The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

CKAN indexes the 'EditorExtensions' mod as the wrong version. Within CKAN the version is 2.3, while the latest version is 2.12. The developer versions past 9 apparently. CKAN thinks that 2.3 is a newer version.

When you want to install both, Kerbin side and Kerbin air race addition, error exception occurs. Seems that both, kerbin side and air race addition share the same folder and CKAN does not like it.

Oh no! We tried to overwrite a file owned by another mod!

Please try a `ckan update` and try again.

If this problem re-occurs, then it maybe a packaging bug.

Please report it at:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/issues/new

Please including the following information in your report:

File : GameData/KerbinSide/Flags/alphastrikelogo.png

Installing Mod : KerbinSideAirRace 1.2

Owning Mod : KerbinSide

CKAN Version : v1.8.3-0-g1560902 (beta)

Your GameData has been returned to its original state.

CKAN v1.8.4 aka Hypervelocity released

Changes since v1.8.3:

• [Core/Bugfix] Fixed a bug where incompatible mod versions would be selected when resolving relationships, only to have the relationship resolver complain they were inappropriate (RichardLake)
  • [GUI/Bugfix] Overwriting a .ckan file on export no longer crashes the GUI (pjf)
  • [CmdlLine/Bugfix] A nicer looking error is shown when mods can't be found on upgrade (Postremus)
  • [GUI/Feature] The fancy release name is now also shown by the autoupdater (Postremus)
  • [GUI/Feature] Users are asked if they're sure before clearing the cache (Postremus)
  • [GUI/Feature] File -> Open KSP directory allows easy opening of the KSP directory in the system browser (Postremus)
  • [CmdLine/Debugging] The --debugger switch will start the client in debugging mode on systems which support it (dbent)
  • [internal] Numerous code clean-ups (RichardLake)

Edit: The systems we're using for build deployment are at peak load right now, and so is taking a little longer to build than usual. Thanks for your patience!

Edited by pjf

Question about using CKAN/KerbalStuff. Since my mods share common assets (templates, decals, etc.) I understand that for CKAN they need to be placed in a separate mod. But what about KerbalStuff? My concern is that by breaking up the install into separate mods, users won't download the WildBlueTools from KerbalStuff, and I'll get a bunch of support requests. I want to make sure that if I separate out the tools from DSEV/Pathfinder, that users will have the complete download if downloading files from KerbalStuff.

'Error in autoupdate: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

Parameter name: index'

When trying to update CKAN.

Edit: Now it works and it updated just fine.

Edited by Nayeen

When using ckan through the command line, is there a way to get the "available" command to list all the mods as opposed to only the compatible ones? I know the GUI can do it, so I'm currently installing my out of date mods by checking the latest version via the GUI, then installing that specific version using the command line, but I feel kind of silly doing that.

So, is there something like ckan.exe available --all?

Edited by Yski

New to CKAN and i'm confuddled.

there are mods that i use, such as ambient light adjustment, mechjeb and safechute, all of which i can install and use manually with no problems, but ckan is showing those specific mods as incompatible. I have been able to use and install other mods from CKAN, but i'm confused about this.

cant get the CKAN updater to work keeps throwing an out of range error

Our build system was being slow. We've got a bug filed to make sure we don't offer users to upgrade until we've *actually* finished building. In any case, the new release is up now. :)

Question about using CKAN/KerbalStuff. Since my mods share common assets (templates, decals, etc.) I understand that for CKAN they need to be placed in a separate mod. But what about KerbalStuff? My concern is that by breaking up the install into separate mods, users won't download the WildBlueTools from KerbalStuff, and I'll get a bunch of support requests. I want to make sure that if I separate out the tools from DSEV/Pathfinder, that users will have the complete download if downloading files from KerbalStuff.

That is a fantastic question! If it works with your current processes, I'd suggest the following:

* Have a separate WildBlueTools which everything depends upon in the CKAN metadata. If you update those tools, then users can download the update and anything using it gets the new copies of the files, which means you don't need to re-release all your mods for the CKAN if just the tools change.

* Bundle that with your existing mods (which I imagine you're doing now), but tell the CKAN to use WildBlueTools rather than the bundled version. The filter keyword in the metadata can be really useful here if the files are mixed in, but if they're in a separate WildBlueTools folder then it may not even be needed.

In essence, this is what most people are already doing with ModuleManager (bundling it with their mods, but the CKAN instead always using the most recent version of the tool).

You *could* skip the first step, and instead fetch WildBlueTools from an existing mod release, but I expect having them as a separate download is conceptually cleaner.

~ pjf

New to CKAN and i'm confuddled.

there are mods that i use, such as ambient light adjustment, mechjeb and safechute, all of which i can install and use manually with no problems, but ckan is showing those specific mods as incompatible. I have been able to use and install other mods from CKAN, but i'm confused about this.

That would be because they haven't been updated to the newest version of ksp yet. Since the update didn't change anything that would break those mods, they still work just fine, but ckan has no way of knowing that until the authors test their mods and release a new version that is confirmed to be compatible with the current ksp version.

Basically, "incompatible" means, "not confirmed to work". There's no way to know if it works until you try.

You can still install them through the command line interface if you specifically tell ckan you want that version of the mod (ckan.exe install modName=VersionNumber), though I'm not sure if the GUI allows you to do the same.

Edited by Yski

That would be because they haven't been updated to the newest version of ksp yet. Since the update didn't change anything that would break those mods, they still work just fine, but ckan has no way of knowing that until the authors test their mods and release a new version that is confirmed to be compatible with the current ksp version.

Basically, "incompatible" means, "not confirmed to work". There's no way to know if it works until you try.

ah thank you, so it's just a case of bad timing, that i started to use CKAN, just after the most recent KSP update.

Thanks for the quick reply

Also, then might I make a suggestion. Allow users to enable 'install incompatible mods', with the mandatory disclaimers. it's just frustrating that mods that do work are impossible to install and try through the app. Just spitballing.

on a side note, i found udk_leathal_d0se's Large Structural Components in the compatible bit. Now he is working on them again, but currently(due to the changes to nodes around 1.0) it's unusable without fixing it yourself. Not so important, but I thought worth mentioning.

Edited by Tank420

Also, then might I make a suggestion. Allow users to enable 'install incompatible mods', with the mandatory disclaimers. it's just frustrating that mods that do work are impossible to install and try through the app. Just spitballing.

this please.

Allow users to enable 'install incompatible mods', with the mandatory disclaimers. it's just frustrating that mods that do work are impossible to install and try through the app. Just spitballing.

As it turns out, you can install incompatible mods through ckan if you're not afraid of using the command line interface. All you have to do is specify that you really want to install this current incompatible version of the mod by typing "ckan.exe install modName=versionNumber" as opposed to just "ckan.exe install modName", for instance scatterer would be "ckan.exe install Scatterer=0.151".

The one problem I'm having with this approach is that "ckan.exe available" only lists the compatible mods, so I'm currently using the GUI to check the mod's latest version number before installing it via command line. Does anyone know if there's something like "ckan.exe available --all" that would also show the incompatible mods on the command line?

You can still install them through the command line interface if you specifically tell ckan you want that version of the mod (ckan.exe install modName=VersionNumber), though I'm not sure if the GUI allows you to do the same.

That didn't seem to work for me. The version number is the one specified in the .json file, correct? I didn't have the foresight to take a screenshot, but it said essentially that the version was not available for my version of KSP, and to try the "--no-recommends" switch. I tried a few variations on this, but wasn't able to make it work. What is the exact syntax for how to do this? I was trying (in the proper target directory):

ckan.exe install MechJeb2=2.5.1

I guess that I'd like to chorus the call for some sort of override switch on mod installation. Perhaps only in the command line interface, so that new users (like me?) aren't messing things up. :sticktongue:

Edit: @Yski I'll try messing around with it some more after work. I perhaps I was making some sort of consistent typo. And thanks pjf for spearheading this project and being so engaged with the community. It's awesome when mod authors listen to feedback. CKAN is a grand undertaking, and I know that there is a ton going on behind the scenes that may not always get the appreciation due. CKAN is a game-changer for me, and I'm looking forward to further amazing things! Keep up the great work!

Edited by DanJourney
Thanks pjf!

As it turns out, you can install incompatible mods through ckan if you're not afraid of using the command line interface. All you have to do is specify that you really want to install this current incompatible version of the mod by typing "ckan.exe install modName=versionNumber" as opposed to just "ckan.exe install modName", for instance scatterer would be "ckan.exe install Scatterer=0.151".

The one problem I'm having with this approach is that "ckan.exe available" only lists the compatible mods, so I'm currently using the GUI to check the version number before installing it via command line. Does anyone know if there's something like "ckan.exe available --all" that would also show the incompatible mods on the command line?

Ah, cool, again pretty new so hadn't even considered or looked at the command line option. Brill thank you.

That didn't seem to work for me.

ckan.exe install MechJeb2=2.5.1

That's odd - I've just successfully installed mechjeb on ksp 1.04 using what looks identical to your command. The message you mentioned happens when ckan can't find the mod (typo?), but you seem to have spelled everything correctly as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure what's going on with that. Copy-pasted directly from command line:

ckan install MechJeb2=2.5.1

In my case ckan is an alias for "mono path/to/ckan/ckan.exe" to save time, so ignore the lack of .exe.

Edited by Yski

EMERGERD WHERE'S MY 1.0.4 MODS!?

The CKAN automatically indexes 650 mods, with another 150 or so under pure human maintenance.

Holy smokes. That's a *lot* of mods.

In the past, KSP releases have been relatively infrequent, and they've tended to break a lot of mods. This has meant that the CKAN's behaviour of not picking up new releases until mod authors explicitly mark them as compatible has been important in making sure we're only delivering *working* mods, and it's also meant that mod authors have been quick with recompiles and new releases.

With KSP v1.0.3 and v1.0.4 being released so quickly, and with relatively few breaking changes, a lot of mods haven't needed to be changed. That's *great* for a compatibility standpoint, but it means a lot of mods have "1.0.2" in their KSP-AVC files, or on their compatibility information on KerbalStuff, and those are the places our indexer most commonly looks for compatibility information.

So, what can you do about this?

* If you're a mod author, and we index your mod from KerbalStuff, please update the mod to be marked as targeting KSP 1.0.4; our indexer will pick up the change automatically.

* If you're a mod author, and we index your mod using a KSP-AVC file, then consider uploading your release with an updated `.version` file. If you're replacing an existing release, then let us know in an issue, so we can make sure we clear the cache of our mod (otherwise the old .version file could get used).

* If you're a mod author, and you're not sure how we index your mod, then you can likely find that info in our netkan directory. The $kref line is where we pick up releases; if we $vref line is present, that's where we look for additional version info that supersedes the $kref line. The spec may help if you have questions.

* If you're not a mod author, you can help us streamline things by telling us what works in 1.0.4.

* In any case, we're discussing a solution on how to handle this amazing world of non-breaking KSP bugfix releases. :)

I have a CKAN sprint scheduled for this Sunday, which I was hoping to use to get our issues list under control, but which I'll sink into all things metadata and compatibility if required.

Many thanks for your patience!

~ pjf

Our build system was being slow. We've got a bug filed to make sure we don't offer users to upgrade until we've *actually* finished building. In any case, the new release is up now. :)

That is a fantastic question! If it works with your current processes, I'd suggest the following:

* Have a separate WildBlueTools which everything depends upon in the CKAN metadata. If you update those tools, then users can download the update and anything using it gets the new copies of the files, which means you don't need to re-release all your mods for the CKAN if just the tools change.

* Bundle that with your existing mods (which I imagine you're doing now), but tell the CKAN to use WildBlueTools rather than the bundled version. The filter keyword in the metadata can be really useful here if the files are mixed in, but if they're in a separate WildBlueTools folder then it may not even be needed.

In essence, this is what most people are already doing with ModuleManager (bundling it with their mods, but the CKAN instead always using the most recent version of the tool).

You *could* skip the first step, and instead fetch WildBlueTools from an existing mod release, but I expect having them as a separate download is conceptually cleaner.

~ pjf

That is a most excellent, most triumphant solution to my problem. Thank you, I will incorporate your solution into my mods. :)

CKAN was autodetecting EVAManager.dll. So I decided to remove /GameData/EVAManager.dll and refresh CKAN. Unfortunately CKAN crashes on Refresh every single time. If I put EVAManager.dll back where it was, crashing stops. So basically CKAN won't let me do what I need to, to get it to manage this mod for me.

Is there something I can do to fix this short of having to remove all my mods, and reinstall them again with CKAN?

bQmrBFN.jpg

Had this error several times. I tried reinstall, have latest version , clean ksp install and its still there. It grays out(I think) the go to changes button so I can't do anything. any help? thanks in advance

EMERGERD WHERE'S MY 1.0.4 MODS!?

I have a CKAN sprint scheduled for this Sunday, which I was hoping to use to get our issues list under control, but which I'll sink into all things metadata and compatibility if required.

~ pjf

This is good news! I think I will hold off upgrading to 1.0.4 until after you get a solution online. Currently, my 1.0.2 instance has 66 mods installed, but only 35 can be installed by CKAN for 1.0.4. I'd really rather not manually install thirty-one mods, especially since manually installing seems to disconnect CKAN from being able to manage updates for those mods. Keeping up with sixty-six moving targets by manually watching for updates is crazy difficult. Had enough of that with Minecraft. Very grateful for CKAN!! Although somewhat confused at some of the hate out there for it. For instance if I venture onto the FAR thread, they talk as if anyone who doesn't install manually is some kind of lazy moron. Apparently they don't think CKAN does a very good job installing their mod. Anyway, I think it's a fantastic tool that takes a big headache out of mod use. I just wish it worked with 1.0.4. That's fine though - 1.0.2 is still playable and I can wait a week or so for the fix.

I do recommend putting something in the UI to force compatibility though. Having it "command line" only is almost as bad as a manual install. Nobody is going to want to do it that way.

Hi, I'm having an issue with updating editor extensions. I've posted in that thread but was told its an issue with ckan?

Anyway I had version 2.8 of editor extensions installed before 1.0.3/4, since then I've tried to update to the new 2.12 which came out a few days ago. However ckan is only showing version 2.2 available (it was showing 2.3 yesterday).

I have double checked on a fresh install of KSP with only trying to add editor ext and its the same only ver 2.2 showing.

Any ideas?

I was looking to install KER which has now been updated but it's not appearing on the list. Can someone help me with this?

Yes read the last page or two of discussion in this thread. CKAN is currently waiting for mod authors to update their mod signatures for 1.0.4. Until then, it's basically broken and only about half the mods will work with CKAN.