Computers

xXIndestructibleEVAXx

I don't know where to put this, so I'll just plop it here.

Anyways, I'm going to get a PC. Right now, I'm on a horrible laptop that can barely run stock KSP. However, I have found a PC that looks like it could be good, but I'm asking you guys to tell me. So, could this run KSP with 30+ mods?

Specs:Windows 8.1 64

AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD 8400 Graphics (2 GHz, 2 MB cache)

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (1 x 8 GB)

So, is this worth the $460 price, to run KSP/ other games?

No. It's not a 'beefy' computer. It's a sidegrade, maybe a very slight upgrade to your horrible laptop. Sorry. Also, there is a thread in this forum for PC building/buying tips :)

Description of the CPU from CPUBoss:

"The AMD A6 5200 is a mobile processor chip that’s based on the Bobcat architecture and was presented in the second quarter of 2013. It’s a quad core processor, with each core clocked at 2.0GHz, with no option for overclocking. The chip also includes an integrated Radeon HD 8400 GPU that’s clocked at 600MHz. Currently the A6 5200 is best suited for 14-inch, or bigger, laptops and notebooks which are expected to be able to handle everyday tasks- like Office, Internet browsing, and even older and less-demanding games- however more recent games may prove to be a challenge to this processor."

8GB of ram is enough for gaming these days, although a 1x8GB stick isn't optimal.

Edited by swiftgates24

Um, I am by no means an expert, but I think not. That CPU has pretty low performance per core, which makes it not good for KSP. It is not a very good cpu in general, and I doubt you'd bet much performance out of it.

Your graphics card would probably work for KSP, just minimally.

Give me a second and I'll try to look up a better computer.

Your graphics card would probably work for KSP, just minimally.

The GPU is integrated into the CPU and is very poor. This laptop has Intel HD Graphics 4000, which is slightly better than that integrated GPU, and at half res in KSP, no AA, I get 9 fps. It simply won't do.

Edited by swiftgates24

Is this a laptop? If it's a desktop, you should get either an Intel Core i5-4000 series processor or an AMD FX-8350 for the CPU. As for the GPU, an Nvidia GTX 750 or AMD Radeon 7770 should do the trick. These are the most cost effective options I can think of.

I bought my computer for $600 CAD and it has an FX-8350, Radeon 7770, and 10GB of RAM.

Edited by Giggleplex777

Oh... well... then... *sigh* so much for a PC. thats the cheapest computer on the website that doesn't look like it's complete garbage (judging by the specs, I'm no expert)

Also, this laptop has an Intel® HD graphics. looks like I'll have to find a new PC on the website...

- - - Updated - - -

No, the specs I listed are for a 460$ desktop

You can always build your own. I've only built 2 and replaced parts in 3 but it's pretty easy. For 450-600 USD you can build something that can run KSP for sure. Maybe not on max settings but depending on whether or not you have stuff running in the background all the time you could run quite a few mods.

nah, can't build one, don't know how or have the time. I looked up the CPU on a website, rated a 4. looked up the Graphics card, got a two. Could it run ksp with, say, KSP, Renassaince Pack?

It is really easy to build a computer. Just look up a couple labelled pictures and plug things in. The literal hardest part is making the cables neat, otherwise it just takes some time. It is fine to build it over the period of a month, which is what I essentially did, so you can spend all of the time you lag in KSP on your laptop building a computer better than any you can buy. There is tons of help on the forum too.

Here's something that might work : http://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-Ultra-GUA880-Desktop/dp/B0089KDCIU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1414204989&sr=1-1&keywords=desktop

Graphics card sucks, but should be able to play KSP fine. Something that you can upgrade for 170 bucks later and have a good gaming rig.

Yes, that looks like a good system.

Edited by ZedNova

Would it work with the Rennaisance pack? I tried that on my laptp, got 3 fps

I honestly can't say for sure, I've never used it so i can't tell you how much of a performance hit it makes. Likely you'll lose 10 frames or more, but that's a guesstimate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.