What will you do with cargo bays first?

-RanZ-

Not much, at least with just the stock aerodynamics model (I'd need to install FAR to have any real use for them). They need to implement Aerodynamic Shielding (so parts inside Cargo Bays don't experience drag) first for them to be truly useful...

Speaking of which, I *strongly suggest* popping over to my thread on what aerodynamic features SQUAD should make part of the stock aerodynamics model when they FINALLY get around to updating it (which some devs have hinted *might* be coming up sometime in the near future...)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/95480-What-Aerodynamic-Features-would-you-like-to-see-added

Regards,

Northstar

Maybe something to keep in mind while we wait for aerodynamics is the fact that you can still use the cargo bay. Just because it doesn't fully hide things from atmospheric drag doesn't mean they're pointless to use.

I also downloaded the SP+ parts to play with them. I'm one of those people who would build cargo bays out of stock parts just because I wanted to. It didn't do any practical good, and in fact only served to weigh down my craft. Plus there's all those new wing parts, which makes it a bit easier to build nicer wings. :D Some people still like the aesthetics, while others go for the highest "game allowed" performance. It's all up to you!

I will certainly be making some space planes with them. And probably trying hard to think of ways to include them on interstellar ships for storing probes and science bits... Or maybe even on a lander to hide a kerbal rover in!

Cheers,

~Claw

I'm very sad to admit that I suck at SSTO designs. I've tried with stock, NEAR, and FAR.... and I get nowhere near, and very far, from my target of orbit. I can design rockets until Jeb comes home, but getting a plane into orbit? Apparently, no.

I'm very sad to admit that I suck at SSTO designs. I've tried with stock, NEAR, and FAR.... and I get nowhere near, and very far, from my target of orbit. I can design rockets until Jeb comes home, but getting a plane into orbit? Apparently, no.

Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier it can be to build an SSTO plane with the SP+ parts. :D

I plan to begin two saves. One initially to try the new parts in sandbox. The other straight to full career to record and post mission reports and hopefully cinematic movies following the AngleCan space programme that has been established to explore the nature of the universe and the role of angels keeping those heavenly bodies following their rails.

Put cargo in them.

Nah just kidding, make a fighterjet or bomber with BD Armoury, which can store missiles internally. I've been waiting for that. Since they're modifying it I can finally turn the cargo bay upside down.

In a further response to my plans for the new plane parts - I was hoping that the Mk1 Lander Can would be able to fit into the cargo bay with clipping through the doors (and probably the base too as seen in HOCGaming's video). My main concern is that I can construct large interplanetary vessels in orbit using only fully recoverable delivery vehicles.

It would mean a resign for the interplanetaries, but the Mk1 Lander Can may fit sideways. Or else it may have to run shotgun on the roof!

Make a plane/ssto with them to see how they work, and launch it a few times. Then become bored with them since there is only one landing gear option that will not fit the part styling. With all the work to make the spaceplane + parts look nice there should be landing gear options that are in the body and wings, the current one doesn't look all that great IMHO.