[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

Windows. Did not test it yet, because my game is running with 7k mm patches and i am too inpatient to restart it again now. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Update: yep, that fixed it. You need to enable known data endings to see that. :) Building the Endurance now. :D

A good, glad it works! Not sure what I can do to fix that properly since even with file extensions on I can only see them as .cfgs. Weird. I'll look into it for the next update! Also noticed a misalignment of one of the ring nodes, added that to the known issues on Kerbal Stuff.

To see that endings in windows, go to 'organize --> file and search options' in the left upper of the explorer, 2nd tab there is an option called: 'hide known data endings', disable it. Mission accomplished. :)

Another thing: maybe its possible to change the stock alignment of the ring and the 'containers' upwards. Its not that easy to figure out the front of that thing :D

Oh the compartments are aligned, only the ring faces horizontally.

Edited by Tyren

See one of my last posts. you have to disable the 'autohide known file endings' option in your file options. Then simply delete the .txt. suffix in each cfg file name and accept the error message. I am working on getting this thing into orbit, not as easy as it seemed at first...^^

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, thanks to Throttle Controlled Avionics I got it into a stable 605k orbit. Beautiful model, congratulation to your progress so far. :)

It should look like GameData/Endurance/Parts/ENDURANCE/ and then the part folders. Did you extract everything correctly?

Its exactly what i did benjee, I put the "Endurance" folder into that GameData Directory and that folder seemed to contain all the parts for the Endurance (Cargo,Habitat,Ring,Enginemount ETC)

BENJEE THAT IS SO COOL, TRYING IT OUT NOW

EDIT: I have the same problem as RamierzCorp, installed correctly but the parts doesn't show up. I have 0.90 on windows 8

here is a basic model of the lander IVA:

hxgj5lW.png

heres the lander without the IVA and without textures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/838um3hv57...der.blend?dl=0

Edited by xxhansonmaxx

BENJEE THAT IS SO COOL, TRYING IT OUT NOW

EDIT: I have the same problem as RamierzCorp, installed correctly but the partsarrow-10x10.png doesn't show up. I have 0.90 on windows 8heres the basic IVA of the Lander:

here is a basic model of the lander IVA:

http://i.imgur.com/hxgj5lW.png

heres the lander without the IVA and without textures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/838um3hv57...der.blend?dl=0

Thank god im not the only one that encounters that problem and i also run windows, BTW that IVA looks well modeled, good job xxhansonmaxx !!

Amazing work, guys. This is all turning out great!

Using this on Mac and I'm seeing the same issue. Easy enough to fix though - I just opened each config file and save as'd with the "use .txt" box unchecked. Not sure how to fix that on Benjee's end though...

Well, it should work to put the file name into "filename.cfg", afaik windows ignores the usual file type when done like this. Cant verify that though, i am using a german version of windows 7. :)

step by step how i fixed it:

1. open the part folder in win explorer

2. dropdown list 'organize' in the upper left of the explorer window

3. 'file and search options'

4. second tab 'view(?)' - dunno if its called like that in the english version

5. uncheck 'automatically hide known file endings'

6. rename all cfg.txt files to .cfg

7. start the game

8. Enjoy! :)

Hopefully this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how the files look like after download:

FcZvPFy.png

Made a fast download and reinstalled. Works fine :)

I am looking forward to the rest of the models :D Is it me or doesnt your mod need textures? So beautiful even without RAM eating layers of paintjob on it. :D

Maybe just something plugin based (reflections?) Dunno if thats possible without textures, i am not a modder, only a guy with too much time to crash his KSP with too many mods. :)

Glad to hear it works! I think textures are needed to give the models a bit of life to them. They look boring if every part of them is the same flat colour. Just little things like darkening the surface near joins or adding a little weathering.

Currently working on the next update which will add the command module part.

Benjee and everybody else who was involved in creating this mod:

Thank you! You guys are doing an awesome job and as cripion already said, it is so cool to see this baby grow up right from the beginning into such a cool mod!

Thanks for your support everyone. It's been a great experience but we're not nearly done yet!

New update:

0.1.2 Release Notes

Added Command Module part.

Bundled Interstellar flags created by Akron.

Reworked folder structure to allow for texture sharing and reduce memory footprint.

Added flagDecal module to Command Module part - currently not working but groundwork is in place for future releases.

It works! :D

I made a lander to go with it, while using a youtuber's Ranger to go to a mission to Jool with cheats. The Lander works really well, suprisingly, marking my first actual working VTOL ever! :)

Anyway, great pack, can't wait for the ranger and lander to come out!

ENDURANCE SPACE EXPLORATION SYSTEM (v0.1.2)

The intention of this mod is to create a kerbalised version of the Endurance spacecraft from the film Interstellar (which is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Sci-Fi films of all time). The mod will consist of parts which slot together to produce the finished ship in a KSOS sort of way.

The current plan is as such. The main ring will be a single piece, and part-clipping will be used to attach modules onto the ring in any configuration you like, allowing for some flexibility as to the mission profile etc. Unfortunately this means launching the Endurance as one big piece, but there really isn't any user-friendly way of building it in orbit unless you have lots of patience and a monster computer.

CURRENT FEATURES

Almost complete
Endurance
ring system. This is comprised of:

Core Module, found in the command pods tab. This is the ring itself and features nodes for you to attach docking ports and the other modules.

Habitation, Command & Logistics modules. These have not yet been balanced at all. Habitation modules currently has hitchhiker internals just so you can see crew inside it.

Engine mount/fuel tank modules. This has not been balanced either.

FEATURES NOT IN THIS VERSION

Endurance
main engines. The model exists but has not yet been textured and I haven't a clue how to make engines yet. Currently use stock engines. You will probably have to use infinite fuel to make orbit since no balancing has been done properly.

The Ranger or lander craft. The Ranger is being handled by Shryq and the lander is currently undergoing a revamp.

Cargo modules. These will slot into the back of the habitation and logistics modules. Currently only notional and models have not been made yet.

KNOWN ISSUES - "ADDITIONAL FEATURES"

Colliders for the outer part of the ring don't work. This won't affect you much unless you try to fly a kerbal through them. I know how to solve this issue but have run out of time today.

Crew modules lack hatches so your kerbals won't be able to leave the modules. Sorry. Should be fixed by next update.

Don't use physical time warp or everything falls off the ring. Pretty major issue which I think is down to mass values. Feel free to tweak the .cfg files to see if you can fix this.

Major lag when atmospheric effects are set to high. I think this is because of the number of polys in the models. KSP grinds to a halt during reentry unless you turn your atmospheric effects way down. Not sure if this is fixable, but then again you aren't meant to be undergoing reentry with this.

SCREENSHOTS

Created by

benjee10 - Models & textures

zekew11 - Implementation

Shryq - Ranger model

xxhansonmaxx - IVAs

Awesome flags by Akron!

When the rangers are released. Email : [email protected]

That is when you make a man .......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.