What is your favorte Joolian moon? (quick survey thing)

HafCoJoe

Which Joolian moon is your personal favorite?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Which Joolian moon is your personal favorite?

• Laythe - "watery"
    • Vall - "icy"
    • Tylo - "heavy"
    • Bop - "potatoey"
    • Pol - "spiky"

Hey all. I was just curious what YOUR favorite Joolian moon is?

I seem to have a habit of randomly posting polls but, I find it entertaining and somewhat enlightening on what the forum thinks of a subject/what they do (apparently, 15% of the forum uses a mobile device for the forum :P). So which moon of Jool is your favorite?

inb4 Laythe...

Anyways, my favorite Joolian moon would have to be Pol because of its very colorful and very mountainous landscape. Also, its the first Joolian moon I ever landed on...

TVxSu3Z.jpg

Can you believe it! That picture is over 1 year and 4 months old. Ahh the memories... T'was a simpler time when I didn't care about Delta-V or building decent rockets or doing anything remotely efficiently...

Poor Tylo aint getting much of a like... i guess because saying hello to Tylo always ends in a fight to the death.

I´ve never been to Bop and Pol, Val is vast but has some strange feeling to it and i still need to find the anomaly

(located it with ScanSAT in my .23.5 career though), so i go with Laythe. Especially with Environmental Visual Enhancements installed.

I personally have to go with Vall. I've landed at twice there :P. both at the anomaly :P. I just love the place. Icy... mystical... Also the science scans said something cool about earthquakes. Here's the mission log.

Sharing my story isn't the point of this though. Why does everyone like Laythe so much... is it because jet engines?

I personally have to go with Vall. I've landed at twice there :P. both at the anomaly :P. I just love the place. Icy... mystical... Also the science scans said something cool about earthquakes. Here's the mission log.

Sharing my story isn't the point of this though. Why does everyone like Laythe so much... is it because jet engines?

If you look at the Joolian moons in terms of how useful they are, Laythe ranks #1 easily. For starters, Laythe has an atmosphere which allows you to areocapture directly from a Jool flyby into a Laythe orbit without having to spend a ton of fuel, or aerocapture at Jool. In addition, Laythe has strong gravity (as strong as Tylo) which makes it a prime target for gravity assists. You can also perform both a gravity assist AND an aerobrake to change your orbit in ways a regular gravity assist couldn't. This makes Laythe an incredibly useful planet for correcting inclined, hyperbolic Jool flyby orbits into Jool equatorial orbits. As mentioned before, Laythe also has oxygen in its atmosphere which means that you can use KSP's incredibly overpowered jet engines to land/lift heavy payloads with minimum fuel (not saying that this is a bad thing, I'm guilty of it too). On top of all of that, Laythe is the most science rich celestial body in the Kerbol System. So there, Laythe OP volvo pls nerf.

Despite all this, I can't like Laythe as much as Pol. There's just something mysterious and captivating about Pol... I also like Vall a lot too, it ranks #2 as my favorite Joolian moon just for this scene:

t6Mfd6D.jpg

I was amazed by Pol's beauty when I landed on it. Although not a fan of moons with tiny gravity (makes my rover perform badly), I would definitely use that one for a refueling base before heading out to (future) further away planets of the Kerbol System (like an Uranus analogue of somekind).

Laythe comes in as a close second with Val.

I like Pol because all the spikes remind me of this ancient claymation Gumby show where he went to the moon. Also, all the spikes kick your FPS in the crotch when you get low enough for ground scatter to load. And there are places where the collision mesh is about 1500m above the visible surface so your ship explodes during descent. But mostly because it looks like the Daemon Sultan Azathoth :). What's not to love about it?

I like Laythe because it's a challenging place to land and return from, but not so challenging that you need a super-heavy unwieldy lander module like Tylo. The fact that it has oxygen means I don't feel so bad about stranding kerbals there if something goes wrong. And the view is amazing.

dDDs3dF.png

I do like Laythe, and it's very pretty with BA (especially looking at Jool!), but Pol is mostest favouritester; it looks cool with its weird colours, it's a breeze to get to and land on, its low gravity is great fun, and it's really useful when you have EPL and Kethane/Karbonite!

IMO, Pol wins this Poll!

I'm also kind of weirdly in love with Vall. It doesn't look a thing like Europa (which I am, slightly more seriously, also in love with) but I just love the seas of ageless ice surrounded by sharp mountain ranges. It and Laythe are actually the only ones of the Joolian moons I've ever landed on (I should really send something to Bop and Pol soon, Tylo can wait until I have a few days of nothing to do). Laythe is pretty and the 02 atmosphere is very intriguing (and useful), but its hard to take off from and has a habit of eating my ships and kerbals Eve-style. It would probably be my favorite if I went there more, but every ship I send to Jool tends to get enticed by the siren song of Vall and lands there instead. Which is often a good thing, because sometimes I just head off for Jool without remembering to equip my ship with a lander capable of getting down and back up again from anywhere big, and end up having to just land on whatever I can get my transit vehicle down onto. That's not really an excuse for not going to Bop or Pol, but the big far-out and inclined orbits tend to prey upon my laziness.

Vall, though. I mean, just look at this place!

7y8XPjw.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.