WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

I didn't tweak anything, except commenting out the CityLights config. A couple of weird things:

- the film grain effect on terrain. Not sure if intentional, looks kinda cool.

- z-fighting? Sun high above, turned on the landing gear lights to see terrain better. Flickers. Was on OpenGL at the moment, not sure if important (performance impact is HUGE under OpenGL, btw).

- wrong cloud shadow direction near the pole.

I didn't tweak anything, except commenting out the CityLights config. A couple of weird things:

- the film grain effect on terrain. Not sure if intentional, looks kinda cool.

- z-fighting? Sun high above, turned on the landing gear lights to see terrain better. Flickers. Was on OpenGL at the moment, not sure if important (performance impact is HUGE under OpenGL, btw).

- wrong cloud shadow direction near the pole.

Just a preliminary comment before the pros clarify, OpenGL is generally glitch, and one should always try and avoid it.

For U5, we wait.........

55508576.jpg

May I ask why everyone is super excited for unity 5? Did squad say they're adopting physically-based rendering and redoing the graphics or something?

People think it will be a silver bullet for every issue they've ever had in KSP. :D

I, personally, hope for dynamically-cast shadows (because U5 doesn't have "Pro" version and features like deferred lighting should be enabled anyway) and stable x86_64.

People think it will be a silver bullet for every issue they've ever had in KSP. :D

I, personally, hope for dynamically-cast shadows (because U5 doesn't have "Pro" version and features like deferred lighting should be enabled anyway) and stable x86_64.

U5 will bring in some awesome improvements though, including a way more up to date PhysX version, I think more stable 64-bit modes, and basically a bajazillion shader improvements and additions.

I wouldn't say it's a full polished silver, but it's somethin' pretty darn shiny.

May I ask why everyone is super excited for unity 5? Did squad say they're adopting physically-based rendering and redoing the graphics or something?

Better wheel physics, really really good shaders (aka shiny windows and stuff) slightly faster physics (less lag is always good)...

...and the list goes on.

Better wheel physics, really really good shaders (aka shiny windows and stuff) slightly faster physics (less lag is always good)...

...and the list goes on.

But the real question is, will SQUAD actually integrate any of those shaders?

Maybe the PS4 version push them to make something better... but I can't see why should have better graphics than a PC version...

IMHO, probably the only thing we will notice with U5 will be the multithreading.

I bet that KSP has "simple" graphics for their market goals (KSP has a great potential for educative purposes so the game should work in computers with really low requirements), not because Squad can't make anything better, now or later.

Maybe the PS4 version push them to make something better... but I can't see why should have better graphics than a PC version...

IMHO, probably the only thing we will notice with U5 will be the multithreading.

I bet that KSP has "simple" graphics for their market goals (KSP has a great potential for educative purposes so the game should work in computers with really low requirements), not because Squad can't make anything better, now or later.

But unity 5 improves performance, making room for this. In fact, these shaders are actually very low memory, from what I understand. And besides, don't we have graphics settings? It could be optional that way.

- - - Updated - - -

And also the wheel physics and a UI overhaul is already confirmed, so shaders or no shaders, there's still more to look forward to than just multithreading.

Hello

After Pingopete was release his first test RVE-KSP-1.0.4 i am start to play with his config file a little not much :) coz i like to undestend how thing work, but i have a few question:

A. Default Planet game name they can be replace with planet name from RSS yet ? or still not found a solution for that hardcoded problem, i know you & Nat was try to figure how to make this work?

EVE_ATMOSPHERE

{

Kerbin > can i replace with Earth ?

EVE_CITY_LIGHTS

{

EVE_TERRAIN

{

in all try what i done EveManager generate Exception & that they can be found instant when it in Eve Manager it use apply button

B. Because Pingo was use a old version of Eve-O code line from config are not mach (like a joke he can't keep step with how fast u update u'r version :D :D :D) coz you probabil remove or change some

1. _FadeDist was change in to _DistFade ?

2. _FadeScale was remove ? or was change with _DistFadeVert ?

3. on atmosphere section _DensityRatioY, _DensityRatioX was remove ?

4. I have trouble to find a place were it was set a texture in Eve Manager

EVE_ATMOSPHERE

{

Planet Name

{

Layer 001

{

Code

}

Layer 002

{

Code

}

Layer 003

{

Code

{

Code

}

layerVolume

{

texture = Dir/Atmosphere/Textures/name <<<<< this part i not find in Eve manager (Alt + E)

particleMaterial

{

_TopTex = Dir/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/1

_LeftTex = Dir/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/2

_FrontTex = Dir/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/3

}

}

}

salute & lurking mode activate

first run test: YES finally it working in RSS playground ... it generate a humanguuus Exception BUT at list it looooad fraking texture !!!!! time for serios test :) rbray89 you are on right path!!!

this new version wrecked me game! kerbins all blue and glitchy :o:sticktongue::kiss:

i should probably provide some info. i suggest reducing kopernicus compatibility and making terrain shaders weirder

Edited by Doughy

Few screenshot done after few testing new rbray89 version what make Compatability with Kopernicus!!! you just made my day happy & i bet many moder it will be trill coz after few twiking what you will need to doo all can start port to this version :) it will take time but is a start :)

!!!!Warning!!! Config & texture are not my creation is Pingopete wonderful work what hope it will start update to this version :), all i done is get new RVE version > modifie config for this & test it to see how it goo soo for a real release ppls need to keep close eye on real modder page & give them tons coffee & juice coz they will be busy :)

For rbray89:

1. RVE i think it not load all the time setting what are in config file, sometime it need to be open Eve Manager & hit apply button but i am not 100% sure special config file what i use are very messy

2. From Screenshot 0 & 1 u can see everything is fine & nice but problem came in rest of section of game, but agen it is possible all this to be cause by not correct config file ...

3. All this test was done using "-force-opengl -popupwindow %command%" soo graphic glitch can be cause by OpenGl, i will try with DX11 later with clean config file ...

4. Test was done with a combination between RSS v.10.1 + Kopernicus 0.2.2 (dll take from Thomas P. github site place, last his fix) + Pingopete - RVE-KSP-1.0.4 (modified just a little not much :D)

5. MILLION thx !!!

http://imgur.com/a/eoCBF

Edited by Blacks
i fail to link corectly album from imgur

It looks good. I don't think I like that the sky around the sun is always red. The city lights are defenitly better but when you get close the texture is verry pixilated. The clouds are grait. Don't know why this mod uses so much memory. The frames in flight are crawling. I hope I get my new computer before you relese this mod. :D

It looks good. I don't think I like that the sky around the sun is always red. The city lights are defenitly better but when you get close the texture is verry pixilated. The clouds are grait. Don't know why this mod uses so much memory. The frames in flight are crawling. I hope I get my new computer before you relese this mod. :D

The red sun flare is a temporary feature, which rbray either added as a placeholder for a proper sun-flare-glow-thing in the future, or it is simple a problem caused by something which rbray will get to fixing.

As for the texture resolution, to create high-resolution ground textures would be pretty RAM intensive, unless the same ground texture was used but just loaded again smaller for a small area around the player. Though I'm not too sure. Maybe it will be too CPU/GPU intensive to do this?

The mod uses a lot of RAM storage because where do you think all those cloud textures and city textures, and city-lights textures, and enhanced ground textures, and grass textures, and everything else, ......are all loaded into? RAM. :)

Too be fair getting a new CPU/GPU really won't improve much at the moment. Even with an OC'ed i7 4790k with a GTX 970, a pretty high-end setup, you still will have like 20 FPS for flying through the atmosphere at high speed with like 100 parts. Even at 200 parts out of the atmosphere you'll start seeing sub 25 FPS rendering.

Just join the U5 hype train and hope SQUAD doesn't SQUAD-ify the update (take 3 years with 20 explanations for "why it takes ages", and in the time they took explaining "why it takes ages" they would have done it).

Edited by samhuk

The red sun flare is a temporary feature, which rbray either added as a placeholder for a proper sun-flare-glow-thing in the future, or it is simple a problem caused by something which rbray will get to fixing.

As for the texture resolution, to create high-resolution ground textures would be pretty RAM intensive, unless the same ground texture was used but just loaded again smaller for a small area around the player. Though I'm not too sure. Maybe it will be too CPU/GPU intensive to do this?

The mod uses a lot of RAM storage because where do you think all those cloud textures and city textures, and city-lights textures, and enhanced ground textures, and grass textures, and everything else, ......are all loaded into? RAM. :)

Too be fair getting a new CPU/GPU really won't improve much at the moment. Even with an OC'ed i7 4790k with a GTX 970, a pretty high-end setup, you still will have like 20 FPS for flying through the atmosphere at high speed with like 100 parts. Even at 200 parts out of the atmosphere you'll start seeing sub 25 FPS rendering.

Just join the U5 hype train and hope SQUAD doesn't SQUAD-ify the update (take 3 years with 20 explanations for "why it takes ages", and in the time they took explaining "why it takes ages" they would have done it).

I'm curious where all the issues with performance are stemming from? What kind of settings are people playing with? Are people using OpenGL?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.