[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Ultimately the main reason we decided against the 'assemble in orbit' approach is that almost no one wants to launch more than 20 individual modules and precisely dock them together to within less than a few degrees. You can get away with launching pretty huge things in Kerbal, particularly if they are only made up of a few parts since it stays structurally stable. I wish there was another way of doing it but short of having built-in dependency on Extraplanetary Launchpads I don't think there is.

Started work on colouring the texture in Photoshop. More updates soon!

I'd like to know if you are going to make the Endurance a stock craft in this mod. I know that I am lazy, but I'd just like to fly the whole thing. (oh, and I suck at docking.)

I'm curious what you mean by "stock craft". Surely you've noticed that this is the development of a set of mod parts? All the mesh and modeling work being shown etc?

Or - going by the secondary comment about docking - are you specifically asking about the docking ports and whether they'll be compatible with standard docking ports?

I'm curious what you mean by "stock craft". Surely you've noticed that this is the development of a set of mod parts? All the mesh and modeling work being shown etc?

Or - going by the secondary comment about docking - are you specifically asking about the docking ports and whether they'll be compatible with standard docking ports?

A "stock craft" is a craft file in the download that you put in your Ships folder.

Why is everyone all of a sudden clamoring for a download? It's not done yet, it hasn't even been imported to KSP yet. It's not in a sufficient state of development for a Beta.

We are all just absolutely hyped! That's why we want it!

But of course we understand that it takes as much time as it does, and we respect that! :)

Well, it may not be so long now, at least until an alpha release. I finally picked up Unity and have managed to get the ring/stalk part in game, but it is buggy as hell. Some bugs I kinda know how to fix (like some colliders aren't working but I know why they aren't) but there seems to be a more major one in that parts attached to the nodes in the ring will spontaneously break off if all the nodes are filled. If anyone has any ideas then let me know. Pics soon!

EDIT: Scratch that I fixed it. I had the mass set way too low and that was causing some physics problems. All works fine now!

Testing:

xn1EYEV.png

Edited by benjee10

OK guys, things have gone pretty smoothly today and I've managed to get enough in game that I'm comfortable releasing a very early alpha. Please be aware that very little here is finished, so bugs are everywhere, some of which I know about, some of which I haven't encountered yet. Here's a list of what's in the current version (0.1), and the known issues.

CURRENT FEATURES

Almost complete
Endurance
ring system. This is comprised of:

Core Module, found in the command pods tab. This is the ring itself and features nodes for you to attach docking ports and the other modules.

Habitation & Logistics modules. These have not yet been balanced at all. Habitation modules currently has hitchhiker internals just so you can see crew inside it.

Engine mount/fuel tank modules. This has not been balanced either.

FEATURES NOT IN THIS VERSION

Endurance
command module. The model & textures exist but I haven't added it yet.

Endurance
main engines. The model exists but has not yet been textured and I haven't a clue how to make engines yet. Currently use stock engines. You will probably have to use infinite fuel to make orbit since no balancing has been done properly.

The Ranger or lander craft. The Ranger is being handled by Shryq and the lander is currently undergoing a revamp.

Cargo modules. These will slot into the back of the habitation and logistics modules. Currently only notional and models have not been made yet.

KNOWN ISSUES - "ADDITIONAL FEATURES"

Colliders for the outer part of the ring don't work. This won't affect you much unless you try to fly a kerbal through them. I know how to solve this issue but have run out of time today.

Crew modules lack hatches so your kerbals won't be able to leave the modules. Sorry. Should be fixed by next update.

Don't use physical time warp or everything falls off the ring. Pretty major issue which I think is down to mass values. Feel free to tweak the .cfg files to see if you can fix this.

Major lag when atmospheric effects are set to high. I think this is because of the number of polys in the models. KSP grinds to a halt during reentry unless you turn your atmospheric effects way down. Not sure if this is fixable, but then again you aren't meant to be undergoing reentry with this.

Optimisation problems. The intention was to have shared textures between parts, but I can't figure out how to get this working. Any help would be much appreciated, though as there are no specular or normal textures yet the mod doesn't make too huge a dent in your memory.

SCREENSHOTS

uSAWAhA.png

Js6qpXi.png

ODt8Pep.png

gMGXUIa.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.