[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

I should note:

"Crew modules lack hatches so your kerbals won't be able to leave the modules. Sorry. Should be fixed by next update."

This problem can be gotten around if you use Kerbal Crew Manifest.

And it's a good mod to have around in any case - lets you edit, rename, and even create Kerbals. So, theoretically you could have a "Kooper" Kerbal to pilot your Endurance craft, say? :D

When do you think the ranger will be released?

Not sure. As an alpha, probably pretty soon. Benjee has been using stock docking ports, I believe, which then just leaves the Landing legs and the IVA for me to finish, and maybe a modicum of balancing. Would you people want it with a partially done IVA (I'm terrible at texturing and the props are rather tedious)? It does have basic indicators and RPM as it stands. I'll see about this weekend.

Edited by Shryq

I think it'd be better to get the parts in-game sooner and focus on IVAs later. Not many people use IVAs that much; they're nice to have but not essential. Just so long as you can see the kerbals inside!

Next update will hopefully see hatches added so you can get your kerbals out and hopefully some science modules. I'm thinking for now that the cargo modules which slot into the back of the ring could be different science experiments? At least until we get TAC and KAS integration going.

While I agree that IVA is nice to have and not essential for flying. I would say they are pretty important for a complete experience, especially with a craft related to a movie where we see scenes acted out in IVA view. Recreating such scene is a very awesome experience. It would feel pretty awesome to perform even simple landing on the ranger.

That said, this is not a demand or pressuring you from making changes to your development plans! Just go with what you think would help you work the best. Your work so far has been amazing.

Off topic though,

The Endurance has modules that can be turned into habitat modules for setting up a colony. I wonder how exactly we can do that in KSP. We already have MKS/OKS as the basis for the colony mechanics, just need to figure exactly how to land those things to the ground. Probably need some kind of special docking port for the landers to connect to them and ferry them down? How would that survive re-entry, I wonder.

Yes, I agree we do need IVAs, just perhaps they should come late? Get everything in game and balanced first, then pimp up the IVAs.

The colonisation modules are never seen detaching in the movie so we've compromised and made the boxes/crates that fit into the back of the modules on the ring (visible in some stills from the movie) detachable. Or rather, they will be eventually. For now they'll be science experiments.

Yes, I agree we do need IVAs, just perhaps they should come late? Get everything in game and balanced first, then pimp up the IVAs.

The colonisation modules are never seen detaching in the movie so we've compromised and made the boxes/crates that fit into the back of the modules on the ring (visible in some stills from the movie) detachable. Or rather, they will be eventually. For now they'll be science experiments.

My "idea" is that you should just use the old MK3 Iva for the moment until the Ranger IVA is done, and then add the Lander (still with MK3 IVA), and then finish the Lander's IVA and BOOM! :D Amazing pack!

The Endurance has modules that can be turned into habitat modules for setting up a colony. I wonder how exactly we can do that in KSP. We already have MKS/OKS as the basis for the colony mechanics, just need to figure exactly how to land those things to the ground. Probably need some kind of special docking port for the landers to connect to them and ferry them down? How would that survive re-entry, I wonder.

Ah. I've been thinking about that. You know those little rectangular things they pull out of the endurance cubes? I think it would be pretty easy to make them expand (animate) so it looks like inflatable habitats. It wouldn't be too hard to use some of the part_modules from the MKS/OKS mod, and end up with a full functional TAC compatible colony. Landing shouldn't be an issue. As I understand it, the lander goes upside down and uses the 'top' as a heat-sheild. Instead of using docking ports, we could use a part much like the asteroid claw, that way you don't need to make sure the part is oriented perfectly, facing the correct side, etc.

@benjee I've been thinking of making the wing of the ranger into multiple parts, that is, one for the wing for lift, and the wing tip bits will be the landing gear (could also be wing parts as well). I think this would help getting the gear to work, since the object (think blender/unity) that actually attaches to the ship will be stationary, and not animated, which I now think is the source of the problem I've been having.

3AMRJi4.png

Testing out placing the other vehicles on the ring to check scaling. Shryq, the Ranger will need a rescaleFactor of 0.8 to be the right size and when I redo the lander it'll have to be 1.5 times bigger than the current version (rescaled versions shown.)

And sure Shryq, do whatever you think works best!

Edited by benjee10

http://i.imgur.com/3AMRJi4.png

Testing out placing the other vehicles on the ring to check scaling. Shryq, the Ranger will need a rescaleFactor of 0.8 to be the right size and when I redo the lander it'll have to be 1.5 times bigger than the current version (rescaled versions shown.)

That looks fantastic!

really nice, i think u should change up the RCS ports on the fuel tanks

Benjee this mod is looking A1!!, and I actually wanted to say that ontop of the black aerodynamical part of the ranger, there are solar panels on it.15285670354_c96c924286.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.