WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

Hi guys, love this mod. Just a quick question. What settings do I have to change to alter the blue haze? For me it extends way too far into space and it completely covers the view of the sky from the ground.

g9xFzId.png

Installed on a Save with Following Mods:

Toolbar, Adjustable Landing Gear, Aviation Lights, Color Coded Canisters, Fuel Tanks Plus, KAS and KIS, KER, KJR, Navhud, Planetshine, SpaceY Lifters, Surface Lights, Texture Replacer with Oinkers Skybox, USI Life Support and Alarm Clock. getting these wierd Bugs/Artifacts;

Jdit3cb.jpg

X013vA1.jpg

Installed on a Save with Following Mods:

Toolbar, Adjustable Landing Gear, Aviation Lights, Color Coded Canisters, Fuel Tanks Plus, KAS and KIS, KER, KJR, Navhud, Planetshine, SpaceY Lifters, Surface Lights, Texture Replacer with Oinkers Skybox, USI Life Support and Alarm Clock. getting these wierd Bugs/Artifacts;

http://i.imgur.com/Jdit3cb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X013vA1.jpg

Known issue: "The box issue is from some unknown occurrence that I have yet to figure out. Re-apply the layers (alt+e, hit "apply") after you load a vessel and you should be good. Seems to re-set if you go back to the space center."

Known issue: "The box issue is from some unknown occurrence that I have yet to figure out. Re-apply the layers (alt+e, hit "apply") after you load a vessel and you should be good. Seems to re-set if you go back to the space center."

Okay thanks! BTW how would I disable this atmosphere colour, terrain and water so that I only have the clouds and city lights? and also how do you open the settings menu?

Rbray, some time ago I've figured out a way to get seamless texture details for the new clouds system. Works pretty well, except for one detail: my method just work for non "patterned" clouds. I mean, for clouds with "terrestrial aspect". But that method doesn't fit nice to get seamless clouds in gas giant clouds types. I mean, patterns with big parallel stripes.

So, searching for get a better way to make the clouds, I've found this: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102021

Simple question: is this "solution" for the texture edges applicable to your cube-to-sphere system?

Rbray, some time ago I've figured out a way to get seamless texture details for the new clouds system. Works pretty well, except for one detail: my method just work for non "patterned" clouds. I mean, for clouds with "terrestrial aspect". But that method doesn't fit nice to get seamless clouds in gas giant clouds types. I mean, patterns with big parallel stripes.

So, searching for get a better way to make the clouds, I've found this: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102021

Simple question: is this "solution" for the texture edges applicable to your cube-to-sphere system?

Ah... I had been thinking about this recently...

With cubic-texturing, this can be an issue as you have found. The single-texture all-way tiling is tricky to implement on a texture, and on top of that, it doesn't work well if you want specific detail.

I had thought about allowing the different axis to tile different textures. Would this work for you?

If your in the market for new cloud textures, they two come in handy:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I made them both based off of one image, but with different settings on alpha mask.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Ah... I had been thinking about this recently...

With cubic-texturing, this can be an issue as you have found. The single-texture all-way tiling is tricky to implement on a texture, and on top of that, it doesn't work well if you want specific detail.

I had thought about allowing the different axis to tile different textures. Would this work for you?

Maybe, I don't really know. With the wip version I'm working at reverse than in 7-4: the main texture is much more small and blurry, and the detail is gained with a big texture detail. That allows you to get much better resolution in the clouds and do a kind of fake procedural generation. The most problematic thing to get a gas giant with this method, independently of the edges, is the texture at the top/lower: the pattern always ends in a "unnatural" direction. I mean, that is not important if you want a unpatterned surface (like a rock or terrestrial clouds) but is quite weird if you want clouds details on parallel (for a Jupiter body type, as example).

Is not so much a problem of detail or difficulty. The texture seams can be avoided in one way or another. Is the projection system, as you can see in the next screen:

RH8poHUl.jpg

So if you use a texture for the "belt" and another one for the up/down... maybe with a normal texture detail for the belt and another, projected as polar coordinates, for the up/down... I don't know... because in the multiply tiling that would look pretty estrange, for sure...

I don't want to make you waste time, so, as I can't assure the succes of this... my recommendation is to not put to much effort on that option.

We can always use less detailed textures or more "traditional" detail textures for the gas giants.

ohhh snap!!

Is not so much a problem of detail or difficulty. The texture seams can be avoided in one way or another. Is the projection system, as you can see in the next screen:

http://i.imgur.com/RH8poHUl.jpg

So if you use a texture for the "belt" and another one for the up/down... maybe with a normal texture detail for the belt and another, projected as polar coordinates, for the up/down... I don't know... because in the multiply tiling that would look pretty estrange, for sure...

I don't want to make you waste time, so, as I can't assure the succes of this... my recommendation is to not put to much effort on that option.

We can always use less detailed textures or more "traditional" detail textures for the gas giants.

I guess one other solution, maybe for the time being, would be to fade out the detail layer at those didstances or have an additional larger texture for viewing at greater distances?

Edited by pingopete

I guess one other solution, maybe for the time being, would be to fade out the detail layer at those didstances or have an additional larger texture for viewing at greater distances?

IMHO Is not so important. The traditional texture detail can work as good as always. Just a little handicap to get the gas giants with clouds so detailed as in planets like Kerbin or Eve. Anyways, if this http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102021 works for Rbray's system, we can get pretty detailed clouds for gas giants too. I think. I gonna do some modifications to my late textures, to see if this works.

IMHO Is not so important. The traditional texture detail can work as good as always. Just a little handicap to get the gas giants with clouds so detailed as in planets like Kerbin or Eve. Anyways, if this http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102021 works for Rbray's system, we can get pretty detailed clouds for gas giants too. I think. I gonna do some modifications to my late textures, to see if this works.

I can add this in... I'll just allow the three sides to be different textures.

I can add this in... I'll just allow the three sides to be different textures.

The solution in that forum for the texture edges seems to work perfectly. Let me see if this could look well in a gas giant.

You'll probably run into the same problem. The edges will be gone, but you'll likely have some weirdness at the top. Like I said, I'll expose a way to use different textures on the top, right and left sides, while leaving tiling as an option.

You'll probably run into the same problem. The edges will be gone, but you'll likely have some weirdness at the top. Like I said, I'll expose a way to use different textures on the top, right and left sides, while leaving tiling as an option.

Ok. Anyways, clouds shadows are back even at 0 disfade! Thanks!

Ignore this >BTW scatterer seems to not work in the sky (just in terrain). I need to check if this problem comes form EVE's new version or from the Engine Lighting mod.

Edited by Proot

Excuse me Rbray, no problems of compatibility at all. Was my mistake (wrong typo in the Kopernicus settings). Sorry, seriously!

Oh and btw... is not a perfect solution but, with the correct texture edges, gas giants seems to look much, much better:

6zf2Rovl.jpg

And it's much easier than it seems:

sMbLqzk.png

Excuse me Rbray, no problems of compatibility at all. Was my mistake (wrong typo in the Kopernicus settings). Sorry, seriously!

Oh and btw... is not a perfect solution but, with the correct texture edges, gas giants seems to look much, much better:

http://i.imgur.com/6zf2Rovl.jpg

And it's much easier than it seems:

http://i.imgur.com/sMbLqzk.png

Well, you can't get the detail lines you were hoping for, but it does look fantastic!

EDIT: Ah, but as I see, it won't tile over the same surface then... Hmmm... I'll have to think about this one.

Edited by rbray89

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.