My God, can we stop with un-neccasary "Hype-Mobiles"?

TheCanadianVendingMachine

I'd like to propose a more abstract way of looking at this. For some people love parroting ideas. These days they're called "internet memes". That train thing is just another one of those.

I think memes are a bit stupid because of their very nature and purpose of simply being repeated, but years ago even I would visit forums and try to fit in by showing everyone that I'm in on the joke.

I don't do that (much) anymore.

Polly doesn't want a cracker.

When you remove the "humorous" padding, which is the Hype Train meme, then all you have is people speculating on something they have no idea about, and that doesn't sound as interesting.

Honestly I think the reason the hype is getting as big as it is, is precisely because now people associate it with images of trains. It's like advertising. It has nothing to do with anything, it just grabs their attention.

I'm loving it

Did you think of McDonalds? It's a meme. Are you hungry now? Fancy a burger? Wanna talk about possible new features of KSP?

What's the harm? Gregrox might be a little out there and we'll be checking the lock on his padded room after the update hits (wink) but let them have their fun... I built a "hype train" myself because I was bored and it sounded fun to string a bunch of stuff together that wouldn't normally be built in this game and mess around with it. As for all the actual "hype hype hype" that goes on on those threads sometimes I don't care for it too much, I go there for the wild speculation and general humor in an otherwise pretty serious place. To each his own, it's not hurting anyone. Just my 2 cents.

What's the harm? Gregrox might be a little out there and we'll be checking the lock on his padded room after the update hits (wink) but let them have their fun...

[snip]

And what then? As soon as 0.25 hits the shelves people will indeed be cured of update fever. But only for a short while. Within one or two weeks people will start "What do you want for 0.26?" threads. (And probably even 0.27) They have done it for at least a year and a half and will do it for the foreseeable future.

All this hype crap is completely unnecessary, serves absolutely no purpose except for creating false hopes and can only lead to disappointment.

As much as Gregrox is the driving force about the current hype train, his signature displays the results.

hypetrain1.jpg

The SPORE hype train was HUGE. Only to be overshadowed by the utter failure that followed.

People, please. Don't fool yourself with idle hope. The higher your expectations the bigger the disappointment.

Updates come when they come and only contain what SQUAD wants. Not what YOU want. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the game.

Edited by Tex_NL
Restored some content removed by auto-censor

I just had a moment and deleted my post by accident, go me.

I can't say you're completely wrong on a lot of that and I don't claim to speak for SQUAD, but it makes sense they'd prefer hype rather than apathy. And unlike some other companies they do care what the people want and try to implement things that are important to the community faster when it's feasible and doesn't throw off their internal release schedule too bad, as has been shown in the past (the early x64 release for a quick example). Rowsdower and maxmaps to an extent have even been encouraging the hype, and it's usually contained pretty well to a thread or two. If people are hyped for the next release, they know they are doing something right! I think it's important to them to get a feel for what the community thinks and wants when it's reasonable, especially in a pre-release scenario.

Again I'm not one for off the charts hype myself and I'll not be disappointed no matter what they release next. In my relatively short time here (since .22, a couple weeks before .23) I have seen some pretty great changes and in the end I know SQUAD will do what they want when they want, and we can take it or leave it. I bought this game with no expectations past what was about to come out - if they had put out .23 and called it done, my money was still well spent. I just don't get why people see the hype as such a negative thing.

I just had a moment and deleted my post by accident, go me.

I can't say you're completely wrong on a lot of that and I don't claim to speak for SQUAD, but it makes sense they'd prefer hype rather than apathy. And unlike some other companies they do care what the people want and try to implement things that are important to the community faster when it's feasible and doesn't throw off their internal release schedule too bad, as has been shown in the past (the early x64 release for a quick example). Rowsdower and maxmaps to an extent have even been encouraging the hype, and it's usually contained pretty well to a thread or two. If people are hyped for the next release, they know they are doing something right! I think it's important to them to get a feel for what the community thinks and wants when it's reasonable, especially in a pre-release scenario.

Again I'm not one for off the charts hype myself and I'll not be disappointed no matter what they release next. In my relatively short time here (since .22, a couple weeks before .23) I have seen some pretty great changes and in the end I know SQUAD will do what they want when they want, and we can take it or leave it. I bought this game with no expectations past what was about to come out - if they had put out .23 and called it done, my money was still well spent. I just don't get why people see the hype as such a negative thing.

That was a really poor rationalisation. Half of that text is completely irrelevant, and the rest sounds like you haven't really thought about the sequence of events that follow a release. Sooo do it. Think about that sequence.

I think most of us agree that a bit of hype is fine, but it's a bit like giving toddlers coke and sweets at a party - one minute everyone's having a great time, five minutes later it's a screaming mess of tantrums and vomit.

My two currency units while the 4-Door Sedan of Measured Expectations waits at the traffic-lights.

• 2 months later...