Scratch style Action groups

now, for those of you who do not know what scratch is,it's a graphic building block style programming language.

look here: http://scratch.mit.edu/

so around the forums lately there's been a hubbub all about programmable autopilots and the sort, and I doubt anything of that kind will ever get into the stock game.

currently, action groups do only one thing and one thing only- that is, trigger actions at the press of a button.

now, this is handy and all, great for doing exactly that, but when some sort of chain is needed, then this is where the system lacks.

for instance, say you want a probe's solar panels to deploy, then 5 seconds later to have its engines fire up to 75% for 10 seconds then shut off.

now, in the stock game you would have to assign '1' to the solar panel, wait 5 seconds later throttle up to 75% and wait 10 seconds.

but say it were easier.

using the scratch node stule it could go something like this:

jCBx90F.png

you see how easy that is?

that achieves all of what is needed with just 8 commands. KSP could teach programming as well as all of the other thing it does, not to mention the insane utility of this setup!

Edited by ZodiaK

Sal. I don't think self-interest is a valid reason a thread should be stickied.

Naughty.

(But I don't deny that this would be extremely useful.)

Edited by sal_vager
It's every bit a valid reason :p

thanks for stickying!! for another example of this idea, here is a semi-auto orbiter.

OLKPxEG.png

here, when the '1' key is pressed, the craft points to HDG 90, 0 and waits a second before throttling to 100%. it waits until the periaps is above 70km, and throttles down. this shows dynamic situations sensing, where it does something based on a certain variable, in this case cutting off throttle when the periaps is above 70km.

Oh yes please! Then I can finally do this:

when abort key pressed

open bay

wait 2 secs

decouple missile

fire missile

wait 1 secs

close bay

(Opens bay, fires missile, closes bay)

Bit like this, but in ksp I can't close the bay, obviously, cause physics :P

Missile-launch-rail.gif

Oh yes please! Then I can finally do this:

when abort key pressed

open bay

wait 2 secs

decouple missile

fire missile

wait 1 secs

close bay

(Opens bay, fires missile, closes bay)

Bit like this, but in ksp I can't close the bay, obviously, cause physics :P

http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Missile-launch-rail.gif

here is your script (where 'm' is placeholding for abort)

JS069e0.png

(700th post!)

I go to the scratch website, open the editor and create a few variables (throttle, periaps, apoapsis etc.) and put them in place. then, I make a few custom blocks (open bay doors, deploy solar panels, stage etc.) and fit it all together.

here's a munar transfer script:

i0AYzAY.png

Edited by ZodiaK

If something like this is implemented, the player should be able to write the code outside the game using their favorite tools. Mouse-driven interfaces like this can be nice for beginners, but they become slow, annoying, and restrictive, once the user knows what they're doing.

I don't like this and don't think it ought to have been stickied. For the former because it adds complexity to things that newbies already have a hard time understanding and for the latter because conflict of interest anyone?

I like Vens Stock Part Revamp, but do you see me clamouring to sticky it? I've been a forum mod before and stickying this out of personal interest is out of line, tsk tsk. Anyway, this just seems to, as I said, add complexity to simple things. It's action groups, you press a button and something happens, that's how it should remain. You're already adjusting throttle to X for Y seconds, why not 'Execute Node' or 'Accelerate Until Vertical Speed = 0' - hooray, orbit achieved with little to no manual input. Why don't we just bundle MJ with KSP if this becomes a thing..

Not overly enthusiastic about the idea and less than happy about the stickying :huh:

EDIT: That said.. this is just basically kOS, but assigned to action groups. Hell, if I wanted KOS, I'd download it. If this absolutely has to be something that must be added to stock in the next available update, I sure hope it's something unrelated to AGs. Unlockable tech tree part or something, I don't care - my AGs are full up enough as it is with Open Solar Panels and Toggle Intakes And Engines and Toggle Either Separately and Do Science and Toggle Torque etc etc.. I don't want an autopilot cluttering that up.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Saying you can use this to make autopilot so MJ might as well be bundled with stock is like saying that you can use the VAB to go to space so you might as well just install hyperedit.

EDIT:

GtQjJGn.png

Quick and dirty autopilot to ascend to orbit.

Edited by Holo

What sort of conflict of interest? Is Squad associated with Scratch somehow?

No, but Mod A likes idea and has the power to promote/sticky it, giving it unfair attention and prominence. And oh look, that's what happened.

con′flict of in′terest, n. : a conflict between the private interests [wanting this kind of thing to be stock] and the official responsibilities [not/stickying threads of value] of a person in a position of trust [a forum moderator]. Or, the circumstance of a public officeholder, corporate officer, etc., whose personal interests might benefit from his or her official actions or influence.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Sorry, I just don't see a thread getting stickied because the mod thinks it's a good idea is a conflict. All the threads featured in Threads of the Month are threads the mod likes, that how it works.

Let's say I'm a mod. I sticky every thread that I like - no doubt some people would disagree with me, a lot of people would think that I was unfairly promoting stuff that I myself wanted rather than what the community as a whole wanted.. Yeah, one mod thinks it's a good idea - what makes their opinion any more important or valid than anyone elses? You know, Dominos Pizza got its name from one of it's part time delivery drivers in the early days. I've seen loads of excellent ideas from forum members that haven't been stickied, why is this any different? Oh yeah, that's right - because one mod likes it. Oh ok then, then yeah, it totally deserves prime space and being stickied for an undefined amount of time. Sorry, I didn't realise that that one mod's opinion is the decider on valid ideas.

Apologies for sarcasm, this has really got my goat.

Saying you can use this to make autopilot so MJ might as well be bundled with stock is like saying that you can use the VAB to go to space so you might as well just install hyperedit.

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/GtQjJGn.png

Quick and dirty autopilot to ascend to orbit.

That one is nice... looks like a LEGO Mindstorms version of most of my KOS launcher programs, almost.

I'd support this for sure. Please!

Let's say I'm a mod. I sticky every thread that I like - no doubt some people would disagree with me, a lot of people would think that I was unfairly promoting stuff that I myself wanted rather than what the community as a whole wanted.. Yeah, one mod thinks it's a good idea - what makes their opinion any more important or valid than anyone elses? You know, Dominos Pizza got its name from one of it's part time delivery drivers in the early days. I've seen loads of excellent ideas from forum members that haven't been stickied, why is this any different? Oh yeah, that's right - because one mod likes it. Oh ok then, then yeah, it totally deserves prime space and being stickied for an undefined amount of time. Sorry, I didn't realise that that one mod's opinion is the decider on valid ideas.

Apologies for sarcasm, this has really got my goat.

Having the thread stickied is hardly deciding the idea is valid. The threads of the month just highlight some of the good threads that stand out from the rest (and the timeframe they're stickied is defined, it's a month). I'm sure you've noticed that most of the threads in Suggestions and Development Discussion fall into a few categories:

- Features on the WNTS list

- More parts, more contracts, more science, more planets, more of something already in the stock game

- Bugfixes

- Add my favorite mod to stock

- Discussion about feature on WNTS list (apparently it's fine if it's only a discussion)

This thread is not any of those, it's a fresh idea for a new feature that hasn't been suggested a dozen times. I'm OK with it being stickied for a while because it's more interesting than the average thread here.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.