Do you like broccoli and other vegetables?

bartekkru99

I'll only eat broccoli if it's got a ton of cheese sauce on it.

I'll eat most other vegetables depending on what they're in/on, Mushrooms, olives, carrots, celery ect.

I'll eat potatoes and corn no matter how it's prepared.

Broccoli is lovely, but only if cooked properly. I tend to steam it for about ten minutes leaving it slightly crunchy. Same with sprouts although if you haven't haven't tasted sprouts fresh off the stalk after a period of frost you don't really know just how good sprouts can be.

I'm still a kid (15), but I was always eating almost all the veggies. There's one thing that I don't like to eat very much - tomatoes, but only when there's no salt on them, they are okay for me I they are salted.

P.S. I'm making a crystal radio for a physics project, does anybody know, what kind of earphone I shoul use, I can't find any piezoelectric ones on Polish web-stores.

I like most vegetables. Asparagus, green bell peppers, and squash are about the only ones I don't like.

I blame my father. Half of our backyard was a garden, so we were always eating fresh vegetables when I was growing up. There's nothing like a fresh homegrown tomato.

There's nothing like a fresh homegrown tomato.

That is so true. My mother kept a small greenhouse when I was a boy and there is simply no comparison between a store-bought tomato and one just picked.

Corn is the same, and so surprisingly is bacon (not a veggie I know, but another case where fresh is much better than store bought).

I've been able to get my kids hooked on the usual retinue of gross vegetables by roasting pretty much everything. 400 deg for 19 minutes, with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder--it's actually quite good. The more gross a vegetable is when you steam it, the better it is when you roast it--broccoli and brutal sprouts are our two favorites.

I never was a picky eater, but used to be a meat guy. When I started living on my own I learnt to appreciate vegetables a little more and even started a little garden. That's a bit hard to do with a cow. Broccoli is a sure favorite, but green beans, carrots, rugola and more too. I make sure to eat about 150-200 grams of it a day (I believe that is about 12-14 baby roof tiles in the imperial system), plus two or three tomatoes. When prepared in a decent way they can be really nice, but you also need those vitamins and minerals. Can't live on meat and fat alone. Well, you can, but don't expect to thrive.

Broccoli is especially nice with some tagliatelle (or other pasta), chicken and musterd cream sauce. When you boil the broccoli so that it is still slightly crunchy and coherent, the musterd sauce will get all over and up in those flowery bits. Amazing taste, easy to make, not expensive at all and really healthy too. Add some aforementioned tomatoes and it will have a neat colour palette - we also eat with our eyes.

If people are interested I can write up the recipe; it's something I adapted myself.

Baby corn from one of those cans.... I don't know if you can call those vegetables, but they have got to be one of my favorites.

Corn can be pretty sugary, but is a vegetable for sure. Just make sure you vary enough.

I have a hard time trusting anyone that actually enjoys broccoli. I know different strokes for different folks, it takes all kinds to make a world & numerous other clichés, but liking broccoli is just going too far. Cauliflower is equally disgusting.

Sugar snap peas are probably my favourite green vegetable. Cabbage can be quite nice too when cooked properly. All served with butter, of course.

I have a hard time trusting anyone that actually enjoys broccoli.

It surprises me so many people dislike broccoli. I know a lot of people dislike brussel sprouts, and though I really enjoy those too I can imagine that being a little more of an acquired taste, but broccoli? With its lush green goodness and firm, strong trunk? Just look at that thing:

Broccoli.jpg

Like what was said before, most people don't like vegetables because they are used to them being cooked wrong.

For example; Brussels sprouts only need to cook for 5 to 10 minutes. The tricks is to use a pan with a lot of water, so that when you add the sprouts to the boiling water it keeps boiling.

This is important to keep a short the cooking time. If you can stick a knife in the stem it's done.

But you can also fry them in a crispy jacket, cook them in a wok, steam, grill or sauté them.

It surprises me so many people dislike broccoli. I know a lot of people dislike brussel sprouts, and though I really enjoy those too I can imagine that being a little more of an acquired taste, but broccoli? With its lush green goodness and firm, strong trunk? Just look at that thing:

I actually don't mind Brussels sprouts, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them. Broccoli is just a new level of terrible. The taste, texture, smell and probably sound of it is all repulsive.

I also wouldn't trust someone who likes uncooked green peppers. They're supposed to be red/orange/yellow you fool; let them ripen!

Most people grow to dislike vegetables thanks to having them poorly cooked throughout their youth, but most veggies can be wonderful when shallow fried with bacon, roasted or baked with cheese :)

Or curried. Or cooked in a stew with lentils and plenty of herbs. Or stir-fried. Tons of stuff you can do with veg, very little of it involves boiling and using 'em as a side dish. :)

broccoli is one of those veggies that is just begging to be sauced. you drench it in sauce and it can hold on to it. this can be a cheese sauce, an herb sauce, whatever. im partial to stir frys myself. i have an asian sauce that works well with broccoli. muricans seem to think cooking veggies means opening a bag of frozen veggies and mindlessly boiling it. its no wonder kids dont eat them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.