[1.0.4] Endurance (from Interstellar) [DISCONTINUED]

benjee10

On 6.12.2015 at 5:51 PM, benjee10 said:

yVjelrm.png

Just by the way.. 

- awesome details !!  great work - you could certainly for Ridley Scott in the next science fiction film to make the SGI. really good job ..

Edited by RaendyLeBeau

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So in 1.0.5 you cant (at least I cant) get the side ports on the Endurance to work.

It thinks theres a wall there, making it impossible to get to the lander ports.

Just thought i'd let someone know!

(btw I created an acount just for this problem, and also because this mod is fantastic, seriously good job, Im glad I found it) 

8 hours ago, Stoxen said:

So in 1.0.5 you cant (at least I cant) get the side ports on the Endurance to work.

It thinks theres a wall there, making it impossible to get to the lander ports.

Just thought i'd let someone know!

(btw I created an acount just for this problem, and also because this mod is fantastic, seriously good job, Im glad I found it) 

Welcome to the forum!

This is a known issue as 1.0.5 has changed how colliders work - I don't have time to fix it at the moment, but I'll be reworking the mod once 1.1 comes out!

10 hours ago, Table said:

I mean, when I downloaded it it doesn't come with the load up endurance

I also don't how to attatch the lander to the middle instead of the sides

Hi, this newest version does not have craft files yet, as seen in the title of the thread. If you go back to previous versions, I'm sure you could fi d the correct files.

C.S.

6 hours ago, CommanderSpock said:

Hi, this newest version does not have craft files yet, as seen in the title of the thread. If you go back to previous versions, I'm sure you could fi d the correct files.

C.S.

Well i'll just have to wait. Thanks for answering though.

Cheers!

Having pretty much just found out about the closure of KerbalStuff (where the download of this mod was previously hosted), I feel I should let you guys know what I intend to do & the future of the mod etc. I will not be reposting the mod as it currently stands since it is, in effect, defunct; very few of the parts work as intended in the newest version of KSP and I see little reason to continue distributing a broken product.

I'm currently under a fairly large amount of pressure due to university work and it probably won't abate much any time soon, so for the foreseeable future I'll be stepping back from this mod. I'm also somewhat losing interest because, by its very nature, Endurance was a kind of 'cheat-mod,' in that once you got the ship into orbit, there was almost no challenge in getting anywhere, and I feel this somewhat goes against the spirit of the game. I'm also increasingly becoming against 'kit' part mods (i.e. mods which can pretty much only be used to build one specific spacecraft) as I feel it limits the broad scope of creativity which KSP is all about. In addition to this, I no longer have many of the files I used when creating the mod due to them being scattered on several computers which I no longer have access to. 

If anyone would like to continue the development of the mod from what files I do have, there is a google drive repository which had several things put up on it every now and then. I can't remember what is and isn't in there, but there are a few blender files and textures and stuff like that, so feel free to download them and do what you want with them (so long as you give credit). 

Huge thanks to everyone involved in the project or who has commented or downloaded or just generally been around. Was brilliant to have so much support! Special thanks go to xxhansonmaxx, zekew11, Shryq, InsanePlumber, Jasseji and akron without whom getting this far would likely not have been possible. 

I can't remember exactly how many people downloaded the mod but I remember it being a mind-bogglingly huge number, so thanks to everyone, it was great fun to get involved in modding and I'm sure I'll be sticking around and doing some other (smaller, less complex) projects in the future! 

Cheers, 

Ben

So how can I get access to at least the 1.0.4 version? Just bundle everything from the GDrive into a folder into GameData?

I might be able to find it through the Kerbalstuff torrent, but what is the zip file called? Sheesh

edit: For anyone looking I found the .zip in the KerbalStuff torrent hosted on the main page - It's listed under Benjee_10, not the letter E

Edit2: nvm. This only goes up to 0.9

What gives man?

Edited by DeFRaG
Found zip name

5 hours ago, DeFRaG said:

So how can I get access to at least the 1.0.4 version? Just bundle everything from the GDrive into a folder into GameData?

I might be able to find it through the Kerbalstuff torrent, but what is the zip file called? Sheesh

edit: For anyone looking I found the .zip in the KerbalStuff torrent hosted on the main page - It's listed under Benjee_10, not the letter E

Edit2: nvm. This only goes up to 0.9

What gives man?

I believe that the 0.9.0 version of the mod is the latest version. The version numbering on KerbalStuff was the version of the mod not the version of the game. 

"What gives" is the fact that the original files (including the release zips uploaded to KerbalStuff) for the mod happen to be on another computer which is currently 200 miles and an £80 train journey away from me which, as a student, isn't really practical at the moment. This week I also have around four thousand words' worth of essays and documentation to hand in as well as presenting on a student radio station as well as being the director of an assessed TV practical project in which 12 other students depend on me for their grades. So right now, finding and maintaining a download of a defunct version of a mod which I no longer want to work on for a select few people who still use previous versions of the game is pretty low on my priority list. 

If you manage to get the torrent to work feel free to rehost it anywhere. I can't change the license in the files obviously but from now on it can effectively be treated as CC BY SA. 

I've started looking into revival of this mod. No commitments or guarantees yet. Just making an assessment of the work involved to get it working again (given I already have 4 other mods). If someone can go through and compile a list of the issues with this mod in 1.0.5 that would be great. Far as I know so far there are issues with the part models colliders and attach nodes. Is there anything else?

7 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I've started looking into revival of this mod. No commitments or guarantees yet. Just making an assessment of the work involved to get it working again (given I already have 4 other mods). If someone can go through and compile a list of the issues with this mod in 1.0.5 that would be great. Far as I know so far there are issues with the part models colliders and attach nodes. Is there anything else?

Yay! Hope you do a good job :) Also, I don't think there is anymore problems with the mod in 1.0.5 though I'm not sure.

I'm still investigating the issues in KSP 1.0.5. and trying to figure out the models benjee10 has provided as they aren't quite what I am used to.
As he has supplied the raw models I can look to fix the collider issues. But I have to go and re-create them all in unity to create the actual .mu files for KSP.
I'm playing around in KSP with it and had a few questions for people a bit more familiar with the mod:
1) Did the attach nodes on the ring for the modules appear in the editor or only when you try to place a part. I've noticed the nodes aren't visible unless you grab a module and move it over the ring then it appears behind the part. IS this behaviour how it has always worked?
2) Seems to be a big issue with placing the docking port onto the ring, so it's nodes are messed up and the ring has unity collider issues which is why you can't place it correctly. Is this what people have been experiencing?
3) I can't place the vtol engines on the lander (again believe this is collider issues).
4) I can't place the deep space engines on the endurance (again believe this is collider issues).

UPDATE: I completed a re-configure of the Endurance main ring part today. Got it's colliders set up and working correctly in KSP 1.0.5.
There is some lag when loading the part either in the editor or flight (up to 10secs) this is because of the new colliders/model changes which to me is unacceptable. I will refine the model and colliders to gain some performance improvements over the next few days and check all the rest of the parts. But the good news is I can build the Endurance and attach the parts and dock/un-dock and fly through the ring.
Also the docking port connectors and the attach nodes on the parts need work to refine. Anyway, work progresses. Stay Tuned.

Edited by JPLRepo

Work continues on the revival.. I have got the Endurance main ring working very well with NO LAG and new colliders (just have a texture issue to fix). A shout out to @MerlinsMaster for lending me a hand in refactoring the ring model to fix the lag issue.
Work has begun on fixing the other parts and landers, etc. It's a slow hard slog.
Some Pics of the work in progress:

Spoiler

h0h2N0F.png

lCbw1GK.png

ZyUEY3U.png

ixbQcG9.png

Edited by JPLRepo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.