Technical Dynamics - Minotaur-C, PAGEOS WIP

gooddog15

I can try UV unwrapping it for you (once the model is finished). I'm not the best but I'm sort of okay at it. :sealed:

Thank you! However, I'll have redo the model, as the top of the engine bell somehow got screwed up (the bit you see at the top of the engine is actually the inside of it being extended up inside of the part as a quick fix). I should be able to get the new model finished soon

edit: finished new baseline model, now adding detail

Edited by gooddog15

Awesome! Thanks. :)

your welcome!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm planning on temporary halting progress on the J1 for the next 3-4 days or less in order to learn a lot more about blender.

Hopefully I can learn how to create collision mesh's, adding fine details, UV mapping/unwrapping, texturing, getting CFG's in order,successfully getting objects in game, ect so I don't have to fudge my way through development.

in the process, I'm going to make a awesome square shaped fuel tank, which I dubbed "The box"

After that temporary pause, I'm going to fine tune the J1 for Woopert (if he still wants to) so he can unwrap it. Once the J1 is ready, I'll put out a early alpha with it and the box.

Then, work will commence on a tankbutt-less J1, 3m RCS tank, and the ME-1E monopropellant engine for a potential 2nd alpha release (possibly later this month). A 3rd alpha release would most likely contain a slim 2-3 adaptor, a 3m separator (easy), a powerful .5m separtron for huge stages , and a few other parts. That release would likely come in mid-late October. hopefully I won't have to get help and I'll be self-sufficient by when that time comes around.

the timeline above may become unofficial because I have just started school, and some unexpected things may come up (my laptop might suddenly go out of commission to get it's broken power cord jack and crappy battery replaced. Worst case scenario is that it takes too weeks to get new parts).

also, I'm thinking of a new name for this mod. I'm currently thinking about something like "Technical Dynamics". Maybe some of you can suggest names as time passes by.

edit: also, also, I just came up with a weird, but cool coincidences. the J1 Gilligan, is just like the stock skipper engine. both act as medium (ish) engines. both share a name with 2 characters from Gilligans Island. And the skipper is older, and the J1 is younger, like both characters from that show. dun dun dun

Edited by gooddog15

If you need inspiration for detailing the engine, you might look at the Astris upper stage engine (highres here). It looks about the right size for you, and no one's made a lookalike (unlike the fifty million SPSs and J-2s).

wow. I would love to make that now but, that level of grebalness (the truss section) is out of my range. I'll see if I can put some elements from that into this engine after the break.

once I get to that level of skill, I'll create it for a Europa 1 look-alike

Edited by gooddog15

My cunning plan is revealed!

(Turns out, even beyond my own interests, I'm also shilling for this :) )

You might want to look at some simpler, less trussy pressure-fed engines then. Maybe the AJ10 from Vanguard/Able or Thor-Delta. Or do you want pump-fed? Those usually are more complex-looking (because they're more complex period).

My cunning plan is revealed!

(Turns out, even beyond my own interests, I'm also shilling for this :) )

You might want to look at some simpler, less trussy pressure-fed engines then. Maybe the AJ10 from Vanguard/Able or Thor-Delta. Or do you want pump-fed? Those usually are more complex-looking (because they're more complex period).

I can do those engines in a heartbeat. Also, I'm probably going to model pump-fed rocket engines, as pressure-fed engines are sort of bland.

Also, also, I actually now have the ability to now model the astris, however the truss section would take some time to create.

It really, really was.

gooda.

Update:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

After looking at fruitless tutorials, and performing experiments, I think I know how to somewhat make UV's and textures, however I might be doing it all wrong.

In the meantime:

Introducing the boxodyne:

ikyZwRF.png

It's a 1m cube shaped probe core related to the Probodobodyne QBE. It's to be used alongside "the Box" and the ME-1E monopropellant engine as a spacecraft bus.

also I've experimented with putting two little propellant tanks inspired from the Astris on the tank butt of the J1.

* note: this was put on the old J2 model for experimental purposes.*

9enXV8b.png

When I recommence work on the J1, these will be added. I haven't decided if it will make the engine have a little LFO or not due to this.

Edited by gooddog15

Cool!

If you want to follow reality, they'd be for tank pressurant, and thus not contribute to fuel or oxidizer.

I might now make it have monopropellant to help aid RCS reserves on upperstages. It could also be filled with silly string.

Jeb likes silly string.

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/West_Europe/Europa/Gallery/Astris_1big.jpg

Image of asterism, showing vernier nozzles which are missing in the other photo.

Just trying to help....

might make similar radial vernier engines like that. also, that is a absolute crap ton of wires and fuel lines.

Thank you!

on another note, Just downloaded the indie version of Unity!

Edited by gooddog15

Small radial verniers would be great!

those will have to wait, due to weird issues from attempting to export my models into Unity.

edit: fixed, commencing the learning of Unity!

Edited by gooddog15
said blender instead of unity

• 2 weeks later...

--------------------------------Update--------------------------------------

I finally got something that completely works in game!

may I present a prototype of a prototype boxodyne fuel tank!

EscAfvC.png

Also, I've been working on a science experiment called a impact camera:

T2dyecN.png

it's based, somewhat on the ranger's camera. I'll remake the model so it doesn't look like a water tower

also new ME-1E model:

qh9TH9w.png

I'm currently having problems making the textures work for these.

once they're resolved, I can get them in game soon tm

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I manage to do a lot of stuff this week, after I lost my internet.

So here's what I've done this week:

Boxodyne

So, I've managed to get boxodyne along with few other box parts

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm want to get these parts working and released this weekend(?). The mod is going to consist of 9 parts:

full cubes: "Half cubes"

probe body probe body

monopropellant monoprop

LFO LFO

Xenon Xenon

Battery bank

I've also worked on Blue Streak parts for the Europa-1:

Engine

aKbtt8F.png

Fuel tank

KKZp1QS.png

Edited by gooddog15

Looking good!

I might ask, though, if you'd be willing to do what, say, frizzank does, and have what you have marked "engine" above be the boattail, with actual engine parts inside. That will allow us to, say, build single-RZ2 rockets, or use different engines for later Europas.

Looking good!

I might ask, though, if you'd be willing to do what, say, frizzank does, and have what you have marked "engine" above be the boattail, with actual engine parts inside. That will allow us to, say, build single-RZ2 rockets, or use different engines for later Europas.

Sure, I'll do that. RZ2's look pretty easy to model, and I probably could do it tonight.

also I could get the Blue streak in game faster by doing that, as a all-in-one deal that I was going with could complicate things.

edit: did it! However, I'm unsure on weather the top bits are necessary to have.

P3hP2G4.png

Edited by gooddog15

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.