and how ridiculous they looked. I think that this "full of character" look just makes parts look shoddy, like they were made by someone who never seen a rocket in life. "Throw things together and see what works" is an approach that was only any good in the past, since then, KSP evolved a lot and it became clear it's much more than just slapping stuff together (and when they fix the aerodynamics, it'll definitely end the era of downright stupid designs that nevertheless work well). Squad is moving that way with SP+ parts, too, and I wouldn't be surprised if rocket parts were remade at some point, too. Parts looking like junk are an anachronism that we need to get rid of, KSP has outgrown both this aesthetic and this playstyle. There is still some comedy in company names and part descriptions, but it's much less pronounced than originally was. As such, I think that only Jeb's Junkyard parts have any right to look silly, and even that should be used in moderation.

I say, keep it clean, sleek and good-looking. Excessive grime just doesn't belong on spacecraft, especially on disposable parts (the pod can be excused, since it's likely reusable).

I have a comment on the Mk2 lander can. I wish it's bumb/hitmap was the same as stock KSP's, but it had only your redone texture. You increased the diameter of the whole part which while it looks good, makes all my previous craft's side detailing clip inside the wall. Aditionally it would cause anything I built with your model to not work with plain vanilla KSP textures/maps. I know you did this as to make it look better inline and to remove the gray lip on the bottom, but I don't think the redone shape is exactly 'vanilla with a redone texture'. - Would it be difficult for you to make a texture only download that has the stock mesh? I would love one.

- Avera9eJoe!

EDIT: Wow you're getting a lot of walls of text. Sorry.

Despite indeed having an opinion on SP+ parts, I managed to forget to include these here. My argument might begin to break down somewhat with these parts. I do not see it that way. "The exception that proves the rule" is a stupid phrase, but I think Plane parts are forced to be the exception due to how much more effort and research is needed to develop these.

Also, there is a trend that parts look less and less junk-y as they advance in tech. The Kerbodyne parts are much more precisely engineered than the Rockomax parts, and they are less scrap-heaped than Jeb's Junkyard parts. The plane parts logically would be the very top line of Kerbal Engineering. In real life you can strap together some fireworks and find them flying off into the sky. You can use found parts to build a rocket engine. (Copenhagen Suborbitals, for instance). But engineering a plane is far more difficult. There are many more rules to aircraft construction than to Rocket construction.

Lighten up, it's just people disagreeing you you. You have an opinion, others have theirs. No need to take offence. I for instance love the emissives on the docking ports and seeing how the 0.625 one not allowing crew transfer is something you yourself have decided, I think that's pretty irrelevant (again, no offence).

Anyway, the KSP devs can think what they like, but as stated in the OP, this mod changes the stock textures, "hopefully making them more beautiful in the process". I don't see how dirtying up parts makes them more beautiful, that's all.

I'm with Dragon on this. This "kerbal character" that you love so much doesn't seem to be what keeps people playing. It's a hook for your inner child. Why do you think all the most popular mods are more realistic? KW, Novapunch, B9. It's because most people move on after a while. Squad's standard of parts is not something to aim for. It's just keeping modders satisfied with mediocrity.

I'm with Dragon on this. This "kerbal character" that you love so much doesn't seem to be what keeps people playing. It's a hook for your inner child. Why do you think all the most popular mods are more realistic? KW, Novapunch, B9. It's because most people move on after a while. Squad's standard of parts is not something to aim for. It's just keeping modders satisfied with mediocrity.

You know, you really do have a knack for mildly offending people by what I can only assume is by accident. You have a very accusational tone in text. Not to mention what can be described by at least some standards as Ad Hominen. "inner child", "mediocrity".

Anyway, I guess you win the argument. A few sentences have done a great job in discrediting the better part of an hour of writing.

The Descriptions say that the 0.625 can't transfer crew.

"As a result of its small size, it's usable for transferring resources, but not crew."

And in game, you can transfer them with the new crew transfer system. Also bear in mind the description for the tiny legs says they're made of space-grade toothpicks and the huge wheels unveiling caused the company chairman to drop dead on the spot.

Worth taking the part descriptions with a grain of salt, is all.

EDIT: Also, when you spend an hour writing out personal opinions on textures, please don't get offended when people disagree with the majority of what you wrote. And that's what it is, a disagreement. No attacks, no offending, just 'I disagree with what you wrote and my opinions differ to yours' and that's fine - people can't agree on everything all the time. Who knows, maybe Ven will decided to go your route and muddy things up. We dont know and offering personal feedback is all we can do. But giving personal feedback and getting offended when people say 'I disagree with that' is something we should not do.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

And in game, you can transfer them with the new crew transfer system. Also bear in mind the description for the tiny legs says they're made of space-grade toothpicks and the huge wheels unveiling caused the company chairman to drop dead on the spot.

Worth taking the part descriptions with a grain of salt, is all.

EDIT: Also, when you spend an hour writing out personal opinions on textures, please don't get offended when people disagree with the majority of what you wrote. And that's what it is, a disagreement. No attacks, no offending, just 'I disagree with what you wrote and my opinions differ to yours' and that's fine - people can't agree on everything all the time. Who knows, maybe Ven will decided to go your route and muddy things up. We dont know and offering personal feedback is all we can do. But giving personal feedback and getting offended when people say 'I disagree with that' is something we should not do.

Who said Kerbals don't drop dead? There's nothing in-game that says that Kerbals don't drop dead when amazed! The description says they do, so they do. Maybe astronaut Kerbals are just all the Kerbals who DON'T drop dead when they see something amazing! No. musn't write a side-story. And I'm sure proper crew transfer will eventually be implemented.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but I'm not overly concerned if I do either. I'm trying to be objective.

Objective isn't using the word "mediocre".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.