Origin of the name "Pol".

Whirligig Girl

Obviously KSP has a few mixed in sci-fi references in it's names for the planets. EVE Online, perhaps? Now, I remember when they were showing off Pol on a livestream over two years ago (The old KerbalSP official Channel on Twitch, not KSPTV). They didn't know what to call it, but someone suggested that it looked like pollen. Later, they announced that they named it Pol. Perhaps there is another reason why. HERE is an article on the Atomic Rockets website. Scroll down to "Used Spacecraft Yard" section and you will find that one of the characters in this old SF story written by Heinlein was named Pollux, shortened to "Pol". I just thought that was an interesting tidbit that I could share.

Also, shows proof that I'm a KSP Veteran because I remember that ancient livestream!

If you're a veteran for remembering that livestream, what does that make me for remembering when the Mun was released... and when they released the persistence feature... and where they first released the patched conics system to help us get to that Mun xD

During the live stream someone said it looked like a pollen grain, who I guess was Capt'n Skunky. I suggested they name it Pollen in the chat, and someone in the stream said that's a good idea. After the stream, a thread was made about what to name it, and it all revolved around the word pollen. We didn't hear anything else about its name until .18 was released, and it was called Pol.

I've always taken pride in knowing I was the one who suggested Pollen which became Pol, but now that I know it was Capt'n Skunky who mentioned what it looked like before and sparked the idea, I believe it is his doing :)

Edited by swiftgates24

Obviously KSP has a few mixed in sci-fi references in it's names for the planets. EVE Online, perhaps? Now, I remember when they were showing off Pol on a livestream over two years ago (The old KerbalSP official Channel on Twitch, not KSPTV). They didn't know what to call it, but someone suggested that it looked like pollen. Later, they announced that they named it Pol. Perhaps there is another reason why. HERE is an article on the Atomic Rockets website. Scroll down to "Used Spacecraft Yard" section and you will find that one of the characters in this old SF story written by Heinlein was named Pollux, shortened to "Pol". I just thought that was an interesting tidbit that I could share.

Also, shows proof that I'm a KSP Veteran because I remember that ancient livestream!

Pollux! I know that beasty*! Good read. Awesome tie to sci-fi once again! Though probably not intended ;).

* Actually I'm referring to "lummox" so nvm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.