[0.90] StarSystems v0.7 (Dec 15) - Under New Managment

medsouz

it was giving me a bunch of 402 (iirc) errors

Yeah, you won't have permission to push to medsouz's repository. The normal thing here would be to fork the repository on github and push the changes to that (either editing .git/config or using "git remote set-url origin https://github.com/USERNAME/OTHERREPOSITORY.git"). Then you can make a pull request to ask for changes to get pulled back into the main one.

I actually don't know if this has been answered yet but I was building a space station around kerbin with your mod for a mission to put a space station around every planet. So after I am done with said station, I leave the game for the night. I wake up the next day and find that my space station is now in orbit around the central Black Hole. On other occasions I launch in the middle of the "galaxy" with no planet in sight. I have to have every single slot filled with an astronaut to actually launch on the launch pad. So it's kind of glitchy at times. But the only things I see wrong are the teleportation glitch and the random Deep Space launch glitch.

Yes, as we were discussing there is a design problem with the mod. My version should be reliable in that it does just about exactly the same thing each time. The problem is getting it to do what we need to. The fundamental problem is that everything that is initialized in the "OnPSReady()" routine is broken and needs to, somehow, get done earlier in the process along with the stars.

Okay, I think I got it up, I don't quite feel comfortable forking this

Ah, not quite what I meant but that's probably fine. If you go to https://github.com/medsouz/StarSystems there's a "fork" button at the top right, which automatically creates a copy of the repository in your account which is linked back to the original. If you do that and push changes to that it'll give you the option to submit a "pull request" which notifies the original author and shows them what you've changed, allowing them to pull it back in. It's a pretty nice way to do some collaboration and then discuss why you've done it and what it does.

I've pulled your changes to my repo now, will take another look through when I get a chance.

!!! Actually that would be a brilliant idea to accompany this mod, a mod that lets you construct a stargate network. Sure, dragging a 200 ton, 10M ring out interstellar distances would be a chore but after that you could just fly future flights right through it...

The player would use the RPM target selection menu to choose the destination gate in the attached pod, if there's an active gate on the other end, transport any ship that enters to the other side.

I'm just happy to see people trying to fix this mod because this mod is amazing just needs a few fixes especially the not being able to load a spacecraft not orbiting a black hole lol (:

you can still do that. Revert to VAB and then load again. should do it.

I'm not really, I just worked on it until I unearthed the underlying problem; now I'm stuck. =\

The next step is to look carefully at the Planet Factory code and/or dump and inspect the PS standard starsystem information out to the third-level of classes to figure out what the game needs in order to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it normal for all craft to be orbiting Blacky upon load? If I.load a quicksave everything is fine so it's not a major problem, but still quite annoying. It means I need to remember to quicksave before exiting the game.

Hmm, update of sorts. The loading a quicksave trick stopped working. I have to keep using HyperEdit to reestablish my RemoteTech network around Kerbin each time. Anyone know what's going on here? Anything I.can do about it?

How might I get the white textures and solar flare (solar flare is in sharedassets9, but I don't know how to edit it) like in this pack http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77523-0-23-5-Better-Atmospheres-V4-April-23rd-2014 to apply to the new "sun"

Originally, these textures were being applied to the black hole making it look completely white with a flare, while the new sun has the original color and texture. To fix this I deleted the sun texture and replaced sharedasset9 with the original file. Is there any way to apply these files to the new sun to make it white?

I'm working on the mod again, I'm not sure what direction I will take yet... It might just end up adding stars and the star-light fix (It works around the internal limitation...) and leave all planet work to Planet Factory. Most of my work so far has been in the class Star where I want to move all setups to the first method and completely remove the second, and maybe refactor that into the star config loader, the useful work being to have a more intuitive configuration based on star stats and then do the work of translating that into what the current system requires. Basically the mod requires a MASSIVE overhaul in order to fix it's underlying issues. =( I could really use some help. =\

I didn't accomplish much today, I moved a few things around in Star.cs and that's about it. I found a very telling flag in Planet factory "too late to add planets" and it is set right before StarSystems does most of it's work... =P This is going to be hard. =\

I didn't accomplish much today, I moved a few things around in Star.cs and that's about it. I found a very telling flag in Planet factory "too late to add planets" and it is set right before StarSystems does most of it's work... =P This is going to be hard. =\

Maybe integrate it with KopernicusTech so we could make star systems with the new planet creation system

hmm, I'm still a Planet Factory fan myself. I guess we should start by evaluating what value Star Systems brings and see what we can do about improving how that is delivered.

In rough order of importance:

1. The starlight switcher. -- without it solar pannels become useless; this is the only mod I know of which provides this.

2. Easy and modular configuration of glactic-scale organization.

3. Easy and intuitive way to design stars, ie by mass and fundamental properties rather than back-configured from surface gravity or some other secondary property that doesn't really make sense on a star.

Edited by AlonzoTG

Hmm, update of sorts. The loading a quicksave trick stopped working. I have to keep using HyperEdit to reestablish my RemoteTech network around Kerbin each time. Anyone know what's going on here? Anything I.can do about it?

I'm doing the same thing by editing my persistent.sfs file, and I've noticed after switching between multiple saves and editing .sfs files during the game that the values don't switch to the black hole until the game closes (I think) and the biggest problem is that the REF value turns to '0', which I guess references the black hole. The fact that it begins orbiting the black hole with whatever speed it has totally ruins the rest of the values and those have to be manually fixed as well, unfortunately. If we could figure out why it switches the REF value to 0 (which normally means the sun Kerbol in stock) upon closing, it might be fixed. Until then, I recommend keeping notes of your satellites' orbits and fixing them in the .sfs files when needed. (I have no idea if it would be easier to do with Hyperedit, so that could be a more accessible solution. Here's an excellent guide to editing .sfs files http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63278-Perfect-Satellite-Orbits-%28Or-how-to-Hyper-Edit-without-Hyper-Edit%29 and the lovely, manly Scott has a vid to explain this too

)

tl;dr--I use the persistent.sfs file to put my satellites on the proper orbit, and the game changing values when it closes might be the problem.

To re-cap earlier in the thread, the issue is that StarSystems currently does most of it's work far too late in the game setup process. (Planet Factory is aware of this and even sets a flag to prevent additional planets being loaded on it's end after this point!) Basically what happens is that the planet moves but the ship does not. Anything in a solar orbit (for any sun) should be OK because stars are loaded long before planets are moved. I don't have SS running on any of my games right now, so plz test this.

Here's a brief explanation of what starlight switcher does, it's really very very simple.

The issue is that the game has only one slot for t3h star, in the Psystem class.

1. Keep a list of light-emitting stars.

2. set up an event handler to check for the nearest star.

3. On trigger, re-calculate the nearest star and put that in the single star slot, tweak a few light settings here and there... (issue = compute color and saturation values for stars. ie close up all stars are white but far away they take on their characteristic hue....)

--- Kopernicus Dev Here ---

As of today (thanks for your contributions Thomas), Kopernicus now supports adding custom stars, with coronas and solar power curves that are fully customizable (textures, colors, size, rotational speed, etc.). It also uses an improved version of the star light switcher. I just did a test with multiple stars combined with outer planets mod. Ran beautifully.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.