[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Not sure if someone has mentioned this, but stock docking ports added to the hub either slide out of place or disappear altogether. They did this for me after a few years in time acceleration. When the time came to send up my landers in time for the transfer window, there was nothing to dock to. I only have the Outer Solar System Mod installed.

Hmm. That's weird. I'll look into it. Not really done any long-duration tests with it yet. I suspect it may be something to do with the colliders I used on the ring which are going to be redone with the next version anyway. Thanks for pointing it out!

Adding RCS is something I'm looking into but for the moment it isn't top of the list of features since the reaction wheels should be enough to hold the ship steady.

Caullerd, I'll look into that! In the meantime SAS should probably be kept on pretty much all the time.

Thats correct, the CoM isnt fully centered due to shape of the core ring. You should try to outbalance the corridor from center to ring. I usually use 2 extra torque wheels + vernors. :)

Yeah, I can balance pitch here, but rotation is quite interesting. Maybe benjee should call it a feature, not a bug, you know, Endurance should rotate to simulate gravity for crew and get Romilly sick xD

Edited by Caullerd

The ranger is more complex since it has moving parts which need to be animated and has to have the aerodynamics balanced, so that will come later when Shryq has time.

EDIT: Updated to 0.1.4. Added main engines and hopefully fixed the docking port disappearing bug.

YnrTNJL.png

Download in the OP.

Edited by benjee10

it kinda pops out the side of the fuel tank tho

You have to rotate them so that one engine is in the centre of the outside edge of the fuel assembly, and the other two are at the bottom (one in each corner). Then they fit perfectly. Or put two on the outside and one on the inside, it doen't matter. Check the picture benjee put up a few posts ago.

Thanks everyone!

There's two black marks on the rim of engine mount/fuel tank which should be covered up when the engine is rotated correctly.

Coming next update:

gX39mm5.png

KL2ElZN.png

Still need to work on colliders as they're preventing docking using the port on the underside at the moment. Otherwise it flies well. The rangers in the background are just placeholders and entirely non-functional just to get a sense of what scale everything needs to be.

Still need to work on colliders as they're preventing docking using the port on the underside at the moment. Otherwise it flies well. The rangers in the background are just placeholders and entirely non-functional just to get a sense of what scale everything needs to be.

Oh my gosh, this is incredible! :D Hype continues to intensify!

How many parts are the Landers? (And Rangers) Are they in enough parts to make mixing and matching for other purposes viable?

Or at least so that they can break into multiple pieces properly if you crash them? :D

Part count shouldn't be TOO big - I mean the entire thing - Endurance and sub-vehicles - I'm hoping is not higher than, say 100-150 so that it doesn't kill users machines.

not higher than, say 100-150

The endurance assembly (3 hab modules, 1 command pod, ring structure, 4 utility modules, 4 fuel assemblys and four engine assemblys) totals 17 parts, but I doubt it'll reach anywhere near 100 parts with two rangers, two landers and however many docking ports.

The lander is currently 5 parts excluding RCS and docking ports, and RCS will eventually be integrated. I had to make the body and makn engines one part to combat COM issues when using the VTOL engines. Unfortunately due to the specific nature of the vehicles there aren't many parts which can be used for other things, but the vehicles themselves can be used for multiple purposes. You could use the lander to hoist space station parts into orbit for example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.