Planning to start a collection of small part pack mods [Dev build available (V0.1)]

Orionkermin

Anyway I'm planning to start a sort of collection of themed mini part packs that will all be found in one thread. This way I can sort of work on new stuff in a more compact one off way. My first little pack is funny enough, a true 1.25m Gemini analogue. This won't be a replacement for the radish from HGR, but will give people an alternative if they don't want to invest in a whole new part size. This has been nice, for my comeback to modding as well, since it isn't huge and overwhelming. It's also given me a chance to get the style down that I want to move towards with HGR. The plan is to fall somewhere between stock and other popular mods, so that my parts will go well with pretty much anything.

Anyway, this is still pretty WIP especially with texturing, but it's starting to come together and I thought I'd show it off a bit to see what people would say. Note these screenshots are from different points in development and may not 100% represent the current build.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is still a work in progress and a few things still need to be done before an official release:

1) The textures still need a bit more refining, namely the paneling could use some patina and the pod's windows and emissive could use some work.

2) The lifting engine I've planned is in it's 3rd incarnation and is currently untextured and thus not included in the Dev build.

3) Realchute and RPM cfgs. are planned but not available yet.

4) Probably other stuff based on the feedback I get.

Download the Dev Build

Version 0.1

To install this extract the GameData folder into your Kerbal Space Program directory. Allow the contents to merge if it asks.

FAQ:

Q: Why is HGR in here I don't want it!

A: Because I only have limited time to work on my modding and HGR includes a bunch of props that I'm reusing so I don't have to remake them. The props are all that's included in this, however.

Q: Why aren't the parts loading?

A: Make sure you install it correctly, I use a lot of texture sharing and that requires proper paths to work. Snack Pack and HGR should be in your GameData directory.

Q: Can you make/add ______________?

A: Sorry but this is meant as a simple pack and I neither want to take the time to make alternate versions of things or flood this with too many parts. Feel free to make suggestions or requests, just don't get upset if I don't do them.

Legal:

For the time being this mod is licensed as all rights reserved.

Edited by Orionkermin

Geminurcury? :)

(Mercuri?)

GUMBERCULES! He's my favorite.

But really the more traditional style gemini nose didn't look right. The pod was too small, anyway the pos and nose are seperate bits so no reason you couldn't use .625m parts for a more cylindrical look.

Funny enough I'd like to make a pack with some mercury bits too. As well as an Apollo CSM at some point.

What some guy does is neither here nor there. I'll get back to you.

Here is a rough model of a Kerbal for reference.

edit.

The IVA for the stock 1.25m pod is larger than 1.25, so if you've used that same scale then it would be larger inside. AFAIK, all stock IVA are 1.25 times larger on the inside for some reason.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

*shrug* I trust the guy with the modeling experience. Besides; i'm willing to suspend some belief in a game about launching little green men into orbit typically whilst grinning/screaming in terror. :D

*shrug* I trust the guy with the modeling experience. Besides; i'm willing to suspend some belief in a game about launching little green men into orbit typically whilst grinning/screaming in terror. :D

To Cpt's credit he's probably got more experience than me. But, thank you all the same. The model is the same diameter as the exterior in unity when I export. If KSP is changing thing behind the scenes when I export then I've never seen any documentation on it doing that.

Edit: I should note that I've done this IVA the same way as all my others and they seem to line up just fine. Maybe, tomorrow when I have KSP time again I'll do some testing with transparent textures and see what I can find out. either way the pod will get made all the same, I'd just like to know if there really is funny buisness going on.

Edited by Orionkermin

Yup the kerbs have some remarkable properties and being scalable or compress able is one of the more amazing, it's possible to fit them in some tiny spaces that under no circumstances could a creature not created out of pixels could fit in.

Do what you want it's your model, if anyone else likes it thats cool , and apparently many already do, and those that want everything just perfect to suit them can look elsewhere. Put me in the I like it column, especially as you've gone for your own IVA instead of trying to fit something generic in there

My first little pack is funny enough, a true 1.25m Gemini analogue.

http://imgur.com/a/cN4jI

Really liking this :D

Huh? Aren't those 1.25m parts? You can't fit two kerbals inside a 1.25m cylinder.

You totally can, as OrionKerman mentions, with the condition they don't wear helmets.

Here is IVA for one of my pods (a 2 seater one) and the stock one.

22a527b81d.jpg

The stock ones are built around 1.5 scale from the start, there is no funny scaling stuff going on behind the scenes (as far as I know) when the assets are loaded in game.

Edited by Beale

Really liking this :D

You totally can, as OrionKerman mentions, with the condition they don't wear helmets.

Here is IVA for one of my pods (a 2 seater one) and the stock one.

http://puu.sh/cu6OH/22a527b81d.jpg

The stock ones are built around 1.5 scale from the start, there is no funny scaling stuff going on behind the scenes (as far as I know) when the assets are loaded in game.

That's really funny. I always thought the stock IVAs just felt roomy because they never cram in too many kerbals at a time. The biggest issue for me is that you don't get a lot of head room in tiny pods and kerbals eyes are so low... Hard to get good visibility.

I've redesigned the nose to look much more gemini, I think it looks a lot better now. I'll post some pics when I'm home again.

I'd also like some help, from the community, with coming up with an appropriate name. Right now I've been calling it Kermini in my files, but that seems awefull generic.

Names? Let me come up with something off the top of my head...

"Twinmini" could be interesting. An obvious mashup of "twin" and "mini" with a subtle nod to the original capsule's name. Sheesh, I sound like I'm selling a car or a beverage or something...

And part models have rescaleFactor = 1 in config now, meaning that at the end of the day if what you said is accurate then IVA are still 1.5 times larger inside. I actually think it's more like 1.25 judging roughly by the mu files I imported. IIRC earlier stock parts were scaled up in the cfg, but it looks like they fixed the mesh itself now.

The parts in this thread have a different shape so maybe there's more room. Really I should have just asked OP from the beginning what rescaleFactor they're using for the part exterior.

When it comes to the small stock black pod IVA though, if it were to scale, there's barely enough room to fit two kerbals, like pilchards in a can, and no room left for the seat and leg rests, etc. And that's not even taking into account the thickness of walls. I checked using that model I linked to earlier, without the helmet, legs folded to the right angle and a conservatively small head that I added myself.

Just be aware of it.

For the name maybe "Minigemini" or "Geminimini"

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Castores?

Pod Mk2?

Kore 2 Duo?

BlackCone?

Miata? (Tiny two seater fun-mobile)

...It's rather late at night, my brain is struggling to come up with other suggestions... I'll be back later on :D

Edited by komodo

Castores?

Pod Mk2?

Kore 2 Duo?

BlackCone?

Miata? (Tiny two seater fun-mobile)

...It's rather late at night, my brain is struggling to come up with other suggestions... I'll be back later on :D

Funny enough I had thought about calling it either Castor or Pollux, but I didn't find that it got quite right for a spacecraft name.

How does Ursamini or Ursa-mini sound. This way it uses mini which seems to be a popular convention for it and it sounds like a real constellation without actually being one. Thoughts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.