[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

• 2 weeks later...

I often get an issue where there are sometimes no flares when switching to a craft in solar orbit. Additionally, when this occurs no mouseover text is shown when pointing at objects close enough to be rendered by stock, but still distant enough to normally have the text (situation: approaching Duna just outside its SOI, Ike visible but has no mouseover text, couldn't spot Kerbin or other planets)

Edited by Spheniscine

9 hours ago, Spheniscine said:

I often get an issue where there are sometimes no flares when switching to a craft in solar orbit. Additionally, when this occurs no mouseover text is shown when pointing at objects close enough to be rendered by stock, but still distant enough to normally have the text (situation: approaching Duna just outside its SOI, Ike visible but has no mouseover text, couldn't spot Kerbin or other planets)

I haven't run across that myself.  I'll need some additional info (what mods, maybe a copy of the KSP log).

Hm. I do have Kopernicus and KScale2. I'll post the logs if I manage to reproduce it; it's one of those annoying bugs that doesn't happen all the time.

edit: Yep, I'm having real trouble reproducing it. Tried switching between a couple satellites I have in solar orbit; and DOE worked perfectly fine each time.

Edited by Spheniscine

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Sorry if I overlooked it, but is there a way to disable that blacking out of the skybox when a planet or the sun is in the frame?

thanks

Daf

Yes, check the settings button in the tool bar. You don't like realism? =P

Edited by sardia

6 hours ago, Dafni said:

Cheers, I´ll have a better look then :rolleyes:

sure man, the mod is lovely! I enjoy it a lot actually. Its just for a specific screenshot.

Sun dimming is part of KSP, not this mod, so disabling dimming may not help if the sun's in view.

6 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Sun dimming is part of KSP, not this mod, so disabling dimming may not help if the sun's in view.

Hmm, I'll have to check this out. Its just that I started to notice it after I got into this mod, and yeah, it mentions this in the OP so I thought this is a good point to start.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

hey @MOARdV

would it be possible to add an option to have the planetary flares always on? (and, more importantly, would you be ok with it?)

they would still be hidden when the skybox is dimmed or stuff like that, but they would be on regardless of the agle they have in respect to the sun

I think this would be enough for mods that add new stars (like my GalacticNeighborhood) that right now are not really compatible with DoE :)

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

hey @MOARdV

would it be possible to add an option to have the planetary flares always on? (and, more importantly, would you be ok with it?)

I'd be fine with that as an option (a checkbox in the UI).  I don't plan on releasing updates until after KSP 1,1 is out, but if you want to open an issue on GitHub as a reminder, that'd be great.

5 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

I'd be fine with that as an option (a checkbox in the UI).  I don't plan on releasing updates until after KSP 1,1 is out, but if you want to open an issue on GitHub as a reminder, that'd be great.

sure, thanks :)

could the option be switched on using configs? like the colors of the flares for planets?

5 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

sure, thanks :)

could the option be switched on using configs? like the colors of the flares for planets?

As a per-planet config option?  If I remember the code right, that would be easy to do.  Any worlds orbiting those impostor stars will still be lit based on their distance from Kerbol, however. I'm not interested in adding a more complex lighting model (checking for multiple 'suns'), since that's way outside the normal user's configuration, and it's not a configuration I use, so I would have to have a configuration specifically for testing and maintaining it.

21 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

As a per-planet config option?  If I remember the code right, that would be easy to do.  Any worlds orbiting those impostor stars will still be lit based on their distance from Kerbol, however. I'm not interested in adding a more complex lighting model (checking for multiple 'suns'), since that's way outside the normal user's configuration, and it's not a configuration I use, so I would have to have a configuration specifically for testing and maintaining it.

whatever is easy to add, I don't want to ask complicated things.

I'll try to put some ideas in the github issue as soon as I create it :)

DoE v1.7.0 beta 1 for KSP 1.1 is now available on GitHub.  No new features, really - just all the under-the-hood fixes required to get it working with 1.1.

EDIT: Does anyone use the "VesselDraw" mode in DoE?  I'm not referring to the flares that can be drawn, but instead the code that duckytopia put in to draw vessels from outside the loading distance.  If it's not used much / at all, I am going to remove it, since I haven't done any maintenance on that code, and parts of it aren't compatible with 1.1 without a bit of effort.

Edited by MOARdV
Added question re: VesselDraw

20 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

DoE v1.7.0 beta 1 for KSP 1.1 is now available on GitHub.  No new features, really - just all the under-the-hood fixes required to get it working with 1.1.

EDIT: Does anyone use the "VesselDraw" mode in DoE?  I'm not referring to the flares that can be drawn, but instead the code that duckytopia put in to draw vessels from outside the loading distance.  If it's not used much / at all, I am going to remove it, since I haven't done any maintenance on that code, and parts of it aren't compatible with 1.1 without a bit of effort.

I believe the CactEye still uses it. It would be nice to have if not too much effort since I'd like to create an experiment involving taking pictures of vessels and bases. But if it is too much effort, maybe you could put hooks in place that would let me add that code back in. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Just now, Angel-125 said:

I believe the CactEye still uses it. It would be nice to have if not too much effort since I'd like to create an experiment involving taking pictures of vessels and bases. But if it is too much effort, maybe you could put hook in place that would let me add that code back in. :)

The main problem is that Squad has made the ModuleLandingGear obsolete, so the code that would show landing gear deployed / retracted won't work any more.  I haven't gone digging through configs to see how landing gear are supposed to work now, so maybe it's a minor thing to keep it working.  I just don't want to spend time on it if it's unused (*I* never used it).

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

TST only uses FlawDraw... never added VesselDraw.

8 hours ago, MOARdV said:

My two pennies...

Short term, do whatever you feel necessary to tidy up the code and get things functioning properly, even if it means chopping something out.

Long term, I really would like this feature to remain.

9 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Yes, this plus Camera Tools (and mechjeb) let me do this

I believe the altitude was in the 60km range by the time the video ends. I'm not saying keep it in now if it will delay the release, but please don't abandon that feature as a whole.

On Mittwoch, 2. März 2016 at 0:38 AM, MOARdV said:

-snip-

You should update the Thread-Title or put something in the Firstpost about the Prerelease-Beta you got on github. :)
Thank you for keeping this Mod alive. I cant live without it.

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

On 4/1/2016 at 6:45 PM, MOARdV said:

Yeah I always enable it, and it would be nice to keep :) 

However but I could live without it if you need to dump that code. Or take it out and see if someone else could pick that up in another mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.