Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

2 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@John FX Post your configcache, yeah. Log too I guess.

I`m assuming MM.

Here it is. Apologies for the file hosting, I`ve yet to find one that I like after mediafire was banned from the forum

http://www.filedropper.com/modulemanager

I`ll load the game and run until past the issue. I`ve not saved with a disabled engine but I`ll launch the craft and post the log in a minute or two.

4 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@John FX OH WAIT. Are you staging to start the engine, or using action groups/right-click-activate? You need to stage it or the gimbal won't work.

AH! (lightbulb appears)

That explains a lot...

Yes. If that stops the gimbal working then it would seem to be the cause of my issue.

EDIT : It`s an odd bug though, is there any particular reason for that?

EDIT 2 : just staged the engine and now I have gimbal. Thank you

Edited by John FX

28 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Yep. I thought I fixed it for 1.0.5, but I clearly didn't test it right because I did not. Fixed for realz in 1.1 tho.

Ah, so does that mean that RO will work with 1.1 out of the box so to speak?

EDIT : Of course the way that the forum reacts to pretty much anything these days I`ll totally understand if you don`t reply to that, hehe.

Edited by John FX

Wait, what? How would RO work in 1.1 out of the box?

Oh, I see. No, I mean I fixed the stock issue where activating an engine manually did not activate the gimbal module. That has nothing to do with RO except that you were playing RO at the time you experienced it. It'll take a loooong time before RO is ready for 1.1.

On 11/3/2016 at 2:05 PM, UR-700 said:

Hello everyone. I looked everywhere and I did not find a mod for In-Situ Resource harvesters compatible with RO / RSS?

Or to make the stock parts like  (Convert-O-Tron 250, 'Drill-O-Matic' Mining Excavator) functional.

Thanks 

There isn't one yet, but these nice people are working on it.

Is there an all-encompassing list of mods supported by RO? :) Asking because I went looking for something different from regular KSP after seeing a modded version and thought RO would be a good place to start out - but I can't seem to find out whether I can keep Mechjeb or if that will cause compatibility problems in the game.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Wait, what? How would RO work in 1.1 out of the box?

Oh, I see. No, I mean I fixed the stock issue where activating an engine manually did not activate the gimbal module. That has nothing to do with RO except that you were playing RO at the time you experienced it. It'll take a loooong time before RO is ready for 1.1.

Ah I see. It`s only because I have to now be careful about the number of ignitions I do that meant I didn`t allow MJ to stage the engine or I probably would never have encountered the bug.

Didn`t even consider it could be a stock bug. I haven`t played stock in so long that if I encounter a bug I just assume it`s a mod...

I`ll not hold my breath for RO after 1.1 drops, hehe.

Hmmm, I have seemed to have run into a problem. I'm not sure what mod causes the different engine versions, so I'll ask here and at least someone might point me in the right direction. I upgraded the engines on my boosters to a better version, but it appears that only ONE engine actually upgrades. That is the engine on one booster upgrades leaving the other booster with the old version. Is this a known issue and if so is there some way to work around it? I'm driving myself bonkers this rocket.

What mod adds the really nice realistic textures to engines? In my 1.0.4 RO install most of the engines had really great textures but now that I upgraded to 1.0.5 there are none. the AJ-10 is now a REALLY over sized stock Ant engine and the RD-0105 is a LV-909..... these are just a few. Can someone please tell me what mod changes this?

3 hours ago, Bluegillbronco2 said:

What mod adds the really nice realistic textures to engines? In my 1.0.4 RO install most of the engines had really great textures but now that I upgraded to 1.0.5 there are none. the AJ-10 is now a REALLY over sized stock Ant engine and the RD-0105 is a LV-909..... these are just a few. Can someone please tell me what mod changes this?

Ven's Stock Part Revamp

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/vens-part-revamp?gameCategorySlug=ksp-mods&projectID=223941

I'm a new KSP user and I have problems with RO installation. The game stops loading RealismOverhaul/Parts/WACCorporal/TinyTim/TinyTim/TinyTim

I used list from this thread to install mandatory mods only. Maybe it's not complete?

The last bits of log shows some warnings. Entries below [LOG 20:44:38.749] *RF* Loading RFSETTINGS global settings added then I press close window button.

[LOG 20:44:38.505] PartLoader: Loading part database
[LOG 20:44:38.506] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/DoubleWasp/DoubleWasp-R280065W'
[ERR 20:44:38.510] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngine/model' as model does not exist

[ERR 20:44:38.510] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 20:44:38.510] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 20:44:38.510] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 20:44:38.510] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/M63/ShvetsovM63'
[ERR 20:44:38.510] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngine2blades/model' as model does not exist

[LOG 20:44:38.510] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/M82/ShvetsovM82'
[ERR 20:44:38.510] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngineElectric/model' as model does not exist

[LOG 20:44:38.510] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/MercuryIX/MercuryIX'
[ERR 20:44:38.510] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngine2blades/model' as model does not exist

[ERR 20:44:38.511] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 20:44:38.511] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 20:44:38.511] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 20:44:38.511] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/MercuryXV/MercuryXV'
[ERR 20:44:38.511] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngine2blades/model' as model does not exist

[LOG 20:44:38.511] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/TwinCyclone/TwinCyclone-R2600-23'
[ERR 20:44:38.511] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngine/model' as model does not exist

[LOG 20:44:38.511] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/TwinCyclone7/TwinCyclone-R2600-7'
[ERR 20:44:38.511] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Firespitter/Parts/Engine/FS_PropellerEngine/model' as model does not exist

[LOG 20:44:38.511] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AJE/Parts/Props/TwinWasp94/TwinWasp-R1830-94'

[LOG 20:44:38.511] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/cone_chute/RC_cone'
[LOG 20:44:38.523] EffectList: Created 13 effect types
[WRN 20:44:38.530] PartLoader Warning: Variable RSSROConfig not found in Part
[LOG 20:44:38.551] [RealChute]: Loading settings file.
[LOG 20:44:38.592] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/cone_double_chute/RC_cone_double'
[WRN 20:44:38.595] PartLoader Warning: Variable RSSROConfig not found in Part
[LOG 20:44:38.608] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/radial_chute/RC_radial'
[WRN 20:44:38.615] PartLoader Warning: Variable RSSROConfig not found in Part
[LOG 20:44:38.638] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealChute/Parts/stack_chute/RC_stack'
[WRN 20:44:38.641] PartLoader Warning: Variable RSSROConfig not found in Part
[LOG 20:44:38.654] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealismOverhaul/Parts/NoseconeCockpit/Nosecone_cockpit/RP0Nose-Cockpit'
[WRN 20:44:38.659] PartLoader Warning: Variable RSSROConfig not found in Part
[LOG 20:44:38.684] [MFS] Loading global settings
[WRN 20:44:38.703] [MFS] Ignored duplicate definition of TANK of type Hydrogen
[ERR 20:44:38.716] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleKrEjectPilot'

[ERR 20:44:38.718] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleSPU'

[ERR 20:44:38.718] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleRTAntennaPassive'

[LOG 20:44:38.737] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'RealismOverhaul/Parts/WACCorporal/TinyTim/TinyTim/TinyTim'
[WRN 20:44:38.739] [ShipConstruct for TinyTim]: part cost (1.0) is less than the cost of its resources (1.1)
[WRN 20:44:38.739] PartLoader Warning: Variable RSSROConfig not found in Part
[LOG 20:44:38.749] *RF* Loading RFSETTINGS global settings
[LOG 20:44:38.750] *U* Ullage constructor called on TinyTim
[ERR 20:44:38.751] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ReflectiveShaderModule'

[EXC 20:44:38.776] MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ModuleEngines.Flameout'.
    RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.GetThrustInfo ()
    RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.GetInfo ()
    PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part)
    PartLoader+��.MoveNext ()

Full log: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/abishai/a2fee861c2a5e4aa0709/raw/e99e8b91ff1bfe14520b46c4b3b4b8093bc1e17a/ksp.log

Any suggestions?

Edited by abi

@Einkleinermensch the background processing mod maybe?

52 minutes ago, abi said:

I'm a new KSP user and I have problems with RO installation. The game stops loading RealismOverhaul/Parts/WACCorporal/TinyTim/TinyTim/TinyTim

I used list from this thread to install mandatory mods only. Maybe it's not complete?

Any suggestions?

Update KSP. You missed the patch to 1.0.5. Redownload KSP from wherever you downloaded it, and ensure that the build in BuildID.txt is 1028 or above.

I have a question about the realism of the tonnage limitation of some of the avionics packages.  It would seem to me that if it's just a computer system, why does it care how much mass the vessel has?  I did some reading on the Saturn V avionics package, and the only time it mentioned a mass limitation was when it said it needed to support the weight of what was above it (IIRC). Is having tonnage limitations just a game balancing mechanism?  Also, it seems that MechJeb can work around it.  While I can't turn on RCS or directly control steering inputs while the craft is "locked", I can still use MechJeb to change my orientation, and even use tie my RCS ports to the throttle.

Well, you'll notice that the Saturn IU's tonnage limitation is very, very high. However, the Saturn IU was notable for being pretty much the first digital guidance unit there was. So it's modeled as a very capable (but not infinitely capable) computer. Earlier guidance was generally analog, and based off stage-specific input. Then things are much more limited.

In the end though, you're not wrong: tonnage is a proxy, and not a great proxy, for the difficulty of controlling a vessel. It was chosen because it's a very easy proxy for people to understand and for us to implement.

12 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Well, you'll notice that the Saturn IU's tonnage limitation is very, very high. However, the Saturn IU was notable for being pretty much the first digital guidance unit there was. So it's modeled as a very capable (but not infinitely capable) computer. Earlier guidance was generally analog, and based off stage-specific input. Then things are much more limited.

In the end though, you're not wrong: tonnage is a proxy, and not a great proxy, for the difficulty of controlling a vessel. It was chosen because it's a very easy proxy for people to understand and for us to implement.

It`s a shame it would be too hard to have probe cores that can only control up to a certain tech level of engines and so forth rather than a tonnage but tonnage works well enough.

Well back to the reason I am posting. Just came to see if anyone else is having issues with procedural fuel tanks and the types of fuels that go in to them. I first noticed that radially attached tanks were not showing the fuel levels while the centre one was but didn`t think it a problem. I noticed an extra issue, although it seems connected, which is no way to remove tanks on some proc fuel tanks. The larger cylinder at the top can show the GUI with the `remove tanks` option. I made a couple of screenshots, can make more. I can post whatever logs would help also. Wasn`t sure whether to post here, realfuels or proc parts. Is this thread the right place?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.