The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

Hate to be that guy, but I was kind of hoping/relying on #1499 to be released so I don't have to go through all my mods and release updates just for CKAN. Anyone able to give an ETA on this change, seeing as it was intended specifically to address the kendoka15's issue?

You have to click where it says, "Filter" and select "All" instead of "Compatible".

While you're right about that (I feel foolish), Using "all" doesn't let me install them, only see them.

Hate to be that guy, but I was kind of hoping/relying on #1499 to be released so I don't have to go through all my mods and release updates just for CKAN. Anyone able to give an ETA on this change, seeing as it was intended specifically to address the kendoka15's issue?

Thanks for the follow-up :)

nightingale: I specifically warned the CKAN folks to not push that through immediately, because of how deep the code changes in 1.0.5 turned out to be. So blame me not them. :)

Ah ha, that makes more sense now - the paper trail in GitHub seemed to just dry up. Guess I'll do a couple of no-change releases to keep CKAN users off my back. :)

EDIT: At least I changed the contract packs a while back to be compatible with KSP 1.99.99.... don't have to worry about them for a while. :P

Edited by nightingale

I'm having issues with mono, which I have installed. I go into terminal, type mono ckan.exe, but it says that the command mono can't be found.

I am assuming that you are on a Mac and recently updated to 10.11, since I had the same issue when I did so. See my post here to see the fix that I found:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100067-The-Comprehensive-Kerbal-Archive-Network-%28CKAN%29-Package-Manager-v1-14-3-27-Sep-2015?p=2242469#post2242469

If my assumptions are off, well, maybe it can help you to figure it out.

Is there a place to publish one's ckan export meta file for others to enjoy (as sort of like a well played and tested mod list?)

You are welcome to create a metamod pack similar to Realism Overhaul and submit it to the NetKan repository. Try to make it a themed set of mods that make sense, rather than just all the mods you happen to like, and leave out the kind of helper apps that are largely a matter of personal preference, like Landing Height Display, Chatterer, Control Lock, Critical Temperature Gauge, Editor Extensions, RCS Build Aid and such.

Ah, ok, that's what you meant by running them in HEAD. Wouldn't it be easier to have a development KSP install and a gameplay KSP install, and only use CKAN for the gameplay install?
No. It's often useful to alter config files and use a "bleeding edge" install in actual play situations. I don't build R-7 replicas in my dev install because I just want to make sure things work, which means I miss stuff like engines being scaled wrong.
I would think you're courting problems in your savegames with advancing and reverting versions. CKAN really isn't aimed at developer use, or for bleeding-edge users. That would seem to be the kind of edge case that should be worked on after the basics of dealing with ordinary users with little computing knowledge is really rock-solid, which it really isn't, yet.
I don't revert versions, only advance. E: Except in strange cases as documented.
You can manually deselect and reselect mods, which will then put them into "selected by user" mode rather than "installed as a dependency" when you update. It'll still remove RO if you remove RealFuels, but all the other mods RO depends on won't get removed.
That's useless for me.

Considering that CKAN isn't useful for developers or "bleeding edge" users, what is the absolute minimum I need in my KSP root directory to have CKAN work with it? I'm kind of limited on disk space but I like the file delivery and update tracking aspect of CKAN. If CKAN isn't suitable for my use I would still like to use it to stage mods for install.

E: No big deal anyway, I just pinged pjf. Thanks.

Edited by regex

One problem I have.... The text in the CKAN windows listing the mods and descriptions is so small, its very hard to read. (Actualy all the text in CKAN is to small to easily read)

And chance of putting in a setting to change the displayed font size?

I would love to see the change notes being made available in CKAN when there is an update available for a mod. Would probably require the modders to follow a set template for that to be parsed correctly, though.

(NOTE: This is not, so far as I know, a 1.0.5-related question. Also, I did read the documentation I could find and tried to Google an answer, but neither effort was successful.)

I use the CLI on OS X, because it’s faster and I started out on a PDP-11 and then moved to MS-DOS, so yay keyboard prompts. Because I can’t leave well enough alone, I wrote some simple bash scripts to help me filter CKAN’s output. So, as an example, I have this as an output option:

----------- Upgrades available -----------
^ ModuleManager 2.6.8
^ WaypointManager 2.4.2
^ WiderContractsApp 1.2.0
----------- Marked incompatible ----------
X SASTuningFix 1.0
--------------- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ---------------
* DistantObject v1.6.3
* DistantObject-default v1.6.3
* QuickScroll v1.32
* QuickSearch v1.14

My question is, what are the asterisks meant to represent? That symbol isn’t listed in my legend for 'ckan list', which says:

Legend: -: Up to date. X: Incompatible. ^: Upgradable. ?: Unknown

And, while I’m here, are there any other symbols that CKAN can generate, but aren’t in the legend? I may as well filter for them too.

Edited by meyerweb
Cleaned up forum migration errors (Unicode and hyperlinking were both botched—sigh)

Hello guys. As I was trying to select my new 1.0.5 install on CKAN I got an error message saying something along the lines that access to the folder route was denied. My Windows is not in English so I can¿t provide a verbatim transcript of the error message. Does somebody know why this is? The folder is in the same directory (c:\Program Files) as my other installs with which I've had no such problem. Thanks in advance.

I need some advice as a happy user of CKAN. However I am bit scared to ask.... here goes....

With 1.0.5, half if not more of the modlist isn't showing up. Is this normal behavior? I started using CKAN with 1.0.4 so have never had to deal with a new version.

(If so, it's weird considering many 1.0.4 mods are in fact showing up)

It is very long story. I skip it and head straight to the answer where you can dig into Paul's handy links of the story https://www.patreon.com/posts/ckan-fuzzy-and-3606785

Which might also answer

Which is the lesser of two evils because....

nightingale: I specifically warned the CKAN folks to not push that through immediately, because of how deep the code changes in 1.0.5 turned out to be. So blame me not them. :)

Well actually nobody to blame really. We kinda all jumped up and down and threw or toys around when CKAN failed to keep up with stable builds. After a bit of CKAN bot "counseling" it got smarter. So here we are now.

So here we go with the question.... How do we down vote mods off 1.0.5 compatibility when the authors are not around. Is this the original problem but in reverse?

Be gentle :sealed:

EDIT DURING FURTHER INVESTIGATION : Oh no! Too late here it comes... Red Alert.. Shields up!

Dev Note 23 day ago At the moment, we default strict mode to false, meaning all 1.0.4 mods will be 1.0.5 installable unless marked otherwise.

BOOM !!!!

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/issues/1513

:P

See told you it was good to go down this road but how do we chuck out the odd bad egg in our metadata nest that is not 1.0.5 friendly?

We know your all over this people. Thank you for your efforts. I am still a happy little CKAN kerbal.:cool:

DOUBLE EDIT......

Ok here is a few examples...

[1.0] CrossFeedEnabler v3.3 May 11 (approved for 1.0.5. Is it not in stock now? - Asking becuase it done by the man that can best answer the question)

[1.0.x - OBSOLETE] ClampsBeGone - Stop clamps following your vessels into flight! [Aug 17] (yes it is obsolete in 1.0.5 so can't be 1.0.5 approved)

time to ask an adult for help please https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/pull/1499

Edited by nobodyhasthis

Quick question:

There is a 1.0.5 compatible version for KAS/KIS available since yesterday, CKAN however still shows them as meant for 1.0.4.

Is there a way to get them appear in CKAN? The 1.0.4 ones are getting disabled by KSP on launch.

This is because KIS and KAS use Curse as a download host. Because of the Curse API, we can't automatically get the lastest available update from the site, I will add these updates manually to CKAN.

- - - Updated - - -

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/pull/799

Currently there are almost 1000 mods listed in CKAN. (Nice)

IF one I have installed in KSP is updated CKAN tells me in the Updated filter.

BUT any mods that I don't have installed which were incompatible (for example because it was 1.0.4) that get updated, I cant tell what they are.... ALL I know is my compatible list just increased by 11 since I last refreshed.

MAYBE one of those that have now become Compatible is one I want to install, but I cant keep scrolling up and down the compatible list trying to find whats new... Right now there are only about 300 compatible mods, but I have no doubt there will be soon be 500-600+

Scanning through the list of compatible trying to spot which one are new is an unnecessary and annoying exercise in frustration.

Please either:

Expand the list of upgraded to include ALL mods that have been upgraded (Not just the ones I have installed) or

Include a column that shows the DATE it was upgraded in CKAN.

This way I don't have to try to spot the new mods added to the ever growing compatible list.

You are welcome to create a metamod pack similar to Realism Overhaul and submit it to the NetKan repository. Try to make it a themed set of mods that make sense, rather than just all the mods you happen to like, and leave out the kind of helper apps that are largely a matter of personal preference, like Landing Height Display, Chatterer, Control Lock, Critical Temperature Gauge, Editor Extensions, RCS Build Aid and such.

Hey,

I m trying to port my currently downloadable modpack to github and make it directly available via netkan, since there seems to be quite some demand for it.

This is my pull request, it currently fails checks and I m not sure how to proceed (I m not aware of a pure mod pack available via a netkan entry as reference):

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/2558

Any help is truly appreciated.

I try to use CKAN but I get a bunch of random code how do I fix this

(Latest release)

What kind of error codes?

How have you set it up?

etc.

Since CKAN is working without issues for most (all others?) of us we can't help you without exact and detailed information what is wrong for you...

I get a bunch of random code.
I bet you a cookie it's not actually random. :P

Getting help without posting the "random code" or error messages is also somewhat unlikely.

On a different note, how are you guys handling 1.0.5.silentpatch? time to switch to build numbers for versioning? Or maybe just pretend it didn't happen? ;)

Edited by steve_v

On a different note, how are you guys handling 1.0.5.silentpatch? time to switch to build numbers for versioning? Or maybe just pretend it didn't happen? ;)

The "silent" patch isn't causing trouble, maybe that's why they called it a "silent" patch

The "silent" patch isn't causing trouble, maybe that's why they called it a "silent" patch

I'll take your word for it, but I have it on good authority that it did break FAR.

If that's the only one, all good.

Feature request: Be able to right click a mod on the list and "open folder" to quikcly get to the folder. This is useful for for example texture replacer where i need to open the folder after installing it to put in my texture files. Thank you.

Feature request: Be able to right click a mod on the list and "open folder" to quikcly get to the folder. This is useful for for example texture replacer where i need to open the folder after installing it to put in my texture files. Thank you.

Or you can click File -> Open KSP Directory