[1.1.2] Realism Overhaul v11.0.0 May 8

Felger

Hello, I am running into a bug and was curious if anyone else was having this issue.

i recently reinstalled RO via ckan and am trying to build my first plane. the plane checks out with FAR's stability check. but when i go to take off once i reach about 20 kph the plane is impossible to steer and in fact acts like there is a very strong cross wind that changes directions every couple of feet causing the plane to roll and crash. i even took it off the runway thinking maybe the non upgraded runway was just too rough. but same thing happens. really interestingly in i go off the runway and get the speed up to about 15 kph the plan will make a wide circle on the ground. sometimes clockwise others counterclock wise.

i tried reinstalling KSP and RO. and i copied Scott Manley's plane design that he shows in one of his recent videos...but it didnt help at all. the same thing is happening.

i also noticed that my sounding rocket seemed to be affected by these weird forces also though not as bad. after launch the rocket would pitch random directions as it was falling through the atmosphere(didnt notice as much while going up).

Any clue as to what could be causing it?

I'm not sure if an edit would warrant any attention, but I'm running into further problems than just the engine nacelle/pre-cooler and non-pressurized fuselages not connecting to nodes correctly. It's moved on to certain docking ports, and a number of seemingly random items from all over the tech tree (the docking port that has the issue is the non-nasa "in-line" docking port that has an opening hatch that opens in order to dock. Sometimes after a ship or something similar has been built and I attempt to attach one of these it reacts like it will attach to the node, then it grays out sort of like it's not selected, but then when i attempt to throw the part to the trash it's like it has become the new root part and anything I tried attaching it to follows with it. Sometimes I'm able to trash these items, but sometimes I have to start an entirely new project from scratch (or load a save, hopefully one made during the creation of whatever I'm working on). I have no idea what could be causing the issue, as it has some very strange results, and any mod-conflicts that may seem obvious (like node resizer or something similar) don't do a thing to help. I have logs disabled at the moment to help the game run more smoothly, but next time I run the game I'll turn on logs and recreate the bug, and hopefully NathanKell or someone familiar with KSP modding can help diagnose the issue.

Latest Output Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmajg41r7kg89hp/output_log.txt?dl=0 (File was way too big for a pastebin) I don't know a thing about Unity or else I would have tried deciphering some of this myself. I know there are a handful of mods you can see that aren't RO related. Some are plugins, some are part mods, most are 1.0.4 compatible and the ones that aren't have been tested (took them out, problem persisted).

*UPDATE* I opened the in-game debug menu and found the following error: [Exception]: MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'ConfigNode.SetValue'.

This happens EVERYTIME I attempt to add one of these parts.

Troubleshooting in Progress

• Narrowed down to a debug error flag throwing up by TweakableEverything involving the TweakableFuelPumps.dll (assuming the same for the docking node with the TweakableDockingNode.dll but didn't check on that part again just yet). Updated KSPAPIExtensions.dll for every folder that contained it to latest version. Testing to see if this fixes issue.

*UPDATE 2* Still experiencing the 'ConfigNode.SetValue' error so I have tried the following:

• Removing Tweakable Everything, Removing RealISRU, Extraplanetary Launchpads (No Change).

I just removed Goodspeed's autopump and Planetshine. I'm starting to run out of options here and since I don't have a non-sandbox earlier career to determine when this issue occured (or if it was there from the start) it is incredibly difficult to pinpoint this specific issue. I noticed that most (didn't check if all of them had it), but most of the parts giving me this issue show whether the part is structural or a fuselage on the basic description of the item (directly to the right of where you would find an engine's thrust or a fuel tank's size). Oddly enough, the regular docking ports that work don't show this, but the inline NASA docking port shows the "fuselage" status in the basic description (by basic I mean mouse-over). If removing Goodspeed and Planetshine does not fix the issue I plan on re-installing Realism Overhaul and Real Fuels and hope that this fixes this issue. I would really rather not have to stick to procedural tanks for everything.

*UPDATE 3 (SUCCESS) After approximately 8+ hours of troubleshooting this issue it would seem the 1.0.2 Update to Goodspeed Fuel Pump is what was breaking Realism Overhaul's fuel tanks. Likely due to a conflict between another fuel balancing aspect to one of the many mods that come with RO. Holy ....... after all that tedious loading and re-loading I really hope that this helps at least one person experiencing this bug, and hopefully NathanKell can fix this issue (though it's not really his obligation), because that little plugin eliminates a lot of pointless fuel-lines needed to help balance aircraft and rocket fuel alike.

Edited by shoe7ess

Hello, I am running into a bug and was curious if anyone else was having this issue.

i recently reinstalled RO via ckan and am trying to build my first plane. the plane checks out with FAR's stability check. but when i go to take off once i reach about 20 kph the plane is impossible to steer and in fact acts like there is a very strong cross wind that changes directions every couple of feet causing the plane to roll and crash. i even took it off the runway thinking maybe the non upgraded runway was just too rough. but same thing happens. really interestingly in i go off the runway and get the speed up to about 15 kph the plan will make a wide circle on the ground. sometimes clockwise others counterclock wise.

i tried reinstalling KSP and RO. and i copied Scott Manley's plane design that he shows in one of his recent videos...but it didnt help at all. the same thing is happening.

i also noticed that my sounding rocket seemed to be affected by these weird forces also though not as bad. after launch the rocket would pitch random directions as it was falling through the atmosphere(didnt notice as much while going up).

Any clue as to what could be causing it?

You're getting some kind of input or drag from something. Hit F12 to turn on the aerodynamic indicators and see if anything is showing a colored arrow or line.

If not, make sure your wheels aren't rotated to face off-center and your steering is locked.

Good call not launching off that runway. It seems to have been neglected since 1910 or so.

You're getting some kind of input or drag from something. Hit F12 to turn on the aerodynamic indicators and see if anything is showing a colored arrow or line.

If not, make sure your wheels aren't rotated to face off-center and your steering is locked.

Good call not launching off that runway. It seems to have been neglected since 1910 or so.

hmm just tried again made sure to lock my steering. removed anything not required to fly. also rebuilt the plane just in case i rotated something strange. with locked steering i am able to go a little faster before blowing up. however the forces are still there. i also checked F12 everything looks normal. something else that i noticed now that i have been able to go a little faster. i can't get it to take off. everything shows that it should fly no problem. and i can reach speeds that should let me take off but it will not take off.

as a side note i rebuilt the same plane in vanilla + the few mods that are used in the plane. it flys just fine. no weird forces. takes off beautifully. i think i am going to remove all mods and install them one by one and see when the bug comes back(if ever). ill let you know of the results.

Could be I'm seeing things, but your rear wheels appear to be misaligned. They are toe-out from center ( \ / instead of | |), which would be their orientation after attaching to the slanted sides of the Bonanza. They also look as if they've been rotated down a bit, which might mess things up too.

Can you upload a craft file? You can use Kerbal X (link below) if you don't have a dropbox or some such account.

Edited by Randazzo

Anyone know why the f22 engine, the one that vectors thrust up and down is missing? I looked through the forum and nothing. I did ckan install.

It's from B9 Aerospace, which does not have an update to v1.0.4 yet. Blowfish has been working on a community patch version, though, so you might get it from him. Check the B9 Aerospace thread for info.

I think there's some mod leaking memory quite bad, about 3MB/s fixed increase. (I'm running with forced opengl and standard CKAN installation + FASA + MJ)

EDIT: the 3MB/s leak is with warp time, without warp leak is lower, but still memory keeps going up

Curious here:

I would very much like to take the realistic engine configurations of this mod (and maybe the rcs and reaction wheel changes), without the changes to capsule size and the size of most other components.

Sort of a "stock with realistic engines" for a 64k playthrough.

How much work am i looking at? Do i need to manually filter through each config and cut out what i don't want included?

I'm having a bit of trouble with heatshields:

I recently attempted a 10.5km/s into 70km periapsis re-entry. I had a 2m heatshield with 200 ablator.

The ablator's skin temperature rapidly rose to 2000K+ in the upper atmosphere, no ablator consumed, part temperature 400K.

At the hottest point (3000K skin), the heatshield's internal temperature was 600K and it had consumed only 4 units of ablator. Then the heatshield exploded from overheating with 196/200 ablator left

I attempted re-entry again, with Ignore Max Temp cheat on. The skin temperature rose to 3600K and internal temperature never climbed above 650K. By the time it reached the ground, it had 194/200 units remaining.

Is this normal behaviour? Why is the ablator hardly being used? Why is the heatshield basically a normal part with low conductivity and high temperature resistance, instead of an ablative ​shield?

Which exact heat shield did you use? There are two 2m ones in RP-0 basic, and more in extra mods...

Further, pics (in the VAB) of the craft you reentered with, in its exact reentry configuration, with info windows (KER or MJ) open if available.

Which exact heat shield did you use? There are two 2m ones in RP-0 basic, and more in extra mods...

Further, pics (in the VAB) of the craft you reentered with, in its exact reentry configuration, with info windows (KER or MJ) open if available.

Here's some:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Images 17+

I used the temperature ignore cheat to survive the heat shield going over 3200K.

The ablator units were only consumed with the rising internal temperature.

I'm currently experiencing a bug with vessels becoming unfocused during ascent... what I mean to say is that the camera angle adjusts downwards from the ship as if it were focused on the lower stage of the ship (and simply fixing it with manual camera controls (MM+drag) doesn't work either). This effect is cumulative and at the end of my ascent to orbit my vessel is usually not more than a blip in the top right corner of my screen, if I can see it at all. Has anyone else experienced this? Besides the fact that it ruins immersion it's also hellishly annoying when you have instruments on the upper stage that needs to be interacted with.

I've had a look around in this thread and googled a bit with no luck (yet I could have missed something). Any help would be appreciated. :)

Edit: now the bug is becoming game breaking as vessels spin uncontrolably and blow up when they get out of range.

Edited by algeo

Without a log file, people can only guess. Please provide one and I'm sure an answer would come quite rapidly.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

I apologise, I should of course have provided a link! I believe this one should be from a related crash (had a few others after I deleted a couple of mods, but I fixed that).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7gv0udgxdzbin9/output_log.txt?dl=0

I believe the only mods I have that aren't either suggested or required by RO/RSS or RP-0 are mechjeb, waypoint manager and science alert, and all mods are up to date via CKAN.

Edited by algeo

I believe the only mods I have that aren't either suggested or required by RO/RSS or RP-0 are mechjeb, waypoint manager and science alert, and all mods are up to date via CKAN.

Mechjeb is recommended, as the concept of "flying" a real rocket by hand is ridiculous. It's just a pity it doesn't seem to work so well.

I'm currently experiencing a bug with vessels becoming unfocused during ascent... what I mean to say is that the camera angle adjusts downwards from the ship as if it were focused on the lower stage of the ship (and simply fixing it with manual camera controls (MM+drag) doesn't work either). This effect is cumulative and at the end of my ascent to orbit my vessel is usually not more than a blip in the top right corner of my screen, if I can see it at all. Has anyone else experienced this? Besides the fact that it ruins immersion it's also hellishly annoying when you have instruments on the upper stage that needs to be interacted with.

I've had a look around in this thread and googled a bit with no luck (yet I could have missed something). Any help would be appreciated. :)

Edit: now the bug is becoming game breaking as vessels spin uncontrolably and blow up when they get out of range.

I used to have this problem all the time, I do believe its a problem with the game calculating the center of mass. For some reason, ditching the procedural decouplers might fix it. If that doesn't I don't know how to fix it.

Also, Krakenfour, I have the same problem. No matter what I try I can't survive a lunar reentry without cheats. Will post more later.

I used to have this problem all the time, I do believe its a problem with the game calculating the center of mass. For some reason, ditching the procedural decouplers might fix it. If that doesn't I don't know how to fix it.

Also, Krakenfour, I have the same problem. No matter what I try I can't survive a lunar reentry without cheats. Will post more later.

Funny you should say that! I've actually used the procedural decouplers exlusively up until recently, when I switched to the TR-2V (resized as needed with tweakscale)... I'll investigate and see if those are the problem.

Edit: Nope. Figured out that the spiraling and explosions were caused by fairing decouplers though.

@Randazzo Oh, maybe MJ is recommended. Sorry. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Testing a number of things. The most peculiar thing I've noticed thus far is that the camera becomes static immediately if I use KCT simulation to start in orbit, but when I start on earth it is centered on the craft (changing camera does nothing - it is centered on a random point in space).

--

Reproduced the bug with only one probe core (suspected that several avionics units and probe cores were responsible, no such luck).

--

Reproduced the bug with a fresh ksp install with the same mods (but downloaded clean without previous settings etc.).

Edited by algeo

Krakenfour: I'd like to help. really I would, but in order for me to do so you have to actually read what I'm asking you for, and actually provide it. :(

algeo: That sounds like an issue that TweakScale produces. Try without Tweakscale.

Krakenfour: I'd like to help. really I would, but in order for me to do so you have to actually read what I'm asking you for, and actually provide it. :(

algeo: That sounds like an issue that TweakScale produces. Try without Tweakscale.

I just tried with a fresh install and only mods that are either suggested or required by RSS/RO/RP-0. Sadly the camera is still bugging out.

Krakenfour: I'd like to help. really I would, but in order for me to do so you have to actually read what I'm asking you for, and actually provide it. :(.

I'm sorry I didn't update my problem text.

The behavior of the heatshields is completely regular. My problems rose from two places:

-I was entering the atmospheres at x100 timewarp. This messes up heat calculations.

-I had unrealistic preconceptions about how heatshields worked, mostly from how stock KSP handled re-entry.

Nothing to worry about. Clear skies. I attempted several further re-entries at zero time warp and at temperatures lower than 3200K, and the heatshields performed fine. Sorry ;.;