This Will Not End Well (post images of your craft in a precarious situation)

John FX

Really? Really? This again?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Misjudged my wingspan flying over the mountains. Vector 270 from KSC, flying toward the sun in a solar-driven glider (highly modified Lack Luster Labs SXT pack parts...) and I smack the bloody wing into a cliff because I was too busy admiring the view of the mountains at sunset.

Not as pretty a landing as my other one, but let's see you do better when your main landing gear is sheared off, let alone flying on one wing. After all, any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

And no, I don't try to knock the wings off of my planes, even my motor gliders. I hate night flights when I don't have landing lights...

As for the spot of debris you can see in the first image, yes, that's the other bloody wing. Or maybe a landing gear. I'm not sure. It's part of the plane.

Edited by Madrias

Sadly I don't have a picture, but I once made a plane with a single EVA command seat and I flew it around those rocky islands on the coast of Kerbin (the one with the abandoned air strip and another one) seeing just how close I could fly to the surface without destroying my vessel/kerbal. Surprisingly, I didn't crash.

I parked this SSTO in orbit and then got distracted by a Eve return attempt. When I go back I find half of one wing missing; maybe it got hit by foam on the way up. There are no parachutes or escape pods so I don't think Desrigh and Tombree are coming back in one piece.

kdrEWMm.png

http://imgur.com/a/kch5x

Well, it did end well, but that's what I get for trying to scream through the tunnels at KSC. And yes, I did also post this on the day of the event in the "What did you do in KSP today?" thread, but I figure, why not, it fits the theme well enough.

And yes, it was an unmanned flight, but I wanted to save the craft anyway. Too many piloted aircraft exploded much like that and so I've learned how to fly damaged aircraft back to a save landing spot. With a keyboard.

That's perhaps the worst damage I've flown back, but not the most difficult to fly. Flying with a missing jet engine is harder.

Reminds me of that F15 that landed with only one wing.

I used to lift of the Mun normal like you until I took a tipped lander to the knee! Yeah this actually worked.

iIq4E79.png

I accidentally tipped the rocket over on landing so I decoupled the return stage and the rover, flipped the base right side up, and used the rover as a launch ramp xD. Contingency systems my friends!

Sorry guys, I'm too busy keeping my real-world job so I'll just recycle a couple of historical images o'mine.

nT2i3ov.png

A FAR + Deadly re-entry combo

guxcejd.png

It actually didn't end so bad due to my "Thank God" rescue module... well those in the crew tank weren't so lucky as I almost never save the payload.

NUFk16r.png

Landing short of runway

ij79Rw2.png

Bob got starstruck - eh, probably closer to tailstruck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.