Anyone else who just plays career....

Crusher8000

...and is happy with the updates so far? I see a lot of people complaining that career isn't really that good and that they weren't really interested in 0.25. While their opinions should be heard the other side should also speak up sometimes to balance all the negativity.

I didn't play KSP for a while, I did play sandbox mode a lot back in the 0.1X updates but i got bored of the game for a while. I tried every update but I always realized most there weren't that many chances to start a new playthrough, however this time with 0.25 I decided to play it some more. With the new difficulty options I could now turn off the time reversal adding significant risk and fun to the game. The new parts are nice and paying for research also makes my budget more risky. I had to start a flag farm on several planets to keep my budget in check (I'm not the most efficient builder).

I like the way the game is going and last update made me go back to the game at least for a short while. (I'm saving up so when the game comes out officially I'm not completely bored of it)/

i play KSP for 2 weeks and the carreer mode is perfect for me.

Few parts to mess with in the beginning, few easy missions to get going with the mechanic's, nice rewards for the efforts.

I only wish it would give missions only for the technologies i have, or else, that the part needed for test would be in green, while a part in a technologie i dont have would be in red.

I see a lot of people complaining that career isn't really that good and that they weren't really interested in 0.25.

There hasn't been an update yet where there hasn't been a noisy minority complaining that it was the end of KSP as an enjoyable game.

I only play career (the only reason I play sandbox is to test a vessel or a new mod) and I've been satisfied with the new content and mechanics that have been added to that game mode. My concerns have consistently been what they've said they weren't adding to the game.

It's my impression that the community members that complain about career development are typically only interested in sandbox.

While as of .23 I was playing more career mode than sandbox, I am currently considering taking a break from the career mode things for a bit. It is not because I am unhappy with the current changes to the mode itself, but rather I am just at a state of burnout right now. There are a few things I would like to see tweaked (Tech tree being the biggest one that I see right now) in future updates, but otherwise it seems to be coming along just fine. Maybe in an update or two I will come back to it or even in a few months but for now I am considering doing something different and fun for me, and at the end of the day that is what any game is suppose to be for the player.

Used sandbox as a tutorial, but ever since switched purely to the Career mode for a full experience.

The only case when I use career is for building and testing some new rockets or trying to replicate bugs. Sandbox is my go-to toying mode.

...and is happy with the updates so far? I see a lot of people complaining that career isn't really that good and that they weren't really interested in 0.25. While their opinions should be heard the other side should also speak up sometimes to balance all the negativity.

I didn't play KSP for a while, I did play sandbox mode a lot back in the 0.1X updates but i got bored of the game for a while. I tried every update but I always realized most there weren't that many chances to start a new playthrough, however this time with 0.25 I decided to play it some more. With the new difficulty options I could now turn off the time reversal adding significant risk and fun to the game. The new parts are nice and paying for research also makes my budget more risky. I had to start a flag farm on several planets to keep my budget in check (I'm not the most efficient builder).

I like the way the game is going and last update made me go back to the game at least for a short while. (I'm saving up so when the game comes out officially I'm not completely bored of it)/

To the extent I've played it, I've enjoyed it. I think for some people in .25, there isn't a whole lot there except difficulty settings. the Admin things can help out, but they aren't necessarily a big deal, and most people won't be blowing up buildings in 0.25. And if you mainly build rockets, the plain parts aren't a big deal too. so part of it is that the additions in .25 just won't apply to a non-trivial number of players. But it will matter a lot of a lot of other players. As usual, I think it just depends how you play the game and what you play the game for as to whether the update does a lot for you or not.

While I don't play career mode at the moment, and the recent updates haven't had much for sandbox players, I can see, understand and support what Squad are doing with the game.

First was the basic simulation, so 'space travel' works. That gives us sandbox.

But Squad have always said they always wanted KSP to be a 'space tycoon' game, not a simulator, so that added science mode for a structure you can 'win'.

* I wanted to develop a logical sequence of missions, with appropriate, well designed, vehicles to tackle them, which I can in sandbox (link in signature).

* The HUGE problem with science mode is the tech-tree, especially starting with manned spaceflight before the wheel, ladder or anything else is invented.

Then Squad added career mode, with funds and contracts. Rather nice I think, since it gives a more-or-less sensible structure and progress to how you 'win'.

* I want to develop 'the best' vehicles I can and explore the parts and physics provided, which I can in sandbox.

* The HUGE problem with career mode is the tech-tree still.

Squad are now intending to add Kerbal skill and building experience, which may well be fun.

* I may well have done everything I want to in sandbox by then, so I'll start playing it.

* Unless there's this HUGE problem of a tech-tree that starts with manned rocketry.

TL;DR

- Squad is making KSP fun for gamers who want to jump into space and 'win' a game with explosions, moon-landings and a bit of somewhat-realistic simulation.

- I'm having loads of fun with the basic simulation and don't need to 'win' to feel I'm doing it right.

- Absolutely nothing Squad is doing is taking-away my ability to have fun and is only adding options for those that want them - including me when I want them.

- In any case, zero-niner is intended to revisit the things sandbox players like to mess around with.

- So I'm very happy, even if 0.24 and 0.25 didn't add much for me personally.

Once again I've reached the point where I have completed the tech tree and have more money than I could ever spend (and ways to make more), so I'll be sticking with career mode until either the save is eaten by the Kraken or I want to start over; it's basically sandbox right now.

That's my main save though; I complete any challenges I take part in and test random things in a sandbox save, because most of them seem to end in explosions and some are fairly expensive :P

I've enjoyed all of the updates I've seen (started with .18). I play career mostly. The last couple play through's I've limited myself to not transmit science (except Eve surface science). All science has been brought back to Kerbin and recovered. It makes for a much more challenging game.

I agree that there is always a minority that complain with each release. Although there is some legitimate negative feedback (mostly bugs), IMO the majority of complaints after an update are from players complaining about a specific playing style, players who wanted a specific feature (feasible or not), and players set in their ways and don't like a change (parts replaced/updated).

IMO some of the trouble stems from experienced players losing sight of the fact that Squad has to develop the game to appeal to a broad spectrum of players, both beginner and experts. And as of .25 I think they've done a pretty good job of maintaining that balance.

I play career as the first chapter of a campaign, then continue it in what is essentially sandbox mode. I like the challenge of achieving missions with a limited selection of parts, and then move on to having free access to all the parts to build my ambitious missions.

I think alot of the particularly noisy complaints are much ado about nothing. Does career mode feel a tad unfinished? yes. Does it need a balance/polish pass on a few key areas? definitely. Is it still fun dispite being not quite there yet? Yep, passes the fun test for me. I do think that some of the stratagies need a bit of tweaking as a few are a bit too powerful. On the other hand some of the changes slated for the next version may limit those powerful ones to endgame, may make them a bit better. I also think that the launchpad and runway need to have their durability upped a bit so they dont spontaneously combust to normal usage. I'm also one of those that thinks the tech tree could be rearanged to have a bit more logic behind it.

Still all those issues are polish/balance problems. It would be one thing if the devs pulled a DF9 and said thats it were done, heres the tools to fix it yourselves. Considering the moding comunity this game has KSP might survive that kind of crap but it would be a blow. However since the game is still in development and some of these systems have slowly been coming together over the last few patches I expect that many problems will be resolved as the game marches on to a release state. Thats the nature of development, sometimes you have to put in systems that start out only half funtional and broken so you can build on them later (or figure out now that they dont work so they can be redone)

I play career most of the time and I am more or less hapy with it. I play sandbox to try new mods and decide if I want them in career mode.

A little more balancing in some areas would be nice, but it's enjoyable right now. I've posted quite a few comments on things that I think need some polishing, but in general I am quite happy with the direction the game develops. Aside from the very few pointless crying I do like the open criticism at the forum as I see it as an important source of feedback. But I agree with the op that the many things that are done well not always get the deserved attention.

The new post on what's planned till 1.0 was a real relief tbh, as it showed many features I was hoping for. I was afraid some may not make it into the stock game, but now I am pretty excited and thankfull for tje transparency

Edited by prophet_01

From what I've seen, some people just can't have a good day if they're not complaining about things. I've seen people on Steam blow up because the "game isn't 1.0 yet, and it should be, Squad should just call it done so I can buy a complete game!"... Seriously. Someone said this. Call it 1.0 now, so that its "done" and that one person can buy a 'complete' game. Other people seem to be upset because some specific thing *they* wanted is not a priority for Squad. Or because, how dare they, they consider the sandbox of the game complete and have different priorities.

I'm delighted Squad is making the game in *their* vision. If they bowed down to vociferous opinions on the forum, we'd end up with a game no one wanted to play. I've seen it happen.

I'm delighted Squad is making the game in *their* vision. If they bowed down to vociferous opinions on the forum, we'd end up with a game no one wanted to play. I've seen it happen.

This......a thousand times this. I have talked to some people I know that are working on a game (not from SQUAD) that sums it up nicely: "Players thinks they know what they want, but when they get everything they want they are even more up happy".

I almost never play sandbox and I'm loving career mode. The only problem really is that I've played so much I'm starting to feel like I've done everything. Hopefully now that they're entering "beta" we'll start getting more to do when we reach the places we send our guys.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the new career elements. I have played only in career since it was implemented (aside from a short break to blow up the entire KSC. mwahaha) and now the new difficulty settings along with the new admin building finally bring everything together into a cohesive "tycoon" type game. I am stoked about the upcoming beta phase where all of the different areas will finally receive the balancing and tweaking needed to wrap this game up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.