can Squad add comets to KSP?

As we all know about the success of Rozetta mission catching up with the comet and landing on it. I think it would be great idea if we could have comets in KSP and have possibility to recreate this mission and have many other new ones. Can this be done?

Just make it look amasing with dust tails approaching the central star. :)

Why not.

But please just give us better harpoons :D

Kerbal Space Program â€Â@KerbalSpaceP

To everyone asking about harpoons, sorry, we have no plans to implement them at the moment. Besides, the banana would be first in line.

Oh well ... :blush:

:D

In a lot of ways, comets are really just asteroids with a different typical composition and highly eccentric orbits around a star. There's an asteroid mod already that adds asteroids like this into the game.

It would be cool if they could have comas, too. Especially that kind of graphical process could potentially be used to add rings to a planet.

In a lot of ways, comets are really just asteroids with a different typical composition and highly eccentric orbits around a star. There's an asteroid mod already that adds asteroids like this into the game.

It would be cool if they could have comas, too. Especially that kind of graphical process could potentially be used to add rings to a planet.

I was expecting someone to mention asteroids and yes i agree that comets are very similar to asteroids, so that actually makes it even easier to implement in game.

The main issue is adding coma (dust tails), orbit and dependancy of coma size /sun distance.

ps. can you pls advice the name of this asteroid mod you mentioned pls.

btw may be modders can make mod with comets.

'surprise comets' - why not? that will add fun and sense of true exploration.

Edited by Korkin

That sounds pretty awesome :D from an amateurs point of view it also looks like a reasonably small amount of work, considering that the asteroid mechanic is already there.

I wonder if cloud/coma/dust particle effects will ever be a part of stock ksp :( But I bet that modders would find a way to add a coma even if the devs decide they don't want it for some reason

That sounds pretty awesome :D from an amateurs point of view it also looks like a reasonably small amount of work, considering that the asteroid mechanic is already there.

I wonder if cloud/coma/dust particle effects will ever be a part of stock ksp :( But I bet that modders would find a way to add a coma even if the devs decide they don't want it for some reason

Yep. me think even cloud/coma/dust particle effects are not really a problem as all these are there ingame in one way or another.

for example dust tail can be done similar to rocket smoke exhaust (of course scale, length and density shall be different)

and there are clouds in game. there are clouds around planets right, dont think is its problem to create smaller cloud layer around an asteroid, add variation of smoke exhaust - here you have a comet.

as i see it all that has to be done is to combine asteroids, clouds, smoke in one

of course i can be wrong

i wish i knew how to make mods.

Edited by Korkin

What are asteroids in KSP. small planets or large parts?

Dres, a large asteroid or dwarf planet is a "planet".

Pol,Bop,Gilly and Minmus are asteroid-like moons, that are "planets".

The randomly generated asteroids are "parts".

The problem with comets is that in KSP scale they would only be about 1-2 km wide, and at the moment the smallest "planet" (Gilly) is about 26 km wide, that small "planets" could cause problems.

But 1-2 km parts would be too big.

The ksp SOI system is also pretty strange with "planets" that have very elliptic orbits.

I have given this some thought and think comets would be a good addition to the game, if they can be done 'right'.

I could be doing a hasty generalization, but you could use the code for spawning asteroids, with some changes: different orbital parameters, different textures and maybe even shapes, different mass distribution over the size classes (different sizes even?). And then, the more difficult bit, to do it 'right' comets would indeed need some kind of tails and comas, because that is what people will expect from comets. I think they would be a good addition, if you can do this, and keep the feel of a comet different than the feel of an asteroid (I would assume by picking the right orbital parameters, so that a comet mission will be more challenging than a mission to an asteroid).

The problem with comets is that in KSP scale they would only be about 1-2 km wide, and at the moment the smallest "planet" (Gilly) is about 26 km wide, that small "planets" could cause problems.

But 1-2 km parts would be too big.

Comets just as asteroids come in many sizes. For comets in KSP a selection of workable sizes can be made just as was done with asteroids.

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.