[0.90] StarSystems v0.7 (Dec 15) - Under New Managment

medsouz

• 2 weeks later...
What happened to Medsouz? Is he still alive? :P

Just because he doesn't post in a few days doesn't mean he is dead. The forums are of low priority compared to some other things in people's lives so he may be doing his own things. You can hardly blame him, it IS the holiday season.

Alright, so I'm trying to get this mod to work, but I'm running into several game breaking bugs.

1) When I try to launch a craft, I tend to be put into orbit around the black hole instead of on the surface of Kerbin. Also, under these conditions, my craft is completely uncontrollable. Oddly enough, the atlas launch clamps from the FASA launch towers prevent this from happening, however...

2) Whenever I leave the game and come back (ie through tracking station), all the ships are in the same uncontrollable state, orbiting the black hole. Their orbits are highly eccentric, with an Ap of 13,000 MegaMeters and a Pe somewhere above the event horizon. Enjoy those tidal forces!

3) I don't know if this a glitch or is intentional, but Inaccessible is in a low orbit around the black hole instead of an orbit around Corbo. It sure makes the planet (puts on sunglasses) inaccessible.

In addition, Erin is a medium orbit around Corbo instead of an orbit around Sentar. Once again, not sure if this was intentional or a bug.

4) When I tried installing the mod on a stock KSP install, the star systems didn't load. I think I didn't install the mod properly in this instance (dragging the mod folder from one game data folder to another).

This occurred in a modded .90 save, so I'm in the process of ruling out if this the star systems mod, or the interaction between mods. The tracking station issue makes me think it's the former.

I suspect the issue is the game getting confused about parent bodies and where the ships are supposed to start.

3) I don't know if this a glitch or is intentional, but Inaccessible is in a low orbit around the black hole instead of an orbit around Corbo. It sure makes the planet (puts on sunglasses) inaccessible.

In addition, Erin is a medium orbit around Corbo instead of an orbit around Sentar. Once again, not sure if this was intentional or a bug.

That'd be a problem with a third party mod. You'd have to do some config editing for that I'd think.

Weird... other than the occasional launch bug, I've got a strange one where my solar panels don't seem to vary in energy production, at least over interplanetary distances. (I'm running Interstellar, which should make the differences even more pronounced.) Maybe somehow the panels' power curve became relative to the black hole rather than Kerbol... but that's all I've got. Can't seem to find a config file for this, either.

Any thoughts?

I'm also having the probelm with saving the ship and then coming back and finding it out orbiting around the black hole

this is a known bug, I'm pretty sure that Medsouz is working as hard as he can when he can to solve this, untill then, I reccoment getting Hyper Edit so you can put the ship back into its proper orbit

I suspect the issue is the game getting confused about parent bodies and where the ships are supposed to start.

Well I think you're right, I open the Planet factory log on several saves before I return in the VAB and lunch again.

there is the log:

ZZMfmMu.png

2) Whenever I leave the game and come back (ie through tracking station), all the ships are in the same uncontrollable state, orbiting the black hole. Their orbits are highly eccentric, with an Ap of 13,000 MegaMeters and a Pe somewhere above the event horizon. Enjoy those tidal forces!

Here again I have try it whit a ship and it spawn around the same altitude i left it

R26Jn3v.png

Edited by fodgecake

yes, honestly quite a few. i tried this by itsslef and actually got nothing at all this and PF give me stars and planets but no black hole. 64 bit on ubuntu. did have kittopia, removed it and made things better than with it. and yes i am fairly sure i installed correctly...unless there is some secret readme somewhere i missed.

ok...so i fresh installed both ksp and starsystems 0.7 ran 64 bit on ubuntu and i have nothing but the normal sun and planets and can only zoom out to the point where i see the whole solar system and the camera stops. and fyi the 32 bit wont even actually run.

Do not run with any planet mods or Kittopia. They seriously mess up the game both when they're installed and when you uninstall them. Starsystems is not planet creation/editing friendly.

Oh, too bad. I really wanted this with planet packs

Suggestion for a new star: a small (only 2x bigger than Kerbin) red dwarf star. Solar panels cannot be fully operational off of such low light and must stick to around 10-20% of the maximum power output (making thermostatic generators a little more useful, unless you don't mind solar wings on your tiny probe). However, it should have special compatibility with resource-based mods that make resources spawn more frequently, making converter/ harvester ships more functional in this system.

Your red dwarf would be smaller than Jool, which would make it impossible for it to be a red dwarf (or otherwise Jool would be come a star). It'd have to be bigger than Jool if one wants consistency, but even then it would still be dwarfed by Kerbol which would be 20-25 times larger. So the concept works, but you'd have to make it a bit bigger for it to make scientific sense.

So, if you wanted to make a red dwarf with this, you'd have to look at SpaceEngine for some specs of common red dwarfs (or wikipedia, but I like SE for the visuals :wink:). I just found one that was 0.6 solar radii. So, we times Kerbol's radius by 0.6 which gives us 156 960 km in radius. You could do 0.6 kerbol masses, also which would give you 1.0539402x1028. There you go, you already have the mass and the radius!

that is a (fairly) common issue, usually, what i do is either revert back to launchpad or revert to VAB and then launch again

For me its not every now and then that this happening to me, its all the time I try to launch, either from the VAB or SPH, that this happens to me. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.